archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #41
JumboBuc

Re: How to post an image

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
OK, so is there an image sever that both hosts and resizes pictures? As far as I can tell imgurs will only let you crop but not resize pictures now. So I had to upload my photo to here, resize it, download the smaller pic to my pc and then re-upload it back to imgur. That seems ridiculous
datadyne pointed out that if you add an "h" to the end of the imgur url (before the ".jpg" or whatever) it automatically shrinks it to "huge" size, which fits archBoston's size standard.

For example, uploading a pic to imgur might give you a link that ends "...qhB7b.jpg". Adding an "h" gives you "...qhB7bh.jpg", which you can post as a resized image.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #42
DZH22

I recommend flickr. It gives me literally a free terabyte of space! Use the BB Code to share whatever size you want.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #43
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
datadyne pointed out that if you add an "h" to the end of the imgur url (before the ".jpg" or whatever) it automatically shrinks it to "huge" size, which fits archBoston's size standard.

For example, uploading a pic to imgur might give you a link that ends "...qhB7b.jpg". Adding an "h" gives you "...qhB7bh.jpg", which you can post as a resized image.
You can do it manually like that or let Imgur actually append the suffix on for you in the size dropdown in the generate image links window. Helpful when you have multiple images.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #44
Scipio

Photobucket is shutting down their free hosting services: https://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopo...mJo#.xbAkjEPMb

Lots of old posts on this forum (and elsewhere) will become unreadable.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #45
odurandina

how photobucket suicided itself.....

http://www.csoonline.com/article/320...om-demand.html
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #46
Joel N. Weber II

Does the forum software look at the file name extension in the image URL? I'm wondering why a firefox screenshot doesn't seem to work when I try to put https://screenshots.firefox.com/4BhU.../streetmix.net inside an img tag:

(If you start the reply process may be able to see the img tag I tried to insert here.)
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #47
statler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
Does the forum software look at the file name extension in the image URL? I'm wondering why a firefox screenshot doesn't seem to work when I try to put https://screenshots.firefox.com/4BhU.../streetmix.net inside an img tag:

(If you start the reply process may be able to see the img tag I tried to insert here.)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the forum software requires a .jpg, .jpeg, .png or .gif format. There may be other formats it can handle but those are the only ones I'm sure of.
statler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #48
Justin7

Yeah, that's not an image, it's a web page. If you click on the image on the page it isolates https://screenshotscdn.firefoxuserco...18be4880fa.png which is what you want:

"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #49
Joel N. Weber II

Yes, thanks for your help in pointing out that there is a URL ending in .png if you isolate just the image. (I'd been assuming that there was a URL that didn't end in .png which was nevertheless a png or other well known graphics format file, which can happen since HTTP has a Content-Type field, but that turns out to have not been the issue here.)

Since the default screenshots of streetmix are huge, it looks like an effective approach to cutting them down using firefox and the netpbm package is to make a screenshot of the visible area, download that screenshot, run

$ pngtopnm 'Screenshot_2018-07-18 Mass Ave w of Pearl Streetmix.png' | pnmcut -top 30 -bottom -100 | pnmscale .5 | pnmtopng >MassAvewoPearl.png

open up the resulting png, take another screenshot, click on the happy face to get the default area, and then set that for indefinite retention and get the .png URL to paste into the img tag.

Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote