archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #761
Jahvon09

Re: New Red and Orange Line Cars

Well, the Orange is the last one to get stuff that has long been put in for other lines eons ago, it seems. Every line has GPS except the Orange Line. :roll:
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:39 PM   #762
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Huh? The new signal technology they are going to use now wasn't there when the EL was replaced, and they did implement ATC (just like on the Red) when it was shifted?
The technology didnt exist?

Really?

So why were BART and WMATA running 100% automated trains decades earlier?
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #763
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahvon09 View Post
Well, the Orange is the last one to get stuff that has long been put in for other lines eons ago, it seems. Every line has GPS except the Orange Line. :roll:
Both the green and blue still use old wayside signaling and have no ATC at all. AFIAK, the green line was the last line to get "GPS"/train tracking (after the highspeed, of course). Also, why would the Orange Line use GPS when it goes in tunnels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
The technology didnt exist?

Really?

So why were BART and WMATA running 100% automated trains decades earlier?
I meant what they are putting in now vs what did decades ago on the Red and Orange and that they couldn't have put this in before on the Orange (not really ATC vs ATO), they did use pretty recent technology for the time for the ATC system. I also wouldn't exactly put WMATA up there as a shining example of ATO, considering I don't think they are even using it again due to remaining safety concerns
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #764
Jahvon09

Here's a pic of the 1st four new MBTA Orange Line rail cars wrapped up & ready to go. To be loaded onto a ship to set sail for Boston.

http://www.progressiverailroading.co...-Line-cars.jpg

Last edited by Jahvon09; 11-19-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #765
Jahvon09

https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=420&h=236
Old 11-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #766
jass

Quote:
Both the green and blue still use old wayside signaling and have no ATC at all. AFIAK, the green line was the last line to get "GPS"/train tracking (after the highspeed, of course). Also, why would the Orange Line use GPS when it goes in tunnels...

I meant what they are putting in now vs what did decades ago on the Red and Orange and that they couldn't have put this in before on the Orange (not really ATC vs ATO), they did use pretty recent technology for the time for the ATC system. I also wouldn't exactly put WMATA up there as a shining example of ATO, considering I don't think they are even using it again due to remaining safety concerns
WMATA paused their automated system after the Takoma incident but is back to automated.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #767
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
WMATA paused their automated system after the Takoma incident but is back to automated.
Really? As of what I read back in April, it seemed like they were not bringing it back anytime soon.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #768
jass

Quote:
Really? As of what I read back in April, it seemed like they were not bringing it back anytime soon.
Hm, youre right, they took another step back. The red line was automated again back in 2014.

https://wamu.org/story/17/04/06/metr...omated-trains/

This country is an embarrassment

Tags
colors, livery, mbta, survey, trains