archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:47 AM   #3861
mass88

Re: Logan Flight Additions

I'll be curious to see which gate they will use.

EDIT: Looks like they will be arriving and departing out of Terminal E. Here is the schedule someone posted over in Airlines.net:

BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

It's a similar schedule to their JFK service, that flight leaves Honolulu at 3:15 pm and arrives at JFK at 6:30 am and also United's Honolulu - Newark service.
mass88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #3862
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
I'll be curious to see which gate they will use.

EDIT: Looks like they will be arriving and departing out of Terminal E. Here is the schedule someone posted over in Airlines.net:

BOS-HNL 8:00am - 1:40 pm
HNL-BOS 1:45pm - 6:00am

It's a similar schedule to their JFK service, that flight leaves Honolulu at 3:15 pm and arrives at JFK at 6:30 am and also United's Honolulu - Newark service.
The Globe article says they'd wanted Terminal C to be near JetBlue, but there "was no room." Only a few gates at C can accommodate an A330, and they have Aer Lingus and TAP to handle as well.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #3863
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
The Globe article says they'd wanted Terminal C to be near JetBlue, but there "was no room." Only a few gates at C can accommodate an A330, and they have Aer Lingus and TAP to handle as well.
With the (wonderful) new C-E post-security terminal connector, this is basically a non-issue, no?
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #3864
stellarfun

Who would be sitting at those C gates with a wide-body between 6AM and 8AM??
Old 09-14-2018, 07:53 AM   #3865
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfun View Post
Who would be sitting at those C gates with a wide-body between 6AM and 8AM??
No one. But JetBlue has every gate in C in action (regardless the equipment) multiple times between 6 and 8 AM. They also use several of the near E gates in that window. JetBlue's flight density at Logan is immense.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #3866
BosDevelop

Non-stop flights to Hawaii! Great news. Logan has never had non-stop service to Hawaii, correct?
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #3867
jass

Who had money on Hawaii, I didnt

Fare is $617, nice touch
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #3868
mass88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
No one. But JetBlue has every gate in C in action (regardless the equipment) multiple times between 6 and 8 AM. They also use several of the near E gates in that window. JetBlue's flight density at Logan is immense.
Yea it is. They have all of their red-eye flights - Seattle, San Francisco, San Jose (seasonal), San Diego, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Portland (seasonal), Salt Lake City and Denver all coming in between 5 - 8 am. Plus all of the outgoing flights. It's a jammed terminal.

Terminal E by comparison is very quiet in the morning.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #3869
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartiro View Post
Hawaiian Airlines to offer nonstop flights from Logan Airport to Honolulu starting in April:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...WCM/story.html

It will be longest domestic flight in US history - about 10 hours. 5 times a week.
Not sure about how the times bank, but HNL would be a great spot for a stopover or layover to Australia and New Zealand.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #3870
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Not sure about how the times bank, but HNL would be a great spot for a stopover or layover to Australia and New Zealand.
Absolutely. And I've done this (Sydney to Chicago, with stopover in Honolulu) and it is fantastic. We were on a Hawaiian 767 on the Sydney to Honolulu leg, and of the ~250 people on board, only a small handful of us went through the immigration/customs line for U.S. citizens, and the rest were in the other line...so we FLEW through. (Tourism of Australian nationals to Hawaii is actually a thing). Not to mention that Honolulu is basically directly en route from Sydney, not out of the way at all distance-wise. And it nicely breaks up the flight from a duration standpoint.

So, yes, Hawaiian air is already on that route on the other end.

Long story short, your observation is correct: a GREAT stopover (and perhaps layover) spot.

Not to mention, if you do a stopover coming from Sydney, your flight basically straddles the international date line, so you end up with this weird effect of being in the same calendar day for some very large number of hours.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #3871
BosDevelop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Who had money on Hawaii, I didnt
Well, there is this (sorry mass88!):

Quote:
A non-stop flight from Boston to Hawaii would never happen. While I don't have hard numbers, I am making the assumption that the demand is not there to fill a plane even at less than daily frequency. No airline is going to throw planes on the route given that fact alone, never mind that the route would flyover several hubs, such as Detroit, Chicago O'Hare, Denver, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

and the Boston Business Journal was all over this 3 years ago: https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/b...i-flights.html
Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #3872
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post

and the Boston Business Journal was all over this 3 years ago: https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/b...i-flights.html
The problem with many of us having spent years on these forums (over a decade for me here), is that we all swing and miss occasionally. I'm frankly shocked that this route happened.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #3873
jass

Quote:

mass88s mistake was forgetting about Hawaiian, who only have hubs in Hawaii, so they don't overfly anything.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #3874
mass88

Quote:

Well props to you for digging up a post from over 3 years ago.

Glad to be wrong about Boston landing non-stop flights to Hawaii.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #3875
BosDevelop

Quote:
Well props to you for digging up a post from over 3 years ago.
It did take me awhile to type the word "Hawaii" into the search box at the top of this thread. I was curious if anyone had predicted this route per jass' post.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #3876
KentXie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Absolutely. And I've done this (Sydney to Chicago, with stopover in Honolulu) and it is fantastic. We were on a Hawaiian 767 on the Sydney to Honolulu leg, and of the ~250 people on board, only a small handful of us went through the immigration/customs line for U.S. citizens, and the rest were in the other line...so we FLEW through. (Tourism of Australian nationals to Hawaii is actually a thing). Not to mention that Honolulu is basically directly en route from Sydney, not out of the way at all distance-wise. And it nicely breaks up the flight from a duration standpoint.

So, yes, Hawaiian air is already on that route on the other end.

Long story short, your observation is correct: a GREAT stopover (and perhaps layover) spot.

Not to mention, if you do a stopover coming from Sydney, your flight basically straddles the international date line, so you end up with this weird effect of being in the same calendar day for some very large number of hours.
I'm actually doing this route this December (SYD to HNL to JFK to BOS). Leaving Sydney in the afternoon on 12/10, arriving in Honolulu on the morning of 12/10.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #3877
adamh8297

Lots of airliners.net items:

Sun Country going seasonal on Minneapolis-Boston and will not fly between 1/7 and mid-Spring.

Delta is rumored to launch seasonal Boston-Lisbon in Summer 2019

Air Italy (formerly Meridiana and 49% owned by Qatar Airways) is planning 4 new North American destinations from Milan-Malpensa. An airliners.net poster who was right about KLM has mentioned Milan is a possibility but didn't say who.

Norwegian is dropping Providence-Edinburgh

The last one has a better source:

Guangzhou Airport announced that China Southern will serve Boston by 2020

https://ftnnews.com/aviation/34947-a...y-of-guangzhou
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:31 PM   #3878
mass88

Air Italy already serves what? New York and Miami in North America?

Boston being one of the 4 adds makes sense, they need to fly their incoming sizable fleet of long range Boeing 787 planes somewhere.

I'd really like to see how Massport will handle all of the service come April. Assuming Primera actually launches Brussels, Berlin, Frankfurt and Madrid, plus Air Italy to Milan, Terminal E is going to be a mess for the late afternoon/early evening rush.

I am going to guess it's too late, but Massport should have just built the entire Terminal E expansion in one shot rather than doing the 4 new wide-body gates for later 2021 and then the 3 additional gates for some time in 2026.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #3879
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post

Norwegian is dropping Providence-Edinburgh
[/url]
Just to elaborate on this one, Norwegian is dropping all TATL Edinburgh flights.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transp...urgh-1-4803827

It's not a mark against Providence as a market, but rather an issue with high taxes (and they are VERY high) making the routes less profitable than similar routes to/from Ireland.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #3880
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Just to elaborate on this one, Norwegian is dropping all TATL Edinburgh flights.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transp...urgh-1-4803827

It's not a mark against Providence as a market, but rather an issue with high taxes (and they are VERY high) making the routes less profitable than similar routes to/from Ireland.
I wonder if brexit fears had anything to do with Norwegian pulling out of Scotland.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote