archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #161
DominusNovus

Re: Additional lane on the Southeast Expressway

With all this talk (admittedly, almost a month ago) about Plymouth, I wanted to look a bit closer at the figures. Given the vast size of Plymouth's municipal borders, I decided to look up the neighborhood population density figures. Plymouth Center has 1900 people/sq.mile and North Plymouth has 1000 (the rest of Plymouth didn't have figures on wikipedia for density). Given that the bulk of the population is in that area (roughly, that 3a corridor), I think the Lexington comparison is more apt than many were thinking.
DominusNovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #162
Commuting Boston Student

Tangentially related to the Southeast Expressway and Old Colony Lines - where do we stand on the South Station expansion project anyway? I haven't heard anything about it particularly recently.
Commuting Boston Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #163
BostonUrbEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuting Boston Student View Post
where do we stand on the South Station expansion project anyway? I haven't heard anything about it particularly recently.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #164
ant8904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuting Boston Student View Post
Tangentially related to the Southeast Expressway and Old Colony Lines - where do we stand on the South Station expansion project anyway? I haven't heard anything about it particularly recently.
To also give an explaination as well as a place to sign up. I believe a few post back, there was some news about it. They lost time trying to get federal funding. And now that so much time has passed, the post office seems to be changing/has changed their mind about closing the facility down and opening the space to the South Station. So yeah....
ant8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #165
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant8904 View Post
To also give an explaination as well as a place to sign up. I believe a few post back, there was some news about it. They lost time trying to get federal funding. And now that so much time has passed, the post office seems to be changing/has changed their mind about closing the facility down and opening the space to the South Station. So yeah....
Ant -- no mention of it in the 2013-2016 Transportation program which was just signed into law by the President

That means that outside of the preliminary planning money which has already been committed and allocated to be spent on consultants -- Nothing is likely to happen for at least 3 years

Note that there is no menton of either the GLX or the South Coast CR either

The major transit money is for Governmnent Center Station rebuild ($100M + and new buses
whighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #166
Scalziand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
The 395 designation is there because the corridor was to extend into NH, replacing 190 and part of 290 (at least in CT's vision). Frankly, 395 makes just as much sense as extending the 290 or 190 designation. What doesn't make sense is having 2 designations.

There isn't a 2-digit number available in the 90s, so I think that's the best you can do.
You might as well call it I89, and add a link between Leominster and Nashua to connect it to the existing I89 via US3 and I93.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #167
bosma

I was lucky enough today that vehicles were broken down in the zipper lane both on my commute into Boston and out of boston today. Its like hitting the lottery, I save about 10 minutes on way in and 20 on way out of boston when there is a breakdown in zipper lane. I guess I should play the lottery tonight.

Those people who use the on/off ramps in quincy to try to get ahead really slow traffic down too, wish there was a way to shame them without getting accused of road rage.. its really like somebody cutting in front of you in line.

Bring on the tolls I will pay
bosma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #168
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosma View Post
I was lucky enough today that vehicles were broken down in the zipper lane both on my commute into Boston and out of boston today. Its like hitting the lottery, I save about 10 minutes on way in and 20 on way out of boston when there is a breakdown in zipper lane. I guess I should play the lottery tonight.

Those people who use the on/off ramps in quincy to try to get ahead really slow traffic down too, wish there was a way to shame them without getting accused of road rage.. its really like somebody cutting in front of you in line.

Bring on the tolls I will pay
I'd personally love to see Lexus lanes replacing the HOV lanes. I probably wouldn't pay very often, but it'd do so much to alleviate traffic.
DominusNovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #169
omaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosma View Post
They really do that? Like get off at exit 9 and continue onto the onramp or between 8 and 9?

Talk about moronic.

I've been saying since I moved to Boston that probably 75 percent of the traffic in the city could be alleviated by smart light synchronization. For freeways the same could be said of rationalizing the absurd interchange designs with simple fixes like extended on/off ramps for more merging space.
omaja is offline   Reply With Quote