archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #2741
stick n move
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorchester
Posts: 4,308
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

^ not working.
stick n move is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #2742
iamdjmichael
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 76
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I walked by this yesterday and it's even more impressive in person and I was driving back in from 93N today and even my mom was counting cranes and commenting on how there are SO many new buildings going up.
iamdjmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #2743
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,622
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

does anyone known where the pnf is for the hotel midrise ?

specs?
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #2744
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,610
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Does the green steel-work for the atrium portion of the podium [webcam] remind anybody else of the old central artery and elevated green line through here? That's all I can think about when I see it...

I don't know if this is an intentional nod to the history of that street, but kudos to the designers if it is.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #2745
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,960
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Does the green steel-work for the atrium portion of the podium [webcam] remind anybody else of the old central artery and elevated green line through here? That's all I can think about when I see it...

I don't know if this is an intentional nod to the history of that street, but kudos to the designers if it is.
IIRC, they will paint that steelwork black...
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:45 PM   #2746
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,786
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End















BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #2747
Charlie_mta
Senior Member
 
Charlie_mta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,165
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post
[url=https://flic.kr/p/27kkAxC]

Wow, the vertical elements in the above photo (the right half) are reminiscent of the old North Station. Was that intentional?


Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #2748
FK4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,831
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

If you look at the renders, it’s obvious they’re referencing it and it looks good, I think
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #2749
atlantaden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,773
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Wow! That's a lot of weight that those four beams are holding up in the residential section and it's gonna get heavier!
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #2750
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,481
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaden View Post
Wow! That's a lot of weight that those four beams are holding up in the residential section and it's gonna get heavier!
I was thinking this exact same thing when I was looking at it. It just doesn't seem sturdy enough, even without the 20 additional floors.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #2751
SeamusMcFly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brockton
Posts: 1,923
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I was thinking this exact same thing when I was looking at it. It just doesn't seem sturdy enough, even without the 20 additional floors.
tHE MIDDLE TWO HAVE LARGE CONCRETE BEAMS SITTING ON THEM. i'M GUESSING THESE TIE A LOT OF THE LOAD BACK TO THE CORE.

Semi-cantilever?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
You can have fun anywhere---Fun shouldn't cost the taxpayers a dime.
SeamusMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #2752
Brad Plaid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 802
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_mta View Post
Wow, the vertical elements in the above photo (the right half) are reminiscent of the old North Station. Was that intentional?


The late, great Spuds MacKenzie!
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #2753
datadyne007
Senior Member
 
datadyne007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Everett, MA
Posts: 8,429
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMcFly View Post
tHE MIDDLE TWO HAVE LARGE CONCRETE BEAMS SITTING ON THEM. i'M GUESSING THESE TIE A LOT OF THE LOAD BACK TO THE CORE.

Semi-cantilever?
Edit: Ok, I just spoke to a structural engineer:
  1. He doesn't believe the columns at the base look thin for a 40 story building above. You'd be surprised what forces steel can take at relatively minor dimensions.
  2. Those concrete beams are just to stiffen the flat plate slab. It would be a long unsupported span for the flat plate, plus they enable the cantilevered edge. He does not believe they are transferring any loads.
  3. He was noticeably surprised to see concrete on top of steel.

Also, wouldn't it be nice if computers knew to turn off caps lock when you switch out of Revit or CAD?
__________________
Commuter Rail. Reimagined. Read the report: regionalrail.net
Electrification + High Platforms + Infrastructure + Frequent Service + Free Transfers = #REGIONALRAIL

Last edited by datadyne007; 06-22-2018 at 12:18 PM.
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #2754
North Shore
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 57
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Was at the Garden last night for U2 and the east side escalators have been completely walled off, presumably for the new connection from Champions Row into the building.
North Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #2755
atlantaden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,773
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post

Edit: Ok, I just spoke to a structural engineer:

1. He doesn't believe the columns at the base look thin for a 40 story building above. You'd be surprised what forces steel can take at relatively minor dimensions.

2. Those concrete beams are just to stiffen the flat plate slab. It would be a long unsupported span for the flat plate, plus they enable the cantilevered edge. He does not believe they are transferring any loads.

3. He was noticeably surprised to see concrete on top of steel.
Thanks, data. Have to say that #3 doesn't reassure me in the least! Frankly I still get a bit queezy, looking at those four steel support beams.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #2756
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,960
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaden View Post
Thanks, data. Have to say that #3 doesn't reassure me in the least! Frankly I still get a bit queezy, looking at those four steel support beams.
Gensler isn't a fly-by-night outfit. I'm sure it's fine
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:48 PM   #2757
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,095
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Gensler isn't a fly-by-night outfit. I'm sure it's fine
The people who built the millennium tower in SF weren't fly-by-night outfits.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #2758
Beton Brut
Senior Member
 
Beton Brut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Orient Heights
Posts: 3,793
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
The people who built the millennium tower in SF weren't fly-by-night outfits.
No, but it does inspire some questions about the subcontractor who did the geotechnical analysis, and the engineers who computed the final weight of the building.

San Francisco is full of landmarks, so why not a landmark construction defect lawsuit...?
__________________
This discussion has gone on far too long. Someone might wander by and get the impression that this is an architecture forum.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #2759
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,786
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End







BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #2760
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,481
Re: The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

IMG_4578 by David Z, on Flickr
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
north station, td garden

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Longfellow Place (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End PaulC Development Projects 738 08-12-2018 02:12 PM
Lovejoy Wharf | 131 Beverly Street | West End goldenretrievers Development Projects 350 04-24-2018 02:24 PM
The Victor | 110 Beverly Street | West End JohnAKeith Development Projects 383 09-04-2014 12:14 PM
123 Causeway street DowntownDave Boston Architecture & Urbanism 18 09-26-2009 06:24 AM
The State of Causeway St/N. Station Ron Newman Boston Architecture & Urbanism 15 10-21-2008 09:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.