archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #661
elemenoh

Re: Commonwealth Avenue Improvement Project

I'm a huge fan of Toole Design Group. Boston picked the right design consultants for this job!
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #662
datadyne007

MassDOT approved the $20.4 million redo of Comm Ave with dedicated bike lanes & bus islands between Packards Corner & the BU Bridge today.

http://www.universalhub.com/2016/ded...lion-redo-comm

See previous page for renders.

Eh, I'll throw em here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
Protected bike lane & bus boarding islands!! This looks like Europe!!

From Twitter:
https://twitter.com/tooledesign/stat...06848916344833

https://twitter.com/StreetsBoston/st...01312959320064
Old 06-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #663
millerm277

The Commonwealth Magazine article on the approval says: "...The project also includes transit signal prioritization where transit vehicles are given preference at stop lights."

http://commonwealthmagazine.org/tran...tion-approved/

That'd be a good start for the Green Line and great, but I've heard nothing about this before now and don't see anything about it in this thread. Anyone have some other confirmation of this including signal priority?

It also raises the question to me of what is the status of the 4->2 stop consolidation in the Babcock-BU West stretch?
millerm277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #664
Matthew

I believe that they are trying to coordinate the MBTA station rebuilds along with Phase 2A, as suggested.

The consolidation is definitely happening, it's linked to AAB-compliance, it's just a matter of when.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:48 AM   #665
ErnieAdams

Does anyone know where to access a fuller set of plans? Particularly curious to know whether they plan to add a legal pedestrian street crossing at Naples Rd. just inbound from Packard's Corner.
ErnieAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #666
Scipio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieAdams View Post
Does anyone know where to access a fuller set of plans? Particularly curious to know whether they plan to add a legal pedestrian street crossing at Naples Rd. just inbound from Packard's Corner.
I posted a set of revised plans in the bike thread a couple months ago: http://www.archboston.org/community/...postcount=2771

Unfortunately, Naples road is just west of where the plans start.

edit: These are only the major changes to the design, not the full set of plans.

Last edited by Scipio; 06-21-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:43 PM   #667
ErnieAdams

Thanks, Scipio. I followed the link you provided, and nothing was mentioned in the larger document about a potential crosswalk. Everyone should check out those plans on Scipio's post, though, if you haven't seen them yet.

So it looks like the western end of the project site (per MassDOT's project database) is at Alcorn Road. Here's the street view from that corner of Alcorn Road. Looks like a crossing would be just within the project site. Matthew has previously posted that the community has requested a crosswalk there. Fingers crossed.
ErnieAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:33 AM   #668
Matthew

This project will not include a crosswalk at Naples Road. I hope it will not preclude it. However, the general thought is that the long-term solution there is going to be addressed as part of Comm Ave Phases 3&4. Packard's Corner currently only has crosswalks on 3 legs of the rather massive misshapen intersection. The next phase of Comm Ave will have a reworked Packard's Corner with (signalized) crosswalks on all 4 legs, to make it much more pedestrian friendly. While not quite as short a route to the supermarket as a Naples Road crosswalk, it may be the best we can get making the T happy about people crossing the tracks.

(Again, I'll note that here in Europe, there really isn't this crazy fear of people crossing tram tracks... it's just a tram. No need for fences or barriers. Comm Ave itself, with the speeding Masshole drivers, is much worse.)
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #669
stevebikes

I can't find the thread for the first pic:

stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #670
jass

Thanks for the update
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:10 AM   #671
vanshnookenraggen

Now that's how you separate a bike lane!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #672
coleslaw

This street is wildly dangerous for biking so I'm glad to see this, these changes matter far more in terms of actually living in this city than how many tall buildings we have.
coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #673
HenryAlan

I'll reserve judgement until I ride on it, but these lanes look too narrow. Definitely the right concept, but I'm not sure it's wide enough to facilitate safe passing by faster bikes.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #674
CSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I'll reserve judgement until I ride on it, but these lanes look too narrow. Definitely the right concept, but I'm not sure it's wide enough to facilitate safe passing by faster bikes.
That might be a feature, not a bug, especially given the ped cross traffic to the bus stop
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #675
ceo

Yes, in bike facility design there's a tension between making something you can go fast on and something that's slower but facilitates broader use. As an experienced urban cyclist who likes to ride fast I generally favor the latter, actually, as things that get more people biking are good things. If it's too slow I can ride with traffic as always.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #676
whittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
That might be a feature, not a bug, especially given the ped cross traffic to the bus stop
Given that the path appears to be wider in the third image where there is no cross walk, I expect this is the case.
whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #677
cden4

In most places, the bike lanes will be wide enough for a faster bicyclist to pass a slower one, except for when the bike lanes dip behind bus stops. The design intentionally forces bikes to go single-file through there for the sake of pedestrian safety.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #678
jass

Cool but lets also narrow Comm Ave to 1 lane for cars whenever there is a crosswalk.

Safety first.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #679
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Cool but lets also narrow Comm Ave to 1 lane for cars whenever there is a crosswalk.

Safety first.
Good thing the crosswalks have crossing lights to control traffic and pedestrian flow already.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #680
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Good thing the crosswalks have crossing lights to control traffic and pedestrian flow already.
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/06/0...rash-man-dies/