archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #21
EvoNeonLover19

Re: Attleboro Downtown Redevelopment

I'm excited to see what the design will look like. Too bad the developer couldn't secure financing for 209 units, but 136 units is still a big number and great for downtown.

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...c754cf817.html
EvoNeonLover19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #22
EvoNeonLover19

This article is from Feb. so some of the info isn't up to date. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything new about the parking garage?

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...110676dbd.html
Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #23
Shepard

Hi Evo,

Can you give some context to what Attleboro is like, for those of us who aren't familiar? I don't live all that far away, actually, but I have never been through.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #24
EvoNeonLover19

Hi Shepard,

Attleboro is a nice little city of about 45,000 people or so. It was once known as the jewelry capital of the world at one point because of all the different jewelry factories. Many of them have left though leaving downtown kind of empty. The city is trying hard to revitalize downtown. There are lots of stores and restaurants on route 1 to choose from. There's a nice little zoo called capron park zoo. It's not a big zoo by any means, but it is a lot of fun and not expensive. I'd say it's similar to most other cities of the same size. I think the school system is good. I enjoyed going to school in attleboro. The city and state are currently building a new high school. If you like hot dogs there's a great place right in the center called tex barry's coney island. Best dogs in town. I could keep going. There's a lot to say about the city. I really like it a lot.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:06 PM   #25
shawn

Shepard, I grew up in Foxboro and spent lots of time in Attleboro, had friends going to Bishop Feehan and cousins who lived in the town.

Attleboro is quite nice, with solid smaller scale New England mill town bones. I loved Capron Park is a kid, and my cousinsí kids now love it too. Friendliest DMV in Mass as well, IMO. Unfortunately lots of big box sprawl along Rt 1, but two Commuter Rail stops provide real TOD opportunities. Itís overall in much better shape than Taunton or right across the RI border in Pawtucket and Cumberland. Attleboro-North Attleboro-Plainville-Norton have been growing steadily, as theyíre relatively affordable compared to neighboring Foxboro-Mansfield-Sharon-Walpole.

If youíre Catholic or just like great Christmas light displays, La Salette Shrine is a fun holidays night visit.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #26
FK4

I love hearing stuff like this. Thanks guys. I donít think Iíve ever been. A security guard told me about a museum there for industrial machines... it looks quite small but I intend to go whenever Iím in the area.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 AM   #27
EvoNeonLover19

@FK4

There is an industrial museum in the center of town. I've actually never been. I hear it's a nice place though. There's also an arts museum. If you like beer, Skyroc Brewery is a great place.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #28
FK4

^ Good to know.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #29
Shepard

Thanks! My local radius takes me to the Unlikely Story bookstore in Plainville (https://www.anunlikelystory.com/) - beautiful place - as well as Briggs Nursery in North Attleboro. I guess next time I'm out that way I should take a stop in the center.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #30
Shawmut

Link to more planned development in downtown Attleboro: https://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...5d89ba004.html
Plans are for two old factories to be converted to apartments, both adjacent to the train station. Also plans to demolish an empty storefront for future parking for apartments and residents as well has tearing down an empty and run down building and rebuilding it (future use not clear).
Will see if this all happens. This project, along with the apartments planned for the other side of the train tracks, Renaissance Station South, would create ~200 more units over the coming years.
Shawmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #31
EvoNeonLover19

If all of that really happens that would be great. More people will hopefully attract more businesses. That's a lot of units within a couple of years or so. That section of the city really has been an eyesore for quite a while now.