archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Equilibria

Proposed CambridgeSide Office/Lab | First Street | East Cambridge

This needs its own thread now, but thanks to Cambridge neutering its planning document site (WTF!?) we have naught but this tweet to go on:

https://twitter.com/johnhawkinson/st...74174055526402

It's pretty dramatic, though. Much more than we'd been led to expect.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
stick n move

Re: CambridgeSide Office/Lab | First Street | East Cambridge

Grabs..

stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
ivyhedge

I find the addition atop the Cheesecake Factory...appealing, in a stupendously faux crenelated fashion. It conjures Sedona.
ivyhedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
Equilibria

EDIT: Found the materials! Only works because this is a zoning amendment and not a special permit. Cambridge - fix what you broke!

https://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/...0211.pdf?la=en

http://cambridgema.iqm2.com/Citizens...1207&CssClass=

Thanks for pulling the renders, Stick!

A couple things from the renders: the red building the first image seems to be the first phase (presumably after the upcoming third floor conversion), as it's pictured with the parking garage. In the second image, the garage is gone and replaced by another mixed-use building. The enormous mechanical penthouse on the red building also suggests lab use.

I have to assume, given the sequencing of the renders, that the last one is also the last phase - the office midrise on the other (Land Blvd) side above Cheesecake.

FWIW, here's the Globe article from last week:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...DiI/story.html

Quote:
New England Development is set to unveil plans next week to add at least 600,000 square feet of new buildings at the mall, particularly along First Street at what’s now an above-ground parking garage and a shuttered Sears store.
And a rendering of the third floor:

Last edited by Equilibria; 03-20-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
JumboBuc

My understanding is that these various CambridgeSide proposals are multiple separate (and largely unrelated) projects. They are not, per se, "phases" of one project. For example:
  • The switch of the current mall third floor from retail to office (see the recent Globe article here) is a relatively small-scale interior renovation project. It can proceed with little structural or visible exterior changes to the mall.
  • The Sears building (and I believe maybe the above-ground garage as well) is owned by a separate entity from the mall. That can be rebuilt while affecting the mall itself only minimally.
  • Stacking floors on top of, for example, the Macy's building is a whole 'nother animal.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
My understanding is that these various CambridgeSide proposals are multiple separate (and largely unrelated) projects. They are not, per se, "phases" of one project. For example:
  • The switch of the current mall third floor from retail to office (see the recent Globe article here) is a relatively small-scale interior renovation project. It can proceed with little structural or visible exterior changes to the mall.
  • The Sears building (and I believe maybe the above-ground garage as well) is owned by a separate entity from the mall. That can be rebuilt while affecting the mall itself only minimally.
  • Stacking floors on top of, for example, the Macy's building is a whole 'nother animal.
I had thought so, but last night's presentation presents it as a single phased effort for the four buildings replacing the anchor stores and garage:

http://cambridgema.iqm2.com/Citizens...g.aspx?ID=2400

I don't think they're stacking floors on the Macy's building. The site plans in the presentation look like they're tearing it down. I'm not sure I've ever seen a mall owner flat out plan to expel an anchor tenant like that. Maybe Macy's has told them they're out at lease end?

Also, from the story back in October:

Quote:
Sears sold the 120,000-square-foot building last year to Northwood Investors, a Denver-based real estate firm, for $55 million. The store is owned separately from the mall, but Black said Northwood is working closely with New England Development on the redevelopment plans.