archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #301
datadyne007

Re: Tremont Crossing | Roxbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
How many movie theatres does this city need? Seems like with the recent additions we dont need any others
This is in the heart of a college area. It will serve NEU, WIT, MassArt, and everyone else living on the Hill.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #302
chrisbrat

exactly.

also -- how do you figure that boston has "too many" movie theaters? right now there's:

* AMC Boston Common
* Regal Cinemas Fenway
* ShowPlace ICON
* AMC South Bay

Both the Aquarium IMAX and the Mugar Omni are different animals, altogether, so you currently have a city of 700,000(ish) people served by a whopping total of 4 movie complexes.

If you want to toss in theaters not actually in, but near, Boston then, fine: Assembly, Kendall, and Somerville Theater (and sure, Brattle, too, if you like) -- making the total a staggering 8 theaters for an area of well over 1,000,000 (if you're gonna count Somerville and Cambridge's movie houses, you have to add in their populations, too) people.
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #303
dirtywater

Donít forget the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline. In addition, ArcLight is opening at the Hub on Causeway with 15 screens.
dirtywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #304
chrisbrat

sure, but (again) if you're going to add in Brookline's cinemas then we also add the population. So -- 9 movie complexes for over a million people. Doesn't seem at all excessive or oversaturated to me.

I didn't include the future Hub on Causway complex b/c I was just listing currently-open movie houses in Boston.
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #305
odurandina

This was going to be a grand slam home run--Roxbury's development equivalent of Rice's 6-18-75/500' blast over the CF Flag Pole at Fenway. A new standard for neighborhood supertalls just 37' shy of the 420' standard Vancouver fare....

Then, for no apparent reason, it was reduced to a craptastic, ground rule double.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #306
FK4

Donít forget Apple Cinemas by Fresh Pond.

Edit...
Also, Iíd include Legacy Place Dedham, Arlington Cinemas, Showcase Superlux Chestnut Hill, Revere Cinemas, Davis Sq, and possibly W Newton Theater (tho itís a longer haul than the others) if you want to include all the theaters that are reasonably close (driving wise) to the urban core zones.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 PM   #307
Suffolk 83

Just saying, south bay is a ghost town, so is ICON, regal is just moderately busy.
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #308
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
Looks like it's finally going to happen: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...fMN/story.html

They've secured all the necessary permissions and just have to sign the ground lease.

That sounds too optimistic
One of the developers at the Roxbury Strategic Master Plan meeting said shovels in the ground late april early may.
DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #309
curcuas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
How many movie theatres does this city need? Seems like with the recent additions we dont need any others
Movie attendance is notably higher among nonwhites. This is exactly what you'd expect from a functioning market.
curcuas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #310
stick n move

Heres a birds eye view of the project and how its going to fit in with the new Whittier Choice housing development next door. Theyre bulldozing the whittier st apartments next to this development and replacing them with these much nicer buildings for the residents to live in. Overall with both of these complete this is going to be a huge change for the area and a major upgrade. You can see the new cross street that has the tremont garage continues on to whittier choice making both projects part of a connected street grid which both share this cross street and the existing whittier st. Overall huge improvement of the area and hopefully a catalyst for more.

http://whittierchoice.org/properties/

Last edited by stick n move; 06-01-2019 at 10:34 AM.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #311
JohnAKeith

This was supposed to break ground (the 92nd time promised) "in May" according to the developer. Did it? Are they even moving dirt around?
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #312
HelloBostonHi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAKeith View Post
This was supposed to break ground (the 92nd time promised) "in May" according to the developer. Did it? Are they even moving dirt around?
Can confirm they are not even moving dirt. From a week ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
If everything is approved and financing is secured what's too optimistic about that?
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #313
goody

^The schools along Malcolm X are epically bad design. I wonder what the time horizon is before the city rebuilds on a smaller footprint to allow for more development and hopefully a better school too.
goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #314
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post
^The schools along Malcolm X are epically bad design. I wonder what the time horizon is before the city rebuilds on a smaller footprint to allow for more development and hopefully a better school too.
I'd have to disagree. The O'Bryant school is one of the best examples of Brutalism in the city.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3306...7i16384!8i8192

But yeah. I walk by this every week and still nothing.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #315
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
I'd have to disagree. The O'Bryant school is one of the best examples of Brutalism in the city.

Itíll never happen, but what they desperately need to do is restore a street grid of some sorts thru the giant campus high complex.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #316
stick n move

Anyone know whats up with the timeline? This is going to be incredible and huge for Roxbury. Another great looking, dense, mixed use, transit oriented development with this and also the residential buildings that are replacing the public housing next door. Im really excited for this. More and more stations are becoming surrounded by nodes of development. These are a look into the future where people will have more places to work within their neighborhood vs everybody commuting downtown, back bay, Cambridge. Not only does this add over 700 residential units, but also office/museum/retail space in the area for people to work at.

Were seeing these transit oriented cores popping up all over the city in different neighborhoods spreading the availability of places to work to Northpoint, Kenmore, Fenway ctr, Fenway Boylston, Bulfinch, Suffolk downs, Harbor point, Dot ave Andrew, Dot ave Broadway, flower exchange, Allston yards, Boston Landing, Assembly square, Union square, South bay, Dot ave JFK... a LOT. This is a major shift but a natural progression towards more sustainable living where people live near where they work so they can walk, bike...etc. Its great that Boston is doing this now vs trying to catch up later imo.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #317
sm89

I too, am excited about this project, but it's hardly transit oriented. Maybe "transit situated"? It includes a 1,400 space garage next to the T and is anchored by BJ's, a store that's "thing" is buying 4 packs of ketchup, 40 count toilet paper, and restaurant-size tubs of salsa. The residents might take the T to work, but the retail is extremely vehicular oriented.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #318
goody

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post

Sure the front facing facade is a good example of Brutalism but saving something because its a good example of style isnt sufficient in most cases, it has to work in context and I dont think this does. A restored street grid and improved engagement with the street are more valuable IMO. The near of the building and its interaction with the green space/sports area is also wanting at best (it feels like a prison). Not to mention the Madison Park School and the RCC Athletic center are straight up awful.
goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #319
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody View Post
Sure the front facing facade is a good example of Brutalism but saving something because its a good example of style isnt sufficient in most cases, it has to work in context and I dont think this does. A restored street grid and improved engagement with the street are more valuable IMO. The near of the building and its interaction with the green space/sports area is also wanting at best (it feels like a prison). Not to mention the Madison Park School and the RCC Athletic center are straight up awful.
Preserve the Marcel Breuer structure and demolish everything else (including the school, post office; keep the track center) and when rebuilding it all, put in some streets that connect all the way to Ruggles St.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #320
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
Preserve the Marcel Breuer structure and demolish everything else (including the school, post office; keep the track center) and when rebuilding it all, put in some streets that connect all the way to Ruggles St.
Agreed. I don't think street engagement will sway anyone to demolish a school, but yeah I think the O'bryant addition should stay because it engages the the street wonderfully (as well as any school could, its not like its meant to activate the street). and from the back the Obryant addition still looks really great. The only issue is Madison Park High and I would love to see that redone, and connect Malcom X to Whittier, but I just don't see that as likely if we cant even get p3 shovels. Whittier choice is already opening up new streets, and I think that will be huge, especially once P3 is done.

Tags
african american art, ncaaa, p3 partners, roxbury