archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #61
mdd

Re: Union Point | Former South Weymouth NAS | Weymouth

They sure spent a lot of money on marketing for something that will never happen.
mdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #62
SeamusMcFly

A lot of residential has gone in. But all of it is 100% residential with big surface parking lots. No retail.

Prodrive is happening.

The pretty pictures, I have serious doubts on anything approaching this. Unless Amazon somehow picks this wild card, the place is too transit starved to be built at this scale.

They state something like 40 bars and restaurants. That's a bar or restaurant for every 100 residential units. That is not smart development, that's building a carcentric entertainment destination.

I like the big dreams and high hopes, but I also live in the real world.

This is the type of development I think should happen in a place like downtown Brockton because of the amount of empty parcels that could easily be developed with a commuter station right in downtown, plus two additional ones 2 miles north and south to support TOD development to support the type of density and residential needed to support it. This location is too secluded in my mind.

Won't happen as there is no support, belief, vision, etc. (plus all the negatives associated with this type of area).

If this was Weymouth Landing or better yet, Quincy Center, I could see it happening more, but those places would never let it happen either as we have already seen.
SeamusMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #63
ssresident

Couple thoughts: the reconstruction of Route 18 is starting right now, scheduled for completion in 4 years. The project will add a lane in both directions at the two primary access points to UP from 18 up to Route 3. http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highw...tsProject.aspx

The T's ROW is wide enough to add a second track between Braintree and Weymouth, so you could increase CR frequency to here, or bring the red line down as others have mentioned. If you're bringing the red line, is there anything stopping it from being sent into the 'downtown' area instead of having it terminate at the current CR stop?
ssresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #64
Suffolk 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMcFly View Post
A lot of residential has gone in. But all of it is 100% residential with big surface parking lots. No retail.
Yea youre right. I can see a lot more of the same happening here but this shiny mini city they have here in the renderings I really have a tough time believing will ever come to fruition
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #65
vanshnookenraggen

This got a write up in the Times today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/b...mart-city.html

Union Point is such a terrible name.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #66
SeamusMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
This got a write up in the Times today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/03/b...mart-city.html

Union Point is such a terrible name.
And a bs one at that since the jackasses in Rockland nixed the reconnection of union Street Rockland to union Street Weymouth like it was before the Navy took the land.
SeamusMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:21 AM   #67
Suffolk 83

http://weymouth.wickedlocal.com/news...-points-future

These master developers all seem like theyre shady as hell, why can't they get things going down there in a good economy? If not now, it will never happen. I believe Quincy has had similar issues with their master development of Quincy Center.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #68
tangent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post

These master developers all seem like theyre shady as hell, why can't they get things going down there in a good economy? If not now, it will never happen. I believe Quincy has had similar issues with their master development of Quincy Center.
I've learned to look at these proposals and judge the likelihood of their success by whether or not the phasing makes sense. If you look at Assembly they had a project phasing with underlying business models that made sense given the location was already in a densely populated area. If you have a blank slate and show a full build-out that clearly will take many many years and require a huge capital investment then my first question is what are you actually going to be able to build in the next 3 to 5 years and the 3 to 5 years after that and the 30 year plan is just a pretty picture.

And if you are a town or city then plan on what those intermediate phases look like for the town in terms of transportation, schools, taxes, zoning and other infrastructure.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #69
Hubman

I can't imagine this'll ever happen. Might end up something like Assembly if we're lucky, but I doubt the glassy towers, smart infrastructure and fake lake are ever going in.

Too bad, would have been nice for MA to break ground in this area.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #70
jklo

To make it work, you really would need the Red line extended there or Indigo with double track. Neither of those are really all that realistic TBH.

When I was there, it totally screamed "It will never be finished".
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #71
Suffolk 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
To make it work, you really would need the Red line extended there or Indigo with double track. Neither of those are really all that realistic TBH.

When I was there, it totally screamed "It will never be finished".
I agree under this master developer nothing much will get done. I think there's some behind the scenes antics going on. I heard something about they get free water police firefighters and trash service as currently stands. Or they're very behind on those payments. It reeks of this company taking advantage of the towns and getting something for nothing. They will probably go bankrupt and not pay any of their bills while simultaneously paying their CEO $40 mill.

Once the towns can oust the developer it seems they should be able to take over the master plan and sell parcels piecemeal but I could be over simplifying things.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #72
stick n move

Looks like theyre defaulting and gonna get these guys outta here n try to get a new developer on board and the town is “confident a developer can make it work”. Hope so. So everything proposed so far is out the window and if anything does happen my guess is massively scaled back and realistic housing.
stick n move is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #73
stick n move

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
"Dutch robotics company moving to Union Point."

This is cancelled.

Edit: There is “news” but not good news, I came in through google not realizing this was in development projects, figured it was in one of the “lesser” forums... so my apologies on the bump although there is news, its basically that nothing is happening until they get a new developer which they may start to look for soon if this guy cant work it out.

I figured this was in greater new england, because it should be, can a mod move it there please... thanks.
stick n move is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
new community, south weymouth