archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #101
F-Line to Dudley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,201
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

The 105th and final Type 7 rebuild, wreck repaired car 3707, just entered service to put a formal wrap on the overhaul program. The last 3 non-rebuilt cars on the property at Riverside--wrecked-beyond-repair cars 3703, 3711, 3719--will be stripped for parts and scrapped.

Hopefully all the bandwidth they'd been devoting to getting the recent backlog of Kinki rebuild returns tested and burned-in can now be directed towards picking up the sub-glacial pace of Type 9 acceptances.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #102
HelloBostonHi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 331
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
Hopefully all the bandwidth they'd been devoting to getting the recent backlog of Kinki rebuild returns tested and burned-in can now be directed towards picking up the sub-glacial pace of Type 9 acceptances.
Funny that you say that because looks like they're out testing in full force today. Also according to netransit they're getting ready to accept the first production GL type 9, 3901 and 3900 being the accepted pilot cars. Lastly, netransit also says type 9's won't trainline with type 10's.

HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #103
ulrichomega
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 66
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
Funny that you say that because looks like they're out testing in full force today. Also according to netransit they're getting ready to accept the first production GL type 9, 3901 and 3900 being the accepted pilot cars. Lastly, netransit also says type 9's won't trainline with type 10's.

Interesting. F-Line, what's your source on them being compatible? The rumblings about sending the Type 9's down to Mattapan make a bit more sense if they won't be compatible with the future Type 10s.

EDIT: Looks like NETransit merely says they won't be required to be compatible.
ulrichomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #104
F-Line to Dudley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,201
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichomega View Post
Interesting. F-Line, what's your source on them being compatible? The rumblings about sending the Type 9's down to Mattapan make a bit more sense if they won't be compatible with the future Type 10s.

EDIT: Looks like NETransit merely says they won't be required to be compatible.
It means nothing's finalized because the Type 10 RFP is nowhere near ready. The trainlining electronics on the Type 9's was revamped to get rid of all legacy analog cruft and employ software abstraction for easier forward compatibility. For the 10's they either could have mandated plug-and-play compatibility as a requirement by having the bidders build to the software, or just included a feature preference for it as a scoring variable for the bidding to see what the bidders offered before making their stance. They started out leaning towards the former earlier on in the study that became GLT...now seem to be leaning towards the latter. And it might swing a couple more times before anything is put out to formal bid.

At any rate, it doesn't mean the 10's won't be trainline-compatible just because they don't have a binding mandate to be so. Since the newest makes are all very software-heavy it's not a big technical hurdle to build in the software abstraction layer for MU'ing with a Type 9. Bidders can assess technical feasibility and costs involved and offer it as an option. If they say they can do it, there's no reason for the T not to opt for it as a feature because universal trainlining compatibility is an asset. Not mandating it yet means they're just casting a wider net for potential makes and builders, and haven't yet drilled down far enough to decide whether this is a feature worth thinning the field over.


BTW...even if a handful of cars go to Mattapan, at least two-thirds of the fleet is staying on the Green Line. Nothing really changes on the fleet management side.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #105
The EGE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 659
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

HelloBostonHi, what website is that screenshot from?
The EGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #106
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 854
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
It means nothing's finalized because the Type 10 RFP is nowhere near ready. The trainlining electronics on the Type 9's was revamped to get rid of all legacy analog cruft and employ software abstraction for easier forward compatibility. For the 10's they either could have mandated plug-and-play compatibility as a requirement by having the bidders build to the software, or just included a feature preference for it as a scoring variable for the bidding to see what the bidders offered before making their stance. They started out leaning towards the former earlier on in the study that became GLT...now seem to be leaning towards the latter. And it might swing a couple more times before anything is put out to formal bid.

At any rate, it doesn't mean the 10's won't be trainline-compatible just because they don't have a binding mandate to be so. Since the newest makes are all very software-heavy it's not a big technical hurdle to build in the software abstraction layer for MU'ing with a Type 9. Bidders can assess technical feasibility and costs involved and offer it as an option. If they say they can do it, there's no reason for the T not to opt for it as a feature because universal trainlining compatibility is an asset. Not mandating it yet means they're just casting a wider net for potential makes and builders, and haven't yet drilled down far enough to decide whether this is a feature worth thinning the field over.


BTW...even if a handful of cars go to Mattapan, at least two-thirds of the fleet is staying on the Green Line. Nothing really changes on the fleet management side.
I thought the Type-10 order was a full fleet replacement to make it fully homogenized and the Type-9s would be retired?
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:58 PM   #107
Jahvon09
Senior Member
 
Jahvon09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,487
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

I got a sneaky feeling that since there's only a handful or the Type 9s, that some of them might eventually be transferred over to the Mattapan Line!!8 )
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:18 AM   #108
Subdivisions
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 135
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by The EGE View Post
HelloBostonHi, what website is that screenshot from?
I believe it's this https://newtrains.today
Subdivisions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #109
HelloBostonHi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 331
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdivisions View Post
I believe it's this https://newtrains.today
That is correct, fabulous little website that just queries the API and then filters by car number. Then usually use this website to locate them on a map if I've got free time to go take photos (aka rarely): https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T...ml?car=G-10051
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #110
F-Line to Dudley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,201
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
I thought the Type-10 order was a full fleet replacement to make it fully homogenized and the Type-9s would be retired?

The 9's are nowhere close to old enough to retire; they'll be around for 25 years. And they will be necessary gap-filler for several years on lines like the B and C that have a huge backlog of platforms to lengthen for the new stretched cars.


They're the most likely pick for Mattapan, but keep in mind they're so much bigger than the PCC's seating-wise that they'll only need to run as singles and a fleet of 6-8 (lower-margin than PCC cushion because they'll regularly be swapped to/from Riverside for routine maint) should cover it.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #111
datadyne007
Moderator
 
datadyne007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Everett, MA
Posts: 8,730
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
That is correct, fabulous little website that just queries the API and then filters by car number. Then usually use this website to locate them on a map if I've got free time to go take photos (aka rarely): https://sites.harvard.edu/~wuensch/T...ml?car=G-10051
Preston (newtrains.today) is working with our team at TransitMatters (TransitMatters Labs, or something, we haven't branded it yet) to take his code and develop a map/diagram to track new trains on the lines. We're near a beta test for it. Stay tuned!
__________________
Commuter Rail. Reimagined. Read the report: regionalrail.net
Electrification + High Platforms + Infrastructure + Frequent Service + Free Transfers = #REGIONALRAIL
Track and catch a ride on the new Orange Line trains at: http://traintracker.transitmatters.org
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #112
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 854
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
The 9's are nowhere close to old enough to retire; they'll be around for 25 years. And they will be necessary gap-filler for several years on lines like the B and C that have a huge backlog of platforms to lengthen for the new stretched cars.


They're the most likely pick for Mattapan, but keep in mind they're so much bigger than the PCC's seating-wise that they'll only need to run as singles and a fleet of 6-8 (lower-margin than PCC cushion because they'll regularly be swapped to/from Riverside for routine maint) should cover it.
Yeah - I went to the various public meetings for the Mattapan Line refurbishment - to be honest, I should probably make a dedicated thread to it. They grand plan was moving the Type-9s in a decade/once the Type-10s start rolling out to it. There was (pretty reasonable) community pushback to the idea, as its pretty much just hand me down's again for Mattapan while everyone else gets brand new fully low flow cars. Honestly sounded to me that the MBTA realized they kind of screwed up on things with the Type-9s and Type-10s and were trying to find a place to park the Type-9s as it is kind of pointless to only have them running for a decade. However, if they continue to run on the central subway, that is somewhat different story. Other changes on the line is pretty exciting, though.

Also, that site for tracking the rolling stock is pretty slick.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #113
Sam Staiti
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
Funny that you say that because looks like they're out testing in full force today. Also according to netransit they're getting ready to accept the first production GL type 9, 3901 and 3900 being the accepted pilot cars. Lastly, netransit also says type 9's won't trainline with type 10's.


Where is that tracker from?
Sam Staiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #114
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,766
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Staiti View Post
Where is that tracker from?
see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdivisions View Post
I believe it's this https://newtrains.today
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 AM   #115
F-Line to Dudley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,201
Re: Green Line Type 10 Procurement

Quietly, 2 more Type 9's just got accepted for service after a months-long delay for correcting some sort of door glitch. 3902 and 3904 are now taking trips along with 3900-3901.

Think they're still all confined to the D Line for the moment.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Green Line Reconfiguration davem Design a Better Boston 601 05-25-2019 08:50 AM
Green Line Inner Ring stick n move Transit and Infrastructure 2 08-22-2015 09:51 AM
Green Line Type 9 Procurement Equilibria Transit and Infrastructure 50 08-02-2014 02:30 PM
Green line Renamed stellarfun Transit and Infrastructure 4 04-02-2011 07:46 PM
Green Line Type 9 sketchs/renderings. palindrome Transit and Infrastructure 37 01-17-2011 12:38 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.