archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #5281
commuter guy

Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

My 2 cents - in theory I like the idea of dynamic pricing but intuition tells me the mbta adjusted the thresholds so they could hide the reality that this is a fairly large cost increase for commuters overall. The net result is that the mbta project millions of dollars of extra revenue to be paid by the commuters as result of these changes.

For example, I park a Riverside lot for the D line usually 2 or 3 times a week. The parking lot is typically maybe 60% full during the day, yet they plan to keep the rate the same at $6 a day. Reading the headlines, I would be under the impression that the they would be lowering the price of parking until the lot nears capacity. The amount of cars parking in riverside has apparently decreased in recent years - when the rate went from approx. $3 a day to $5.75 (then up to $6 shortly thereafter).

From a public policy point of view, the cost of mass transit for commuters using it to commute the suburbs to the city should be at level to incentivize people to use it. I'm all for congestion pricing for single occupancy cars and dynamic parking pricing on parking meters etc. but this seems a bit aggressive for commuters trying to use mass transit for their daily commute.
commuter guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #5282
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
On Recreation Road? That would be a tough sell that it would be worth it compared to what's there now.

There are tracks at Riverside which connect into the Worcester Line but would need upgrading for real use. I think they use the tracks today for testing and training purposes.
Well, weíre really into transit pitches here, but what about taking something out of that office park on Riverside Rd? And/or deck over 128 just north of where the CR tracks cross it. That said, putting all the extra ramps everywhere would be a nightmare (I second guess myself on the Braintree split ramps to this day, and I travel that nearly daily).
Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM   #5283
bigeman312

What about Recreation Rd? It already has good ramp access to/from I-95 S/N and I-90 E/W, as well as undeveloped land.
bigeman312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #5284
cadetcarl

Some of these are brutal. It's one thing for congestion pricing of roads and street parking, but what are they expecting to happen when they soak people for this much? I assumed park-and-ride is exactly the kind of behavior they'd want to encourage but commuters are going to get clobbered for it.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #5285
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeman312 View Post
Many people drive from Arlington, Lexington, and Bedford to park at Alewife (especially in the winter). Thereís no reason to believe Belmont and Waltham would be any different. The Minuteman and Mass Central/Wayside are great things. Many people do bike to Alewife and thatís great! But bike infrastructure is not enough for those towns. Arlington would be well-served by the Red Line. Extending the Red Line to Arlington Center (cut-and-cover under Minuteman, for example) would be a net positive for regional connectivity and would alleviate a bit of pressure from Alewife parking. Improving transit connection in belmont, Waltham, and Lexington would do even more to that end, especially if there was a park and ride (either Commuter Rail or Red Line) at 128 in those communities. Some people donít, wonít, and or canít bike 12 months a year in this region. And thatís okay.
Arlington fought against the red line extension in the 80s.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #5286
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetcarl View Post
Some of these are brutal. It's one thing for congestion pricing of roads and street parking, but what are they expecting to happen when they soak people for this much? I assumed park-and-ride is exactly the kind of behavior they'd want to encourage but commuters are going to get clobbered for it.
If the lots are full then the limiting factor is capacity, not price. It makes no sense to keep prices low to "encourage" commuters if at those low prices the lots are full and commuters have nowhere to park. I'd agree that prices should be kept low to encourage public transit use if the lots had infinite capacity, but they don't.

Garage pricing should be treated the same as street parking: we don't want rates so high that spaces sit empty or so low that the lots fill up early and potential parkers are turned away. Rates should be set at the equilibrium point where most spaces are full but there are just enough available spots so that nobody gets turned away. Obviously it's impossible to achieve this balance perfectly in the real world as demand fluctuates constantly and prices will always have some stickiness and will never be able to change fast enough to keep up perfectly. That doesn't mean that we can't get closer to achieving this balance, or that we shouldn't even try.

So yeah, increase prices at lots that fill up when they fill up and decrease prices at lots that don't fill up when they don't fill up. This might be tough to swallow for some people who benefit from the current pricing set-up, but it will lead to better utilization of resources overall.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #5287
cadetcarl

You're not wrong at all, I totally agree. I'm just a little frustrated, this is going to ding me for an extra $60/mo or $700/yr +/-.

Though in other instances I've been fond of saying, if you can afford a car, you can afford to park it and insure it and fuel it and maintain it. Guess it's my turn.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #5288
commuter guy

The problem is that they are too aggressively structuring the dynamic pricing model. I understand the rationale for raising rates at garages that are at 100% capacity.

However the problem is on the other end with the lots that are below full capacity, they are not lowering the cost of parking at my lot, Riverside, which is way below capacity each work day. It will remain $6 a day. As I stated previously, the # of cars parked at Riverside declined after the last significant parking rate increase ($3 to $6) and in my estimation has never fully recovered. It seems like under the dynamic pricing model, they should start lowering parking rates to recapture the amount of commuters who used to park there years ago prior to them significantly increasing the parking rate.

That is not going to happen, of course, because the bottom line is that this is not a revenue neutral proposal. The share of commuters who are going to pay significantly higher parking fees is going to substantially outweigh the commuters who get a break with lower parking rates.
commuter guy is offline   Reply With Quote