archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Equilibria

Proposed The Parkway Apartments | 1507 VFW Parkway | West Roxbury

Rather than make it 3 straight posts from me on the West Roxbury Developments thread, I figured that the EPNF was enough to start a thread for this:

http://www.bostonplans.org/documents...apartments-(1)

Renders on p.113. Only the vacant/parking area, not the trailer park (although it wouldn't surprise me if this developer acquires that for a phase 2 later).

Last edited by Equilibria; 09-04-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Shepard

Re: The Parkway Apartments | 1507 VFW Parkway | West Roxbury

^ Note the last parenthesis should be included in the URL

I think it's funny that they call this Parkway Apartments, when this is on the section of VFW "Parkway" south of Bridge/Spring that is anything but a parkway... more like a dystopian melange of drive-thrus and chainlink.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post

I think it's funny that they call this Parkway Apartments, when this is on the section of VFW "Parkway" south of Bridge/Spring that is anything but a parkway... more like a dystopian melange of drive-thrus and chainlink.
Fixed. Thanks! Maybe this project can start to improve that stretch .
Old 09-04-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
statler

I grew up in the area and I always referred to anything south of Spring St as Rt 1.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
Shepard

I've always referred to it as Rt 1 also. At some point they officially re-routed 1 North coming up from Foxboro onto, of all things, 95 South to bring it over to a 93 North concurrency. Not sure why they did this, other than perhaps to get trucks off the parkways? Providence Hwy/VFW is a truly strange stretch to begin with, all the more strange that it doesn't have any sort of widely used name or official designation (not even 1A as you might expect).

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
JSic

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
I grew up in the area and I always referred to anything south of Spring St as Rt 1.
Same.
JSic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Equilibria

Quote:
I've always referred to it as Rt 1 also. At some point they officially re-routed 1 North coming up from Foxboro onto, of all things, 95 South to bring it over to a 93 North concurrency. Not sure why they did this, other than perhaps to get trucks off the parkways? Providence Hwy/VFW is a truly strange stretch to begin with, all the more strange that it doesn't have any sort of widely used name or official designation (not even 1A as you might expect).

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that
No, you're right. MassDOT should re-route US-1 or MA-1A onto the whole thing (Providence Highway, VFW, Centre, Jamicaway, Riverway, Bowker, Storrow). It's really a continuous corridor until Storrow.

It's actually not just US-1 on I-93, but MA-1A as well, meaning that the road is an alternate to itself.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
FK4

There might be some restrictions on US Highway routes that necessitated the removal of the designation. Just guessing that not allowing trucks might result in the fed not allowing the use of the Route 1 or 1A designation.

I knew those roads had long since ceased to be Route 1, but I always thought the highway-ish stretch after VFW - or at most, after Washington St - was 1A, starting after Spring St... and apparently it's not.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
There might be some restrictions on US Highway routes that necessitated the removal of the designation. Just guessing that not allowing trucks might result in the fed not allowing the use of the Route 1 or 1A designation.

I knew those roads had long since ceased to be Route 1, but I always thought the highway-ish stretch after VFW - or at most, after Washington St - was 1A, starting after Spring St... and apparently it's not.
You might be right about US-1, but MA-1A would be state route only. There wouldn't be restrictions.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
HenryAlan

Quote:

This project looks quite transformative for the corridor, especially if it stimulates more and similar crossing in to the Dedham side. I'll be surprised if this happens as described, though. 258 units is quite a bit bigger than the usual threshold for Westy NIMBYs to lose it. And I'm pretty sure 387 parking spaces will be seen as a non-starter. There is essentially no public transit in the area. The 36 bus comes kind of close, but it's a long and not very pedestrian friendly walk. I'd love to see this happen, but I won't be surprised if something substantially scaled down is the ultimate result.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
palindrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
This project looks quite transformative for the corridor, especially if it stimulates more and similar crossing in to the Dedham side. I'll be surprised if this happens as described, though. 258 units is quite a bit bigger than the usual threshold for Westy NIMBYs to lose it. And I'm pretty sure 387 parking spaces will be seen as a non-starter. There is essentially no public transit in the area. The 36 bus comes kind of close, but it's a long and not very pedestrian friendly walk. I'd love to see this happen, but I won't be surprised if something substantially scaled down is the ultimate result.
from uhub:
Quote:
Lincoln says it will not need any zoning approval because the proposed project is less dense and shorter than the maximum allowed and the number of parking spaces matches that called for in the zoning code for a residential project there. It also has more open space than required - including an outdoor pool for residents.
https://www.universalhub.com/2018/ci...urban-feel-new
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #12
jklo

I dunno about this one. Maybe if it was closer to the West Roxbury stop. Plus being next to the trailer park will depress rents. Wonder what they will try to get for the units.

Definitely will need a car if you live there. At least you have several options for commuter rail stops.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
Brad Plaid

A nice historic touch would be for them to buy, install, light and forever maintain Topsy Fontaine the wing-flappin' chicken! who lived for a long time right in that area (but is now on the RKG.)
https://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/...es-restaurant/
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #14
Equilibria

BCDC Presentation. Looks like nice materials. Before/after pics are hilarious on this one.

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...d-b648a91247e8