archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
racerc03

Proposed Washington Village | Andrew Square | South Boston

Core Investments proposing 700 units of housing with retail and public space at the corner of Dorchester and Old Colony.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...ea-slated.html
racerc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
vanshnookenraggen

Re: Andrew Square Mixed Use Development

So hope this isn't an April Fools joke.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
pel_north

17 stories?! In Andrew Square.
pel_north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
JohnAKeith

Whoops. Sorry, I put this under South Boston ... but I included a quote, so both should stay?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
kafox

I can't wait for this. I work right across from this on Damrell Street and this would really do wonders for this whole neighborhood. It also might spur some other development in the adjacent abandoned buildings or empty lots.

EDIT: Does anyone know if this includes the former Crown Linen facility that recently shut down?
kafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Brad Plaid

This is how to make a sizeable dent in a severe housing shortage, not the undersized boutique projects that are so often green lighted because of overblown traffic and parking fears. The article mentions an emphasis on middle class affordability, let's hope that really is their focus and not just marketing gibberish.
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #7
palindrome

Man i wish we had a site plan. Exciting!
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
ParkerChris

I love this (minus how parking is laid out) but would be very shocked to see two 200+ ft buildings make it through community meetings in Southie.
ParkerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
datadyne007

The figure-ground on this is nice, but man that parking scattered around is rough. I like that they are thinking about a shared auto-pedestrian space (what I read from the different colored paving) from Dot St to the first inlet street.
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerChris View Post
I love this (minus how parking is laid out) but would be very shocked to see two 200+ ft buildings make it through community meetings in Southie.
from the globe article
Quote:
Plans for the unnamed development haven’t yet been filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority, but the developers said in a statement they have met with city officials and have been meeting with Andrew Square residents for four years.
.... four years, huh? maybe developers should just start blatantly handing out cash to local residents if they dont fight the development, would probably end up being cheaper than all the redesigns they end up doing
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
West

The Boston Biz Journal reports the developer as Core Investments, while the Herald reports it as a joint venture between them and Ad Meliora. On Ad Meliora's web site, they list this site, have a brief note on where it is in the process, and then next down the list they say they just acquired the 6-acre plot at 511 Dorchester Ave. That's between Dot Ave and the rail yard and just a few reps from the Andrew T station, and a stone's throw from this development being written about here. Currently completely vacant, I've been itching to see someone do something of some scale here.

Ad Meliora's site:

http://admeliora.us/index.html

Core Investment's site is under construction.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #12
JohnAKeith

http://princesdailyjournal.com/2013/...avid-pogorelc/

Old 04-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #13
curcuas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
from the globe article

.... four years, huh? maybe developers should just start blatantly handing out cash to local residents if they dont fight the development, would probably end up being cheaper than all the redesigns they end up doing
Paying off the residents would be economically efficient - Coasean bargaining as they say. Given the costs of postponing development and the lack of profits coming in, I'd bet you could pay off residents substantially and still come out ahead.
curcuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:51 AM   #14
meddlepal

Quote:
Paying off the residents would be economically efficient - Coasean bargaining as they say. Given the costs of postponing development and the lack of profits coming in, I'd bet you could pay off residents substantially and still come out ahead.
I had thought about this awhile back. It will be efficient in the short term but once it becomes an established or known practice the costs will go way up.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #15
Deetroyt

On ad meloria's website they have a grammatical error, "...investors get higher then industry standards returns..." It always blows my mind when companies make mistakes like this, how do they not proof-read these things dozens of times over. A small mistake, but seems bad for business to me. Like if the quality of the website isn't 100% i'd question the quality of the services.
Deetroyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #16
West

If you click through to Ad Meliora's "our team" page, you'll see the President is a youngish Belgian guy who is managing family money, just moved to Boston in 2012 to set up this wing. Plenty of typos in his description.

I speak German well enough to write a decent sentence, with at least some hope of getting it grammatically correct, but I'd never post it on a website without having a native speaker proof it.

Having said that, I also see plenty of RE development websites where the company seems to be American owned, and is also riddled with typos. A remarkable percentage of firms in the business just take a slap-dash attitude to web sites.

My natural tendency is to be annoyed, but it's getting so common I've forced myself to care less in the name of blood pressure relief. Also, I'm a bad enough typist myself, and am not ever having anyone proof my web posts, that there's a bit of stone-throwing from within glass house thing here.

As for the pics JohnAKeith posted, I actually happened to walk by union action, it was quite a boisterous action. I think it lasted only a few days, then died completely, looked like a settlement was reached. I do not claim my memory is getting this right.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #17
kafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
The Boston Biz Journal reports the developer as Core Investments, while the Herald reports it as a joint venture between them and Ad Meliora. On Ad Meliora's web site, they list this site, have a brief note on where it is in the process, and then next down the list they say they just acquired the 6-acre plot at 511 Dorchester Ave. That's between Dot Ave and the rail yard and just a few reps from the Andrew T station, and a stone's throw from this development being written about here. Currently completely vacant, I've been itching to see someone do something of some scale here.

Ad Meliora's site:

http://admeliora.us/index.html

Core Investment's site is under construction.
Wow, if this project happens and then that vacant lot on Dot Ave gets developed, the area could be so much different in 5 years. I work on Damrell and this would be absolutely great for this area.
kafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #18
CantabAmager

Globe Write-up, nothing new to report other than this bad boy is heading to the zoning board.

700 units/600 parking spaces is a bit much so close to rapid transit, but then again this is Southie - I think it's a smart move by the developer to leave a 150 space surface, that can always become something else when/if public opinion changes without that much difficulty from an engineering perspective. Anyone have site plan, additional renders?
CantabAmager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #19
JohnAKeith

Re: South Boston Infill and Small Projects

Washington Village PNF filed today.

DJ Properties LLC (the Proponent) proposes the redevelopment of an approximately 4.89 acre site in the South Boston neighborhood. The redevelopment, known as Washington Village, will include eight new residential buildings, some with parking and most with ground floor retail, as well as new streets, plazas and green spaces (the Project).

Overall, the Project will include approximately 656 residential units, approximately 98,600 square feet (sf) of retail space, approximately 560 parking spaces, and approximately 42,500 sf of new open space, and a total of approximately 2.4 acres of new public realm.

The development site is generally bound by Dorchester Avenue to the west, Dorchester Street and Old Colony Avenue to the east, Damrell Street to the north, and Tuckerman Street, Middle Street, and residential and commercial properties to the south.

Architect is Prellwitz Chilinski Associates

Go big or get outta here.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...old-colony-ave
Old 10-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #20
timsox6

Re: South Boston Infill and Small Projects

Geez louise that's a big project. Is this the first we're hearing about this?

8 new buildings, including one that is 24 stories tall, or 26 stories with mechanicals. Totally renewed intersection of Old Colony Ave. and Dorchester St. Real close to Andrew Square T stop. Dense.

Only qualms I have are that there isn't enough bike infrastructure built in (though there will be some bike lanes and a whole bunch of bike parking, which is a good start), and I think the developer needs to be careful with opening up a new street, as you don't want to give the neighborhood just another clogged up city street. I think it should probably have restricted access, or maybe no outlet on one end.

Two more images from the PNF:

Replacing this:

With this: