archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM   #1521
fattony

Re: Regional Rail (including North-South Rail Link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMcFly View Post
If you want to increase ridership, but only put your stations in places people are going to drive to get to, you're now advocating for big ol parking structures or lots everywhere. When TOD should be the goal, especially when it is beefing up an already populated area.
Big ol parking structures are fine if they are well accessible by major roads. Both TOD and park-n-ride are viable commuter rail station types for serving different areas. It is the hybrid/good-at-neither types that are the real losers.

My preference is for more TOD, but I'll settle for a few well located park-n-rides where appropriate.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #1522
jklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Right, and improving frequency is a low cost way to build ridership.

Dumping a few billion into a tunnel is not.
Problem is, South Station is going to be basically full once SCR comes online. Maybe you could fit in some quick-turn-around Indigo; but that's about it.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #1523
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
Problem is, South Station is going to be basically full once SCR comes online. Maybe you could fit in some quick-turn-around Indigo; but that's about it.
SCR is a mistake
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #1524
Arlington

Greenbush line was also a mistake (should have been killed when nimbys demanded a tunnel)
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #1525
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
Has Seth said one single solitary word about NSRL...or anything public transit related...in the last 18 months??? Ever since he got into PAC election fundraising and started fancying quixotic leadership challenges in the House he's gone stone-silent on nearly every single one of his district's transpo advocacies.

I think he's much much closer today to "part of the problem" than he ever was a useful ally. But he'll be getting a primary challenger in '18 so we'll see if he conveniently remembers that he once advocated for this stuff.
He's been quite annoyingly silent for the last two years... I initially thought he was a big political ally for this whole thing, but turns out he's just another politician trying to climb the ladder as fast as he can. He could have stuck around the state, fighting staunchly for local issues, but nope. I'm over him.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #1526
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Greenbush line was also a mistake (should have been killed when nimbys demanded a tunnel)
Yup. Master class in waste to please a couple of rail fans.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #1527
Java King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Yup. Master class in waste to please a couple of rail fans.
You're right, but one of the reasons we looked at Scituate back in 2006 was the Greenbush line. I don't think we would have chosen the area if it didn't have rail service to Boston. (So, I guess I'm one of your two rail fans mentioned. ) Reading the report, the ridership numbers are up significantly, which is good.

The problem with Greenbush is HUGE parking lots in areas of towns that are not walkable villages, plus the less than stellar schedule and frequency. Why they don't have a station in downtown Hingham and downtown Cohasset boggles the mind when the train goes right through those villages and there used to be a stop.

At the end of the line in Greenbush, there are big plans to undo some of the damage and build a walkable mixed-use transit village on one of the HUGE parking lots that almost never is used. Since the train in 2007, there have been some minor successes with mixed use development around the Greenbush station. It takes a LONG time, but I'm confident the Greenbush area can be a really nice walkable destination someday with the Greenbush train station at the center of a village.
Java King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #1528
Java King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Also for what it's worth, there are several transit oriented, mixed-use developments in Weymouth, Cohasset, and Scituate that I've been meaning to document someday with a photo essay. Hopefully, this summer! Density along the line has been increasing as much as the towns will allow. Scituate just voted yes at Town Meeting on a major zoning effort to organize the outdated zoning around Greenbush. It established several sub-districts and transit oriented, walkable villages with excellent design standards and fairly good density. The problem with Scituate right now is infrastructure. Our water and sewer can't handle much more without major upgrades and that costs money.
Java King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #1529
DominusNovus

The nice thing about parking lots is that they’re about the easiest thing to tear up and build over. Yes, someone will fight it, but far less than if you dare to impede the sunlight on the house that the cousin of Sam Adams’ barber gree up in.
Old Today, 09:25 AM   #1530
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java King View Post
You're right, but one of the reasons we looked at Scituate back in 2006 was the Greenbush line. I don't think we would have chosen the area if it didn't have rail service to Boston. (So, I guess I'm one of your two rail fans mentioned. ) Reading the report, the ridership numbers are up significantly, which is good.

The problem with Greenbush is HUGE parking lots in areas of towns that are not walkable villages, plus the less than stellar schedule and frequency. Why they don't have a station in downtown Hingham and downtown Cohasset boggles the mind when the train goes right through those villages and there used to be a stop.

At the end of the line in Greenbush, there are big plans to undo some of the damage and build a walkable mixed-use transit village on one of the HUGE parking lots that almost never is used. Since the train in 2007, there have been some minor successes with mixed use development around the Greenbush station. It takes a LONG time, but I'm confident the Greenbush area can be a really nice walkable destination someday with the Greenbush train station at the center of a village.
Agree completely with all of this and thanks for the perspective. This is the kind of effort the region needs to ease the run up of housing prices. Its the same argument in favor of SCR which is you need to give people options to commute into the city from a cheaper place. The city needs an ever growing accessible workforce, and the residents need an option to live in a lower cost area. Win/Win as far as I'm concerned.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #1531
HelloBostonHi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
Thats what South Station Expansion (SSX) is for... https://www.mass.gov/south-station-expansion Unfortunately its tied up in legal and regulatory hell with removing and relocating the post office building and with South Station Tower and Tower 1 coordination...
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote