archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #361
Lrfox

Re: The New Bedford Thread

How well do these smaller operations do operating on primarily tourist routes from smaller airports? It's a business model I've never understood as so many of them go belly up in a short amount of time. I'm glad to see that Elite is doing well in Portland, but I think the market is different with PVD and Logan offering competitive fares nearby.

Portsmouth, NH has done well with Allegiant Air serving FLL, St. Pete, Punta Gorda, and as of last week, St. Petersburg. But PSM is well positioned to capture the the northern Boston suburbs, Southern Maine, and the Seacoast of NH. NB isn't positioned nearly as well. I'm hopeful, but not confident it could sustain primarily leisure travelers to Florida, even on a CRJ.

To KMP's point, New Bedford has been actively pursuing a New York connection for as long as I can remember. I think New Bedford's best bet is a regional shuttle to New York, Philadelphia or even DC. American Eagle to DCA or PHL, United Express to EWR, or Delta Connection to LGA. There should be enough demand for seats to fill a small regional jet.

I think New Bedford's problem will continue to be a price vs. convenience issue. It's not that there isn't demand there, but flights on regionals are often far more expensive than direct hops from airports like Boston or Providence. If the fare from NB to New York (or beyond) isn't competitive with the fare from Boston/Providence, it won't work. And my guess is that it will be hard for the fares to be competitive when Providence and Boston can utilize larger aircraft (which are frequently close to full) on the same routes. Furthermore, for passengers continuing on beyond LGA, PHL, or DCA, Boston (and to some degree, Providence) will offer more direct flights. Most people will drive an hour or an hour and a half if it means less on airfare and a direct flight.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #362
gregrc75

Update on Elite Airways and EWB. Slightly changed plans and looks like they will start with EWB-EWR service since they will begin in the middle or tail end of the winter season to Florida. But that may mean service to both EWR and Florida next winter if EWB-EWR does well.
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #363
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
Update on Elite Airways and EWB. Slightly changed plans and looks like they will start with EWB-EWR service since they will begin in the middle or tail end of the winter season to Florida. But that may mean service to both EWR and Florida next winter if EWB-EWR does well.
Do you have a link or source? Any idea when they're looking to start service (This winter or next)?

It would be great if they could partner with United and offer connecting flights on the same itinerary, but I doubt that would happen.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #364
gregrc75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Do you have a link or source? Any idea when they're looking to start service (This winter or next)?

It would be great if they could partner with United and offer connecting flights on the same itinerary, but I doubt that would happen.
Press release should be soon!
Old 01-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #365
budman3

Not development news, but a boon for the city nonetheless? (however meaningless the ranking may be)

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...4yM/story.html
budman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #366
Lrfox

Ground was broken on the hotel at 216-224 Union Street last week. I'm excited for this- a boutique hotel in the center of downtown. That makes 2, both open within the past decade. It's a small property (68 rooms), but it's definitely a good thing. It'll also bring a new restaurant to downtown.

Streetview of the building: https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...926757!6m1!1e1

Quote:

Mayor Jon Mitchell speaks Friday at the groundbreaking of a boutique
NEW BEDFORD — A couple of people — one walking on the sidewalk, the other driving in a car — questioned the reason behind the mayor’s podium standing in front of a vacant building at the corner of Union and Pleasant streets on Friday.

Neither knew about the new hotel coming to the city in summer 2018, but Mayor Jon Mitchell hoped to change that with the groundbreaking outside 218-226 Union St.
full story: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/news/...-bedford-hotel
Old 05-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #367
Portlander

Great re-use of classic downtown building. Reminds me of the Press Hotel project in the former Gannett newspaper headquarters in Portland. Good news for New Bedford!
Portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #368
gregrc75

New Bedford Regional Airport received Part 139 certification last week.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/news/...es-will-follow
Old 07-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #369
Portlander

Positive start for New Bedford! Only concern is the close proximity to T.F. Green (41 miles) which is the same issues New London/Groton (45 miles) has been dealing with for decades. New Bedford's advantage for long term success is a much larger population base to draw from. Maybe Elite Airways would be a good fit with it's 50 and 70 seat RJ's?
Portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #370
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Ground was broken on the hotel at 216-224 Union Street last week. I'm excited for this- a boutique hotel in the center of downtown. That makes 2, both open within the past decade. It's a small property (68 rooms), but it's definitely a good thing. It'll also bring a new restaurant to downtown.

Streetview of the building: https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...926757!6m1!1e1

full story: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/news/...-bedford-hotel
A little more on this. We now have a name ("New Bedford Harbor Hotel") and a brand ("Ascend"- Choice Hotels):

Quote:
https://unique.finance/waterford-hot...ast-portfolio/

Also under development is the New Bedford Harbor Hotel located on Union Street in New Bedford, MA. Waterford has been selected to manage this 68-room, upscale, boutique hotel that will be franchised as an Ascend Collection. The Boston-based Columbus Group is converting the 46,600-square-foot building into a hotel, restaurant, and banquet space. The hotel is slated for a spring 2018 opening.
This is the single most exciting development in this city in a long time.