archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #781
cybah

Re: Silver Line to Chelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
I am referring to this image, where the lights are directed away from the path

And this image where the path is elevated

The first one, I have no idea. Maybe they think the light from the busway pole will be enough (it is on the same side).

As far as the second one, it's there. Look closely. I think there's not one closer (and one cut off in the photo), because that eventually will be graded to its surroundings.
cybah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #782
cybah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchburgLine View Post
Whoops, I meant the 112! The 111 will still be fastest to downtown- it really complements the SL, not directly competing. On the other hand, the 112 is basically a slow, terrible-frequency version of the Silver line (that also doesn't go to the airport), so it should possibly be eliminated (and used to boost headways somewhere else).
One of the ideas is to have the 112 service Airport via the the bypass road in East Boston (same as the SL3) to improve headways (they always get stuck in day sq)

This is also backed up by the Everett Transit Plan, which suggests the 112 cuts both spurs (Solider's Home & Admiral's Hill) and go direct to Airport to provide Everett with a direct connect to the airport & blue line. (which I don't agree with cutting the spur's...)

My idea would be to just chop the 112 into two routes and have them converge at Market Basket at the SLG stop. But that's a topic for another thread
Old 09-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #783
AmericanFolkLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybah View Post
And honestly, I've been wondering when they were going to finish. 90% of the bridge has been done, except for one small section of sidewalk (where it will connect to the ramp to the new station.
The ramp was not originally part of this phase of the project. They added it as a change order so it only recently got designed. Not sure how they thought they were going to get away with opening the line without having full HC access....
AmericanFolkLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #784
cybah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFolkLegend View Post
The ramp was not originally part of this phase of the project. They added it as a change order so it only recently got designed. Not sure how they thought they were going to get away with opening the line without having full HC access....
Yes I know it was a Phase II item moved to Phase I.

But remember the original plan was to have Bellingham Sq station open in PHASE II once the commuter rail was moved. (I can also assume this was because of the ramp)

And not for nothing, there's HC egress to that station without the ramp system. It's a far longer walk but you can walk from the Washington Ave bridge to 6th to the station. And just walk from Outbound -> Inbound to get to the same spot. Its all flush surface (sidewalk wise) between the inbound and outbound. So good for HC access.

The ramp system just makes it a far easier connection from the 111 and Washington Ave.