archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #3401
stevebikes

Re: Biking in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeman312 View Post
In my experience, the best way is:
This last bullet is the part currently being worked on.

Here's the description of the project:

https://www.boston.gov/sites/default...al_meeting.pdf

The nice part will be the bike lanes that form a circle between 4th and Broadway bridges, and the path along Foundry St that can get you to the path behind Gillette or over to the lanes on A Street.

Quote:
I am generally outspoken against riding on the sidewalk, and think that, absent separated infrastructure, us cyclists should generally be vehicular cyclists. Here is an exception though. The roads are a death trap of highways. The "sidewalks" and "sidepaths" are supposedly part of the Bay Harbor Trail, fairly wide at parts, with long blocks, and not a ton of pedestrians (outside of Methadone Mile). Plus many of the quasi-highways are one-way going the wrong way. So, for those reasons, this is one of my rare stretches where I recommend opting for the pedestrian infrastructure rather than the auto-centric roads.
Agreed entirely.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 AM   #3402
bigeman312

Once this phase of work is complete, you can cut out my last two bullet points!
bigeman312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #3403
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
@stevebikes, thanks for posting the picture, I am very excited to see that this is finally happening. Pending completion, what is your preferred non-trail way to rid from Melnea Cass through the area. It's kind of hard to figure out from looking at Google, and my sense it that if I'm not careful, I might suddenly find myself dumped out on to a section of bike unfriendly roadway if I try riding from the Ruggles area to the seaport section of the harbor walk.
Quote:
In my experience, the best way is:

I am generally outspoken against riding on the sidewalk, and think that, absent separated infrastructure, us cyclists should generally be vehicular cyclists. Here is an exception though. The roads are a death trap of highways. The "sidewalks" and "sidepaths" are supposedly part of the Bay Harbor Trail, fairly wide at parts, with long blocks, and not a ton of pedestrians (outside of Methadone Mile). Plus many of the quasi-highways are one-way going the wrong way. So, for those reasons, this is one of my rare stretches where I recommend opting for the pedestrian infrastructure rather than the auto-centric roads.
Henry, this was my regular bike loop when I lived in JP - SWC to Seaport, then thru the city to Storrow and back home. The route above is the way to go. Only minor variation for what I usually do is crossing at Albany and going straight across on the Traveler St Bridge sidewalk, to Dot Ave, past Gillette...
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #3404
cden4

I think the City is intending for the official South Bay Harbor Trail route to use Albany St from Melnea Cass to Frontage Road. There are already bike lanes along most if it.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #3405
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
I think the City is intending for the official South Bay Harbor Trail route to use Albany St from Melnea Cass to Frontage Road. There are already bike lanes along most if it.
It actually disgusts me that BU is allowed to have a 9 foot fence across their property, that walls off the road of the medical campus that runs all the way to the end of the curve of the Mass Ave connector. That road has very little traffic since it only served a couple buildings and a parking lot, and could easily accommodate bike lanes that would bypass the unpleasant aesthetic experience of biking along the Mass Ave Connector. The city should work with them to open up the road for bikes.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #3406
HenryAlan

The proposal maps show it following Melnea Cass to the Mass Ave. Connector, continuing along there and then under the Expressway to the Traveler St. bridge. I don't think it will involve Albany St., other than crossing it.

If the image is "too big" and gets modded/edited out, here is a link to it: http://www.southbaytrail.com/Banner_1_MAP%20lr.png
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #3407
BKNA

protected bike lanes coming (eventually) to Albany St.
whether its officially part of the Harbor Trail or not I dont know, but it will be the route to use.
BKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #3408
bigeman312

FYI: The Melnea Cass project will add continuous, official, well-designed, separated bike lanes in both directions along the length of Melnea Cass from Ruggles to Mass Ave, with floating bus stops and raised crossings.
bigeman312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #3409
HelloBostonHi

Quote:
FYI: The Melnea Cass project will add continuous, official, well-designed, separated bike lanes in both directions along the length of Melnea Cass from Ruggles to Mass Ave, with floating bus stops and raised crossings.
Some day it will, but not this year
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #3410
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNA View Post
whether its officially part of the Harbor Trail or not I dont know, but it will be the route to use.
Im skeptical it will be the entire length of Albany, since the road narrows beyond Mass Ave... but it would be nice.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #3411
stevebikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNA View Post
I think the original plan was to stay on the Connector side (as reflected in Henry's image), but they changed it to Albany St.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #3412
cden4

Steve is correct. That map is now out of date.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:08 PM   #3413
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
Steve is correct. That map is now out of date.
Thatís a dumb plan. The city should take over a strip of land that right now is just overwatered grass doing nothing for the BU buildings adjacent to it, and use the ROW for the connector.

Albany should have a protected lane, anyway, but running whatís supposed to be a leisurely bike TRAIL right through a major medical center is idiotic.