archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #401
Jahvon09

Re: Is parking too cheap?

I think that parking in Boston is way too expensive!
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #402
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahvon09 View Post
I think that parking in Boston is way too expensive!
You are free to think that, but from a public-policy standpoint, we need to make personal car use in the "core" more expensive because it bogs down other, more-valuable modes.

Other modes are more valuable for urban mobility. Buses, bikes and plain-old walking on the sidewalk, in particular, do a better job of moving people per lane-mile of city street (and demand far less sq ft of parking space per user too). Transit is more valuable too, and we need to identify ways of funding its expansion.

Higher parking rates are a double win: reducing congestion and paying for increased usefulness of other modes.

Ideally, the revenue from higher parking rates (both from meters and from taxes on private parking) should work the same as a congestion charge: the money should pay for better shared modes (transit) and the reduction in traffic lets all traffic that remains move more freely.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #403
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
You are free to think that, but from a public-policy standpoint, we need to make personal car use in the "core" more expensive because it bogs down other, more-valuable modes.

Other modes are more valuable for urban mobility. Buses, bikes and plain-old walking on the sidewalk, in particular, do a better job of moving people per lane-mile of city street (and demand far less sq ft of parking space per user too). Transit is more valuable too, and we need to identify ways of funding its expansion.

Higher parking rates are a double win: reducing congestion and paying for increased usefulness of other modes.

Ideally, the revenue from higher parking rates (both from meters and from taxes on private parking) should work the same as a congestion charge: the money should pay for better shared modes (transit) and the reduction in traffic lets all traffic that remains move more freely.
And don't forget the insane "free" neighborhood resident on-street parking.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #404
DigitalSciGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
And don't forget the insane "free" neighborhood resident on-street parking.
I'm holding out hope that if we keep paring the words 'insane', 'free', 'parking', we'll eventually get lay people to critically think about why we're doing that...

I feel like I lose a piece of my soul every time I find myself fighting in the trenches on these issues. It was some consolation to find well-reasoned arguments jumping out against the din of the same battle cries initiated by Maureen's corresponding tweet to her 'e-zine' post (I refuse to acknowledge it as a blog).
DigitalSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #405
dwash59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeman312 View Post
Where are these meetings posted? When a development is proposed and then has a public meeting, is there a reliable place to view if/when these meetings are taking place?
At least in Allston/Brighton, they've begun posting the abutter meetings on the city's neighborhood mailing list (subscribe at http://www.cityofboston.gov/neighbor...newsletter.asp )

For more major projects where the BRA is involved, you can subscribe to the BRA's newsletter at http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...s/get-involved ; I at least think that is where I signed up to get notifications about projects in Allston. Alternatively, you can try http://bostonredevelopmentauthority....&id=bccda74844
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #406
millerm277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
The local NIMBY residents don't actually care about congestion
They care about congestion, but they are using it in a different sense than you are. They care about the very local congestion and not metro area congestion.

They are concerned about when they have to circle for 30 minutes to find a parking space and they don't like other people doing it past their door either.

They aren't talking about I-93.
millerm277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:13 PM   #407
dwash59

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
They are concerned about when they have to circle for 30 minutes to find a parking space and they don't like other people doing it past their door either.
9 units, 11 spaces in a part of South Boston that has 0.7-0.91 cars per household.

You can argue that visitors might park on the street and cause issues, but that is why you have resident permits. This street doesn't actually require residential permits on the weekends, so there are clear steps they could take to make parking easier for residents.

That said, I have no issue with someone paying market price for a lot and building parking spaces. I would rather people pay $70k for a spot than continue this free on-street parking nonsense. These type of prices may convince the city to finally look into charging for residential permits.
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #408
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
They care about congestion, but they are using it in a different sense than you are. They care about the very local congestion and not metro area congestion.

They aren't talking about I-93.
I'm not talking about I-93 either. I am talking very much about local congestion. Building parking spaces increases local congestion. It's induced demand, and there are only two ways to get it under control: properly balanced pricing for all of the parking, and/or reduce the demand for parking in other ways (provide better options than multiple-car-ownership for households, for example).

Under current conditions, so long as there is free on-street parking, there will be congestion caused by people circling around to get it. And for every parking space built off-street, that's yet another car added in addition to all the ones circling around.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #409
Scipio

The Boston city council had a hearing on parking a few weeks ago where some councilors were calling to build municipal parking garages, while Zakim said that his district fundamentally isn't reliant on parking. Wu is calling for (ideally demand-based) price increases to keep parking available and prevent circling. BTD says that they already have 65% of their parking transactions coming in either from the new credit card readers or from the parking apps.

http://thebostonsun.com/2016/11/04/p...ity-of-boston/
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #410
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
The Boston city council had a hearing on parking a few weeks ago where some councilors were calling to build municipal parking garages, while Zakim said that his district fundamentally isn't reliant on parking. Wu is calling for (ideally demand-based) price increases to keep parking available and prevent circling. BTD says that they already have 65% of their parking transactions coming in either from the new credit card readers or from the parking apps.

Residential parking is seemingly harder to tackle, but the City's upcoming efforts to test demand-based pricing for meters should yield some pretty good results.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #411
F-Line to Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post

Hmm...which of the usual suspects is calling for supply-side induced demand with moar garages? $5 says it's Linehan.

[*clickies link*]

Woo-hoo! I owe myself five bucks!
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #412
Lrfox

Quote:
Study finds 30 percent of parking spaces in new apartment buildings are going unused

Itís a finding with major implications for the regionís housing crunch.

Building parking garages is expensive, and unused space devoted to cars canít easily be repurposed for parks, plazas or larger housing units. Yet officials in many cities and towns, pressured by residents worried about losing on-street parking to newcomers, require new buildings to include a parking space for every unit, and sometimes more.
Globe: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...CwtWghi6P3jBeI

This is not surprising, but it's great to see such a public focus on something we've discussed here repeatedly. We don't need nearly as much parking as we build.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:12 PM   #413
Arlington

Mandating that developers (and then tenants) be 30% oversupplied is literally the kind of supply-and-demand mistake that a "free market" is not supposed to have.

Of course, we don't have a free market in parking, we have a command economy in parking that commands property owners and tenants to oversupply something that only car-owner/users can use.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:05 PM   #414
George_Apley

I like how many naysayers assume the developers would suddenly stop including any parking if they weren't forced to have at least 1:1 by municipal ordinance. The black and white thinking of people is so frustrating.