archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #2981
lexicon506

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post
It has arrived on the annex in E Boston.
I would love to see this area transform into something like NDSM Wharf in Amsterdam--an industrial waterfront turned over to creative uses, galleries/rehearsal spaces, performance venues, flea markets, live-work studios--all while maintaining a distinctly industrial look. The ICA Watershed is a great first step.
lexicon506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #2982
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon506 View Post
I would love to see this area transform into something like NDSM Wharf in Amsterdam...
I agree, and the kernel of that is present here. Given time and the input from like-minded folks, we may see that sort of result. The main obstacle to that result is the unabated proliferation of luxury housing on the waterfront, and the ripple effect into the established Jeffries Point neighborhood.

Some of us are also advocating for similar urbanistic gestures and uses to HYM and the BPDA for the masterplan at Suffolk Downs.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #2983
jl326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
I agree, and the kernel of that is present here. Given time and the input from like-minded folks, we may see that sort of result. The main obstacle to that result is the unabated proliferation of luxury housing on the waterfront, and the ripple effect into the established Jeffries Point neighborhood.

Some of us are also advocating for similar urbanistic gestures and uses to HYM and the BPDA for the masterplan at Suffolk Downs.
I think that depends on who you talk to and what areas you include in "waterfront." Some would argue that the residential-to-office ratio in Seaport is very low in the Seaport (I've seen outspoken SJWs point to figures such as 20-30% ratio but I didn't do the math), even with the upcoming M parcels for example.

If you're also including Jeffries Point, then maybe that's a different story. But that waterfront is very different than Seaport.

I'm not saying whether you're right or wrong, but just interesting that there are vastly different opinions out there re: "unabashed proliferation of housing" vs. "not even close to adequate levels of housing" in the same area.
jl326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #2984
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl326 View Post
I think that depends on who you talk to and what areas you include in "waterfront." Some would argue that the residential-to-office ratio in Seaport is very low in the Seaport (I've seen outspoken SJWs point to figures such as 20-30% ratio but I didn't do the math), even with the upcoming M parcels for example.

If you're also including Jeffries Point, then maybe that's a different story. But that waterfront is very different than Seaport.

I'm not saying whether you're right or wrong, but just interesting that there are vastly different opinions out there re: "unabashed proliferation of housing" vs. "not even close to adequate levels of housing" in the same area.
He's clearly referring to East Boston waterfront. They're talking about the shipyard area where the ICA Watershed is, and he references Jeffries Point by name. He's not including the Seaport at all in his statement...
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #2985
Beton Brut

I'm speaking specifically about the East Boston Waterfront and the established neighborhoods that directly abut the area. As I'm sure you're aware, there's nothing short of a development feeding frenzy in Jeffries Point and Maverick Square; developments like Clippership and Portside are chum in the water.

If you give a close read to Boston's recent history (i.e. last 50 years), we know that neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain and the South End were revived by an infusion of "outsiders" (Latinos, artists, LGBTQ, political progressives). The very same thing is happening here, folks who are looking for a good value-for-money in an area that has been dispossessed for over a generation.

As with any other community, there are pros and cons to the demand that's been created in East Boston, some of it is "organic," and a lot of it is manufactured by marketing/PR. I think it's fair to say that people who have lived in East Boston (if only for a few years) have a much clearer understanding about what makes the place attractive and vital than developers, their lawyers and financiers, or the BPDA.

~ Justin7
Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #2986
Brad Plaid

ICA Water Shed gallery is free admission. https://www.icaboston.org/ica-watershed
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #2987
mdd

I'm not digging the new logo. Ah well.
mdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #2988
Beton Brut

^ I also preferred the red, vaguely Russian constructivist pennant.

I understand why a non-collecting museum would want to rebrand more often, to mirror the transitory nature of contemporary art.

~ Justin7
Old 06-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #2989
jl326

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
He's clearly referring to East Boston waterfront. They're talking about the shipyard area where the ICA Watershed is, and he references Jeffries Point by name. He's not including the Seaport at all in his statement...
Quote:
I'm speaking specifically about the East Boston Waterfront and the established neighborhoods that directly abut the area. As I'm sure you're aware, there's nothing short of a development feeding frenzy in Jeffries Point and Maverick Square; developments like Clippership and Portside are chum in the water.

If you give a close read to Boston's recent history (i.e. last 50 years), we know that neighborhoods like Jamaica Plain and the South End were revived by an infusion of "outsiders" (Latinos, artists, LGBTQ, political progressives). The very same thing is happening here, folks who are looking for a good value-for-money in an area that has been dispossessed for over a generation.

As with any other community, there are pros and cons to the demand that's been created in East Boston, some of it is "organic," and a lot of it is manufactured by marketing/PR. I think it's fair to say that people who have lived in East Boston (if only for a few years) have a much clearer understanding about what makes the place attractive and vital than developers, their lawyers and financiers, or the BPDA.
Ok, my mistake. Missed the part in an earlier post where ICA Watershed is an East Boston thing vs. something on the industrial end of Seaport.

Thread title of "South Boston Seaport" + ICA reference + being at work = mistakes were made.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #2990
Beton Brut

^ Understood -- it's all good. I think the photo got posted to display the (shitty) new ICA logo, not to insight out discussion.

~ Justin7
Old 06-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #2991
odurandina

Quote:
The 1970's, 80's had IT'S great neighborhood renewal + the Harbor Towers gold rush. Now we have the East Boston + Seaport gold rush.

Quote:
Churned out faux iconic gold rush!

North to Alaska baby! Climb on board NOW!!
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #2992
Beton Brut

^ I think you might need a CAT Scan.

~ Justin7
Old 07-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #2993
BeeLine

Fountain flowing.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #2994
jl326

^^ I was almost convinced it no longer worked!

Tags
general, seaport, south boston