archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #141
Lrfox

Re: Charlie Card/MBTA Fare Replacement system

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
Also unrelated to the main thread topic but the US never did chip and pin correctly, they seem to have forgotten the pin..? Credit cards (and debit) in the UK both have pins and must be entered for every transaction. In the USA I've never seen a credit card with a pin but they have a chip, and my debit card rarely seems to ask for my pin even though it has one.
I have pins for my chip cards (credit and debit), but I've never been prompted for pin overseas (they're for ATMs only, apparently. At least according to the rep from Chase I spoke with). Instead, it's always that awkward situation where the person at the store or restaurant has to scramble to find a pen for me to sign a receipt. Fine, but a little awkward in London or Dublin. It's an actual obstacle in off the beaten path places. Apple Pay is my default when traveling abroad now. It really sucks to not have better options with the actual cards - even the so-called "travel" cards.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #142
jass

Quote:
Also unrelated to the main thread topic but the US never did chip and pin correctly, they seem to have forgotten the pin..? Credit cards (and debit) in the UK both have pins and must be entered for every transaction. In the USA I've never seen a credit card with a pin but they have a chip, and my debit card rarely seems to ask for my pin even though it has one.
According to the banks, Americans can't handle remembering a pin. I wish Iw as joking.

Really fucked me last month in Europe when my card wouldnt work at the subway machines. And they advertise it as the perfect travel card!
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #143
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
According to the banks, Americans can't handle remembering a pin. I wish Iw as joking.

Really fucked me last month in Europe when my card wouldnt work at the subway machines. And they advertise it as the perfect travel card!
A zip code works just as well as a PIN, and plenty of American retailers (e.g., subway machines, gas pumps) use zip code verification.

The odds that someone will fraudulently use your chip-equipped credit card at a retail location and know your zip code but not your PIN are just about zero.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 AM   #144
bakgwailo

Quote:
Yes, chip and pin has been (literally) half-assed and only implemented the chip part making it... not that great. Still don't particularly like contact-less RFID cards, and, for a few years, every bank had them, but, they seem to have fallen out of favor/phased out. I just want a pin on any method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
A zip code works just as well as a PIN, and plenty of American retailers (e.g., subway machines, gas pumps) use zip code verification.

The odds that someone will fraudulently use your chip-equipped credit card at a retail location and know your zip code but not your PIN are just about zero.
Yes (although the rest of the world seems to have no issue with people remembering a pin they make up). I do remember that when living in NYC there was a lawsuit against the MTA due to privacy issues around using postal codes for CC transactions. No idea how it ended up, though.

Either way, signatures are stupid should should go away.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #145
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Still don't particularly like contact-less RFID cards, and, for a few years, every bank had them, but, they seem to have fallen out of favor/phased out.
What cards are you using that are phasing them out? They just added the feature to both of my primary cards.

Quote:
Either way, signatures are stupid should should go away.
The big 4 eliminated the signature requirement last year.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/13/pf/...ure/index.html
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #146
fattony

Quote:
Still don't particularly like contact-less RFID cards, and, for a few years, every bank had them, but, they seem to have fallen out of favor/phased out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
What cards are you using that are phasing them out? They just added the feature to both of my primary cards.
Curious, I have 3 credit cards and none of them have ever offered me a contactless card.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #147
DominusNovus

Quote:

When I still have to write a signature, if its a stylus and screen, I just draw a smiley face. Its fun.

I used to write messages if I happened to know the person behind the register.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #148
jass

Quote:

But signature has become more prevalent as a way for places to fish for tips.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #149
RandomWalk

Americans typically have 3-4 cards of various types. Elsewhere in the world, itís more like 1-2 cards. The banks donít want to tax folks memory capacity to retain that many PINs.
RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #150
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalk View Post
Americans typically have 3-4 cards of various types. Elsewhere in the world, itís more like 1-2 cards. The banks donít want to tax folks memory capacity to retain that many PINs.
You rarely need a PIN for a credit card.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #151
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalk View Post
Why not just set the same pin for every card...?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #152
cadetcarl

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a PIN?
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #153
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetcarl View Post
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a PIN?
How? If nobody knows the pin but you, why not use the same one for every card?
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #154
HelloBostonHi

Quote:
Something seems to have stalled and the update scheduled for an April FMCB meeting was postponed to May unfortunately.
I should keep my mouth shut... They announced it's delayed today

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...pFP/story.html

Quote:
The MBTAís $700 million effort to convert to all-electronic fare collection is behind schedule, a blow to a high-profile project that the agency has cast as a near silver-bullet solution to many of its service problems and pricing limitations.

Officials declined to specify how long it will now take to implement the fare system, originally scheduled for completion in 2021, nor are they saying exactly what has gone wrong. But the delays apparently involve technology issues with the Tís vendor
Quote:
The cause of the delay appears to be twofold. There is some sort of technical problem, which MBTA officials have refused to describe in detail; Cubic said it involved a problem with how the system communicates with a mobile network. Poftak stressed the MBTA will not pay the company until it has fully installed the multimillion-dollar system

The MBTA had hinted at a problem in April, when officials said they would install fare gates at some key commuter rail stations by the end of 2020 ó even though the new electronic system was scheduled to come online just a few months later.Cubic has said its New York project is on schedule.
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #155
jass

I tried to warn you all. It's SEPTA key all over again. But noooooo Cubic is an expert, nothing will go wrong. Tying key fare policies like all bus boarding to an unnecessary and delay-prone process is insanity.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #156
jass

My apologies folks. I mentioned SEPTA so they immediately went ahead and did something even worse.

Quote:
SEPTA says the ad program, which debuted a few weeks ago at selected stations along the Broad Street and Market Frankford Lines, is only a pilot, with ads implanted on 20 of the agencyís 300 total kiosks. The idea is that the advertisements, which cycle through the touch screen kiosks, will linger for a second or two after you click them to begin your transaction. Spokesperson Andrew Busch says SEPTAís tried to avoid having the ad-bearing kiosks deployed at high-traffic stops. ďWe may revisit having that one there,Ē he says of the ad at the Walnut-Locust station downtown.
ead more at https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...Crdk0lEjwK7.99

https://twitter.com/gumball_eyes/sta...10539800571909