archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:21 AM   #4261
rjacobs

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

To the several/many experts on here, what is the best educated guess for when this project starts going vertical? Thanks!
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #4262
stefalarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
To the several/many experts on here, what is the best educated guess for when this project starts going vertical? Thanks!
Not an expert, but I'll provide some of what I've gathered:
  • We have no indication this has been approved, right? All of this could still be preliminary excavation, thought it is getting pretty substantial at this point
  • Will be a 4 foot thick slurry wall and they're going to need to ensure their geotechnical engineering is top-of-the-line, based off the neighbor's legitimate foundation concerns and their tarnished reputation from San Fran (I know they're separate entities, just saying, their reputation has been tarnished in the general public). Long story short, foundation/slurry wall will probably take a while
  • They're intending on top-down construction, which could mean steel going up soon after the slurry wall is complete, as opposed to waiting for the hole to be completely excavated and then filled before seeing steel at street level

All things considered, steel could be rising in a few months to a year from now. It's really hard to tell, I'd say.
stefalarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #4263
DBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefalarchitect View Post
Not an expert, but I'll provide some of what I've gathered:
  • We have no indication this has been approved, right? All of this could still be preliminary excavation, thought it is getting pretty substantial at this point
  • Will be a 4 foot thick slurry wall and they're going to need to ensure their geotechnical engineering is top-of-the-line, based off the neighbor's legitimate foundation concerns and their tarnished reputation from San Fran (I know they're separate entities, just saying, their reputation has been tarnished in the general public). Long story short, foundation/slurry wall will probably take a while
  • They're intending on top-down construction, which could mean steel going up soon after the slurry wall is complete, as opposed to waiting for the hole to be completely excavated and then filled before seeing steel at street level

All things considered, steel could be rising in a few months to a year from now. It's really hard to tell, I'd say.
Steel may be what... Trumps ... all other considerations (horrible pun, I know, especially in light of how he's destroying our democracy/constitutional republic). My understanding is they've nearly gained 100% of all needed regulatory permits. But with the idiotic trade war/tariff stuff: do they slow-play it to see if the Orange Idiot de-escalates? I'm sure they'll do concrete pour like at MTower. Regardless, they still must do a massive steel buy for rebar, etc., right? Therefore a swing in either direction of steel prices right now is presumably huge for this project (?)
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #4264
TallIsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
Steel may be what... Trumps ... all other considerations (horrible pun, I know, especially in light of how he's destroying our democracy/constitutional republic). My understanding is they've nearly gained 100% of all needed regulatory permits. But with the idiotic trade war/tariff stuff: do they slow-play it to see if the Orange Idiot de-escalates? I'm sure they'll do concrete pour like at MTower. Regardless, they still must do a massive steel buy for rebar, etc., right? Therefore a swing in either direction of steel prices right now is presumably huge for this project (?)
So glad we have to inject politics into this at every opportunity.
TallIsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #4265
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIsGood View Post
So glad we have to inject politics into this at every opportunity.
I'm actually ok with this because the lumber & steel tariffs are having a MASSIVE effect on the building industry causing prices to skyrocket and estimates to be blown. Because of the market volatility, contractors are getting quotes on things like steel & wood sheathing that are valid for a day only.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #4266
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
I'm actually ok with this because the lumber & steel tariffs are having a MASSIVE effect on the building industry causing prices to skyrocket and estimates to be blown. Because of the market volatility, contractors are getting quotes on things like steel & wood sheathing that are valid for a day only.
I would say it's a fine observation except leave out the part in parenthesis. That's the "political bs" part that belongs somewhere else. The rest of it is totally applicable.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #4267
jl326

Quote:
..So I'm guessing this is also a shit time to undergo fairly comprehensive upgrade projects at home?
jl326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:21 AM   #4268
KriterionBOS

I hope they don't make this a bulky building. 691' is tall enough for boston (tallest in downtown) but if its bulky it will detract from it.

Also Millenium Tower is a very pretty building, the renders for this look a lot less attractive.
KriterionBOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #4269

Winthrop sq park: Closed
617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #4270
BeeLine

Still moving earth around and slurry work.

The park

Last edited by BeeLine; 08-16-2018 at 09:08 AM.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:27 AM   #4271
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I would say it's a fine observation except leave out the part in parenthesis. That's the "political bs" part that belongs somewhere else. The rest of it is totally applicable.
Tariffs do not appear to be a partisan issue anyways. It's more like people who see the negative impact (us) vs people who don't know and don't care.

But yeah, terrible time to be driving up construction material prices. At least concrete isn't impacted?
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #4272
ShawnA

Any update on the garage demo?
ShawnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #4273
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnA View Post
Any update on the garage demo?
Wut? As you can clearly see the garage is gone and this question should have been directed to the X thread, not the project thread in the first place.

What's Happening on Project X Thread:
http://www.archboston.org/community/...t=5089&page=59
Old 09-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #4274
bakgwailo

Here is a question - has this actually been officially approved? I know the garage demo was green lit, but what was the new construction actually ready to go?
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #4275
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Here is a question - has this actually been officially approved? I know the garage demo was green lit, but what was the new construction actually ready to go?
Yes.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #4276
bakgwailo

Quote:
Yes.
Ah, fantastic. I kind of assumed it must have, but I must have missed the official announcement. Guessing we probably have a long way to go to see it going vertical though.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #4277
Czervik.Construction

With all the other stuff going on at North Station / Basketball City and the Seaport, I completely forgot about this one.

Good to see Boston construction so busy.
Czervik.Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #4278
rjacobs

I'm not able to do the research to find a source, but I'm pretty sure that the developers were required to do extensive additional geo-engineering info in order to guarantee abutting property owners that fre foundation work necessary to build this tower won't impact their foundational stability.
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:23 PM   #4279
DBM

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...iKL/story.html

"Now Millennium will get to work on the tower, which will include 1.6 million square feet of office space and condominiums, and be the tallest building in the downtown area. The developer has demolished the shuttered garage on the site, which sits between Devonshire and Federal streets, pulled a foundation permit and recently began excavation work. The building is scheduled to be finished in 2022."

Rock and/or roll.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #4280
bigpicture7

^ Thanks DBM!

And seriously, anyone in the city who opposed this needs to STFU:
Quote:
[The] closing included an initial payment of $102 million to the city the final payment is estimated to total about $163 million...
Truth:
This is not that tall/imposing of a tower, it is a decent design, and it is nestled in the middle of the financial district amongst a bunch of other towers.
Thus:
City gets a shitload of cash, and the overall impact on 99.99% of Bostonians' way of life is effectively zero.

This is a Win-Win for everyone, and all the opposition to this was total BS.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote