archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Design a Better Boston

Design a Better Boston Are you disappointed with the state of Boston's current architecture/development? Think you have a better idea? Post it here.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
kingofsheeba

Long Island Bridge

Sorry Mods if there is a duplicate and I only put it here and not the local politics thread because it a) shows that Marty doesn't get it on Long Island and b) it shows how Long Island is another missed opportunity to re-imagine and rebuild the island as an entirely new neighborhood complete with sustainable affordable housing.

But Marty wants to keep the island as a drug rehab center and set aside some of that refer madness money for a $28 million dollar bridge that Quincy said that it'll block? I haven't been too hard on Marty in certain circumstances and in fact, I think that he's a breath of fresh air to a degree. He's waaaaaaaaaay out of touch here. With a tax-exempt hospital site assessed at $103 million, I'm thinking that he could do so much more with this LI.

http://quincy.wickedlocal.com/news/2...plans-continue

Quote:
Boston’s mayor kicked off 2018 by announcing his intentions to rebuild the bridge and put a drug-treatment facility on Long Island. Long Island is part of Boston, but the bridge would connect it to Moon Island, which Boston owns but is within the city of Quincy. Any vehicle traffic going to Long Island from Boston would have to go through Quincy’s Squantum neighborhood, which is heavily residential with mostly small roads. Many of the residents in that area were happy to see the previous bridge come down three years ago and don’t want a new one built.

Ward 6 Quincy city councilor William Harris, who represents and lives in the Squantum area, continues to oppose the bridge. He said he is worried about the traffic and disruption in Squantum, and said Boston should work on water transportation to the island instead of a bridge.

“The mayor of the City of Boston should make the right practical financial decision,” he said. “I urge the people of Boston to reach out to their city councilors who are going to be voting on the budget and ask them what are they paying for.”

Last edited by kingofsheeba; 04-12-2018 at 11:01 PM.
kingofsheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
bakgwailo

Re: Long Island Bridge

Good, I hope he can somehow manage to ram the bridge down Quincy's throat and reopen the rehab facilities on the island. The last thing I want to see is it being passed off to some of his buddies for "redevelopment".
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #3
Scalziand

So he's okay with a ferry across the same span and carrying the same amount of traffic through Squantum? Ok then.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #4
FK4

I'm sorry, but these are all abysmal ideas.

The Harbor Islands are supposed to be (are) a National Park, yet almost every island is either partially or totally restricted from being accessed by the public.

This stems from two factors:
1) the warehousing of stigmatized populations as far away from the 'normals' as possible, and
2) the seizure of land for military purposes during the various wars of the 19th and early 20th century.

Neither of these great American traditions have any place in 2018.

The land should under no circumstances be developed. Nor should the rehabs and shelter be rebuilt. There is no logic, nor humanity, in forcing the homeless population of Boston to line up for a bus that takes an hour through traffic to get out to Long Island, simply to check into a city shelter. It's ridiculous. And the only reason it happened that way in the first place is because nobody wants to live next to a shelter. This error should not be repeated.

Long Island is massive, and beautiful, but when the bridge existed, potential visitors were greeted by a gate and a guardhouse, and access was forbidden. It's time to give Long Island - and the rest of the islands - back to the people so they can be enjoyed by all.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofsheeba View Post
Sorry Mods if there is a duplicate and I only put it here and not the local politics thread because it a) shows that Marty doesn't get it on Long Island and b) it shows how Long Island is another missed opportunity to re-imagine and rebuild the island as an entirely new neighborhood complete with sustainable affordable housing.

But Marty wants to keep the island as a drug rehab center and set aside some of that refer madness money for a $28 million dollar bridge that Quincy said that it'll block? I haven't been too hard on Marty in certain circumstances and in fact, I think that he's a breath of fresh air to a degree. He's waaaaaaaaaay out of touch here. With a tax-exempt hospital site assessed at $103 million, I'm thinking that he could so much more with this LI.

http://quincy.wickedlocal.com/news/2...plans-continue
I'm not sure how Long Island (requiring ferry serve or a bridge) is a more appealing option than the Shattuck Hospital site. It's more central, doesn't require any infrastructure additions or major upgrades, is zoned for public health, and will be available sooner than anything could ever be made available on LI. Especially with the level of push back he'd face on it.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
kingofsheeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
I'm not sure how Long Island (requiring ferry serve or a bridge) is a more appealing option than the Shattuck Hospital site. It's more central, doesn't require any infrastructure additions or major upgrades, is zoned for public health, and will be available sooner than anything could ever be made available on LI. Especially with the level of push back he'd face on it.
I don't get it either. Long Island is already home to Camp Harbor View AND Hannah Farm. No need for a power struggle where there isn't one.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
kingofsheeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post

The Harbor Islands are supposed to be (are) a National Park, yet almost every island is either partially or totally restricted from being accessed by the public.

1) the warehousing of stigmatized populations as far away from the 'normals' as possible, and
2) the seizure of land for military purposes during the various wars of the 19th and early 20th century.

The land should under no circumstances be developed. Nor should the rehabs and shelter be rebuilt. There is no logic, nor humanity, in forcing the homeless population of Boston to line up for a bus that takes an hour through traffic to get out to Long Island, simply to check into a city shelter. It's ridiculous. And the only reason it happened that way in the first place is because nobody wants to live next to a shelter. This error should not be repeated.

Long Island is massive, and beautiful, but when the bridge existed, potential visitors were greeted by a gate and a guardhouse, and access was forbidden. It's time to give Long Island - and the rest of the islands - back to the people so they can be enjoyed by all.
As I said, it's already home to Camp Harbor View and Hannah Farm. So it's not totally uninhabitable already.

https://www.bgood.com/our-community/our-farm/
http://campharborview.org/
Old 04-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post

There is already other stuff there (including the shelter/rehab). I also see no issue with having a long-term public detox/rehab center that is far removed from any temptations for people who want to at least try to get sober, especially given our current epidemic. Long Island worked, and had worked very well for decades (century?) until the bridge literally fell apart. The island has been used for social services by the Boston Health Commission since ~1885 and should continue to be used for the public good.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote