archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
whighlander

Under Construction Cambridge Discovery Park

The long static Cambridge Discovery Park is set to begin moving forward

Bulfinch Co's will develop a Marriott AC Hotel fronting on RT-2 just at the exit to the Alewife T

story in BBJ
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/re...rriott-at.html

Quote:
Bulfinch Cos. planning $20M AC by Marriott at Cambridge Discovery Park
Mar 23, 2015, 1:51pm EDT UPDATED: Mar 23, 2015, 2:19pm EDT

The Bulfinchs Cos. is planning to start construction in April on a 150-room, $20 million AC Hotel by Marriott at its 27-acre Cambridge Discovery Park off Route 2 near the Alewife MBTA station.

Catherine Carlock
Real Estate Editor-
Boston Business Journal

Real estate development and management firm The Bulfinch Cos. is planning to start construction in April on a 150-room AC Hotel by Marriott at its 27-acre CambridgeDiscovery Park.
Bulfinch in February received approval for an additional 400,000 square feet of mixed-use development at the West Cambridge park, part of which will host the AC Hotel by Marriott. The hotel will be located on a parcel fronting Route 2, according to an updated Bulfinch Cos. site plan.

overall plan

hotel

AChotel rt2 rendering View Photos
Courtesy of The Bulfinch Cos.
Lo and Behold its April and I saw a fence with machinery and already a pile of dirt in the midst

Last edited by whighlander; 04-19-2015 at 09:26 PM.
whighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 AM   #2
vanshnookenraggen

Re: Cambridge Discovery Park

Ok.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Shepard

That view really shows what a disaster of urban planning Alewife has been.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Lisbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
That view really shows what a disaster of urban planning Alewife has been.
Absolutely.

I'm curious whether it's always been planned to be semi-urban, or if things have just happened that way. Had the Red Line been extended to Lexington that would have alleviated some of the traffic around Alewife, possibly giving planners more flexibility in dealing with roadways and traffic in the area. Alewife is really convenient for getting into the city from the Concord area. There were also plans back in the day to build a ramp into Alewife from Route 2 itself, which I imagine would be helped traffic in the area (but been an eyesore for sure). I wish the city would do more to improve congestion around Alewife, as many of the people using Alewife would take the Pike as an alternative over using the commuter rail if traffic keeps getting worse.
Lisbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #5
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
Absolutely.

I'm curious whether it's always been planned to be semi-urban, or if things have just happened that way. Had the Red Line been extended to Lexington that would have alleviated some of the traffic around Alewife, possibly giving planners more flexibility in dealing with roadways and traffic in the area. Alewife is really convenient for getting into the city from the Concord area. There were also plans back in the day to build a ramp into Alewife from Route 2 itself, which I imagine would be helped traffic in the area (but been an eyesore for sure). I wish the city would do more to improve congestion around Alewife, as many of the people using Alewife would take the Pike as an alternative over using the commuter rail if traffic keeps getting worse.
Lisbon -- Alewife has one huge advantage -- Location at the nexus of Red Line & Rt 2 in Cambridge

Unfortunately 3 problems are limiting the realization of the huge potential:[list][*] Rt-2 access[*] Rail Road tracks[*] brooks, ponds and swampiness[list]

25 years ago the solution would have been simple -- today you can't do to much with the water, the highway is for the most part set with small opportunity to alter things and there are limited crossings over the tracks [Note because of the water issues crossing under the the tracks is essentially not going to happen]

The best approach is to rationalize the 3 exits from Rt-2 and create a network of local streets using Cambridge Park Dr and Acorn Park Dr. as the parallel relievers to Rt-2 and at least one additional crossing of the tracks to connect to Concord Ave via Faucett St.
whighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
BeeLine

AC Hotel

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
BeeLine

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
jass

It blows my mind that this type of parking paving is so rare in the US
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
fattony

I think I'm gonna be sick. Please tell me this is actually in some other Cambridge far, far away.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
cca

It can be very very far away if you never go there.

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #11
kz1000ps

^ I somehow managed to almost never go to Alewife in the 10 years I lived in Boston. But now I find myself going through there probably once a month, and for the life of me I can't wrap my head around the layout of the place, nor will I actually spend the two seconds it would take looking at it on Google Maps to figure it out. I just know how to get through there, and apparently that's all it's good for.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
cca

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
^ I somehow managed to almost never go to Alewife in the 10 years I lived in Boston. But now I find myself going through there probably once a month, and for the life of me I can't wrap my head around the layout of the place, nor will I actually spend the two seconds it would take looking at it on Google Maps to figure it out. I just know how to get through there, and apparently that's all it's good for.
Its a mess. Pieced together planning wise. A big disappointment. Its like they tried to use all their planning mojo on northpoint and just shrugged their shoulders over here and said "whelp, I guess it is what it is."

cca
cca is offline   Reply With Quote