archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #3161
chmeeee

Re: Biking in Boston

There's one in Kendall as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/zJNjdAhSktL2
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #3162
34f34f

And the data are public: http://eco-public.com/public2/?id=100023038
34f34f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #3163
34f34f

A lot of updates in Cambridge:

Thanks to participatory budgeting funds, separated bike lanes have been added to a couple blocks of Mass Ave between Trowbridge and Quincy streets (entering Harvard Square).

Also thanks to PB, a 2-way cycle track was installed on Brattle Street. This provides much-needed protected east-west connectivity into the square. The Harvard Square Business Association hates the cycle track because it's harder to double park on the lightly used street. They got the mayor to propose an order slowing new bike facility construction, but due to vague language and opposition from hundreds of bike lane supporters, the resolution got watered down to "let's communicate better."

Just last week, the city installed parking-separated bike lanes going both ways on Cambridge Street, between Quincy Street (Harvard Sq) and Antrim St (Inman Sq).

At the kick-off event, city councillor Marc McGovern said:
Quote:
In the last 4 yrs Cambridge has allocated $4m to bike infrastructure and over next several years were allocating $30m
Up next: North Mass Ave, which will mainly be getting standard bike lanes (but that's still a huge improvement for the many people who bike in from Arlington etc.). Some reddit comments from the public meeting yesterday.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #3164
sm89

Also, Broadway between Hampshire and Galilei got MULTI LANE buffered bike lanes. I don't think I've seen separate queuing spaces for different bike directions anywhere else in the region. This is probably the busiest section for biking in the entire city.

https://twitter.com/johnhawkinson/st...57017677557764
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #3165
34f34f

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
Also, Broadway between Hampshire and Galilei got MULTI LANE buffered bike lanes. I don't think I've seen separate queuing spaces for different bike directions anywhere else in the region. This is probably the busiest section for biking in the entire city.

https://twitter.com/johnhawkinson/st...57017677557764
As of this morning, the eastbound bike lane is now flexpost-separated for the entire block--it had been repainted with a buffer after recent street work but was missing physical separation.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #3166
stevebikes

I run along Commercial St all the time to check out the progress of the CHB cycle track, but I haven't had the occasion to actually bike in it until yesterday. I had an appointment on Hanover St that I was biking to, so instead of going up Cross St as I usually do, I decided to take the right and stay on Atlantic and come up Hanover on the far side. I knew they were still working on this part (and in fact the road in front of the park was in the middle of repaving so it wasn't exactly a smooth ride), but I figured I could at least try out the two blocks of cycle track that are finished south of Hanover St.

Of course, as soon as I could pull onto the cycle track, this happened:

Just casually parked with no one inside.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #3167
ant8904

I thought the one good thing about sidewalk side cycle tracks is cars can't park on them...
ant8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #3168
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant8904 View Post
I thought the one good thing about sidewalk side cycle tracks is cars can't park on them...
I'd like to view delivery/mail trucks as the same kind of natural allies to bikes that buses are:
1) they combine a whole lot of people's trip demand into one surprisingly small vehicle...probably more efficiently than any other mode (rail, bus, bike, or ped)
2) They are a natural alternative to a whole lot of shopping trips for which, today, SOV cars are the dominant street-clogger

When I'm military governor of this district, we will have "active loading unloading only" spots every 200' on every urbanized zone.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:50 AM   #3169
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
I'd like to view delivery/mail trucks as the same kind of natural allies to bikes that buses are:
1) they combine a whole lot of people's trip demand into one surprisingly small vehicle...probably more efficiently than any other mode (rail, bus, bike, or ped)
2) They are a natural alternative to a whole lot of shopping trips for which, today, SOV cars are the dominant street-clogger

When I'm military governor of this district, we will have "active loading unloading only" spots every 200' on every urbanized zone.
I agree with everything you said there.

The delivery truck still should not be parking in a cycle track.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #3170
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
The delivery truck still should not be parking in a cycle track.
Agreed.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #3171
FK4

So it's been several months since northeastern opened the refurbished bike path by Ruggles and they are new science building, but there still are absolutely zero markings to show that the asphalt part is the bike path, and not for pedestrians… So of course, it's completely littered with northeastern students now.

Does anyone know what the most effective and you would be to demand that they put some lane markings to keep people off the bike path? I just don't understand how Boston when it comes to anything related to transportation is so disorganized and averse to any sort of rule codification about anything.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #3172
elemenoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
Does anyone know what the most effective and you would be to demand that they put some lane markings to keep people off the bike path? I just don't understand how Boston when it comes to anything related to transportation is so disorganized and averse to any sort of rule codification about anything.
I believe the SW Corridor is actually DCR-managed, so good luck getting anything done.

The most effective approach would probably be a DIY sidewalk art project and some phone calls to the media.
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #3173
cden4

Is it actually bike only or is it multi-use? I'm just not that familiar with it. In other parts, there are signs with arrows directing where pedestrians and bikes should go.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #3174
sm89

It was in the plans to stripe the yellow center line when the Carter playground is completed. In the meantime they keep putting up a barrier to close the path because of reckless truck drivers coming into and out of the construction site. Not only does it look like a sidewalk, cyclists have a hard time using it at all without dodging physical barriers.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #3175
FK4

Quote:
It was in the plans to stripe the yellow center line when the Carter playground is completed. In the meantime they keep putting up a barrier to close the path because of reckless truck drivers coming into and out of the construction site. Not only does it look like a sidewalk, cyclists have a hard time using it at all without dodging physical barriers.
I havent experienced it being closed off, but Ive seen some barriers off to the sides of the path. My only issue with it is that it's completely clogged with people. It's total BS that they havent striped it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
Is it actually bike only or is it multi-use? I'm just not that familiar with it. In other parts, there are signs with arrows directing where pedestrians and bikes should go.
Ugh, I hate "multiuse path". That just means "mill about and walk 4 abreast without regard to anyone but yourself".

Anyway, the only part that's shared is the segment that's inbound from Mass Ave. The rest is entirely demarcated between bikes and peds the whole way to Forest Hills. And they ought to paint the bike part periodically saying Bikes Only. I'm not usually a bike Nazi but it's just one more annoying thing about Boston transportation that we can't just keep pedestrians from clogging up bike lanes. Especially right around a college campus.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #3176
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
I always ride on Columbus for that stretch, rather than the SWC path, but my recollection from many years ago (before the Columbus lanes were painted) was that there was a sign indicating the asphalt was for bikes, the concrete sidewalk for pedestrians. One of the reasons I switched to the street was because so many students paid no heed to the signs.

Fortunately, Columbus Ave. represents a viable alternative. The worst spot by far on the entire corridor, though, is right in front of Ruggles Station, where you have to make that transition from the street to the path. Students, double parked cars, T passengers, it's a complete nightmare negotiating roughly 50 feet or so, then things are better again. I'm not sure what can be done, but it's really dangerous in that one spot.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #3177
FK4

^ I always take Columbus too but you are right about the asphalt vs cement.

Given the existence of a very good bicycle path to Ruggles, the stretch of Columbus inbound from there is a major bike route. However, for the volume of bike traffic on the Columbus portion, it is actually extremely unsafe and I always am leery of getting doored. Out of almost any route in the entire city, it is one that definitely should have protection from parked cars. This could easily be done if they illuminated the cobblestoned median on the south end part, and removed one of the three lanes on the Stuart Street segment between Arlington and Charles.

It also has been annoying the hell out of me how every single morning there is a car parked in the mini stretch of protected bike lane just inbound on Columbus from Mass Ave. go to Google Street view and there's even a box truck parked in the spot I'm talking about! as usual zero enforcement by the police.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #3178
HenryAlan

I don't actually use the bike lane, instead riding in the "car lane", but I only ride as far as Mass Ave. On the other side, it's harder to not use the bike lane in my opinion, so your suggestion would definitely be nice to implement.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #3179
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
^ I always take Columbus too but you are right about the asphalt vs cement.

Given the existence of a very good bicycle path to Ruggles, the stretch of Columbus inbound from there is a major bike route. However, for the volume of bike traffic on the Columbus portion, it is actually extremely unsafe and I always am leery of getting doored. Out of almost any route in the entire city, it is one that definitely should have protection from parked cars. This could easily be done if they illuminated the cobblestoned median on the south end part, and removed one of the three lanes on the Stuart Street segment between Arlington and Charles.
I was doored in front of 612 Columbus last year. My wrist still hasn't fully recovered.

The City is trying to remove the cobblestone stripe to improve the bike lanes by reclaiming unused space, but a handful of people like to park in the middle of the street for church on Sundays, so the plan is not really going anywhere.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #3180
JumboBuc

Quote:
The City is trying to remove the cobblestone stripe to improve the bike lanes by reclaiming unused space, but a handful of people like to park in the middle of the street for church on Sundays, so the plan is not really going anywhere.
Ah, the classic church vs. bike lane battle.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote