archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > General

General Misc. topics.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #4561
Lrfox

Re: Open Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
Completely random but is anyone a member of Boston Sports Club. Pros? Cons? I hear there's a billion of hidden fees and cancellation is near impossible but would like to hear more recent experiences (i.e. I want someone to tell me it will be ok to join BSC and they won't pinch me of every cent I have).
I have the regional passport on a one year commitment (slightly less expensive than the month to month) and use it daily since there's a BSC near my office, and one in Davis. I was hesitant at first because it's pricey, but it's been worth it so far. I haven't tried to cancel. My girlfriend successfully canceled (her company now pays the membership) with relative ease, so I guess it's like anything else - pay attention to the fine print before committing to anything. Maybe start with a month to month?

I have heard people have trouble if the do something like sign up for the regional passport for a year, realize they only use one gym, and try to switch to a neighborhood plan and are told "no." I've also heard people having trouble getting out of their contract before it's up. Almost any scenario I've seen is relatively easily avoidable. Canceling month to month is easy (though you won't get the remained of the month back if you cancel before the end of the month), and the year contracts lock you in for a year.

*edit* Check with your employer. I know a lot of firms that actually offer BSC memberships as a perk (unfortunately, not the case for me). Insurers often times offer reimbursements on gym memberships too (My plan offers $300 per year). So there are ways to make it less of a pain.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #4562
KentXie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
I have the regional passport on a one year commitment (slightly less expensive than the month to month) and use it daily since there's a BSC near my office, and one in Davis. I was hesitant at first because it's pricey, but it's been worth it so far. I haven't tried to cancel. My girlfriend successfully canceled (her company now pays the membership) with relative ease, so I guess it's like anything else - pay attention to the fine print before committing to anything. Maybe start with a month to month?

I have heard people have trouble if the do something like sign up for the regional passport for a year, realize they only use one gym, and try to switch to a neighborhood plan and are told "no." I've also heard people having trouble getting out of their contract before it's up. Almost any scenario I've seen is relatively easily avoidable. Canceling month to month is easy (though you won't get the remained of the month back if you cancel before the end of the month), and the year contracts lock you in for a year.

*edit* Check with your employer. I know a lot of firms that actually offer BSC memberships as a perk (unfortunately, not the case for me). Insurers often times offer reimbursements on gym memberships too (My plan offers $300 per year). So there are ways to make it less of a pain.
Thanks for the input Lrfox! Have you ever been charged a maintenance fee and/or see your monthly fee increase without any notification?
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #4563
jass

I wasnt able to visit Portsmouth last weekend due to the weather

However, I did notice new development in Burlington MA, but cant find the right thread for it. Near the newish Wegmans, across from Burlington Mall. Anyone have better searching skills?
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:07 PM   #4564
tobyjug

Dinosaurs suck. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...il-exploration
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #4565
kz1000ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
I wasnt able to visit Portsmouth last weekend due to the weather

However, I did notice new development in Burlington MA, but cant find the right thread for it. Near the newish Wegmans, across from Burlington Mall. Anyone have better searching skills?
I believe you're talking about 3rdAve Burlington, a decent-sized new urbanist development that extends directly off the Turnpike, ya?

http://www.3rdaveburlington.com/

Otherwise I couldn't tell you... there's new buildings sprouting around there all the time.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:36 PM   #4566
CSTH

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...56933691_zpid/

Michael Graves house for sale - if you have $8.5M and you're into PoMo...
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:14 PM   #4567
TheRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...56933691_zpid/

Can't believe how much real estate is for sale in the Essex area.
Manchester, Ipswich, Georgetown.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #4568
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
I believe you're talking about 3rdAve Burlington, a decent-sized new urbanist development that extends directly off the Turnpike, ya?

http://www.3rdaveburlington.com/

Otherwise I couldn't tell you... there's new buildings sprouting around there all the time.
Next to that development yes
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #4569
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
Thanks for the input Lrfox! Have you ever been charged a maintenance fee and/or see your monthly fee increase without any notification?
Sorry for not replying sooner... I never look at this thread. To answer your question, no I haven't. The only time I have been charged extra is the handful of times I've skipped a class I signed up for without canceling. It's $5. But to be honest, I sometimes don't get charged for that either.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #4570
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
It's nicely presented, and pleasantly restrained for Graves. Would it be sacrilege to replace the replace the salmon-color accents with a charcoal? Or recladding it with shingles?

Meanwhile, you can have this for only $325K. The only downside is living in Polo, IL.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #4571
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
It's nicely presented, and pleasantly restrained for Graves. Would it be sacrilege to replace the replace the salmon-color accents with a charcoal? Or recladding it with shingles?

Meanwhile, you can have this for only $325K. The only downside is living in Polo, IL.
I hate Michael Graves' architecture (and also am surprised at the level of restraint this work has), but I'd say yes it actually would be sacrilege to replace the salmon color. It's an essential component to his unique PoMo aesthetic.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #4572
Beton Brut

From a preservation perspective, you're 100% right. It's difficult to impose our tastes or alternative looks on architecturally significant homes.

I recently read a piece in the NYT on a fairly radical remodel of an Oscar Neimeyer home. I expected to hate it, but it's actually stunning and thoughtful.

As Dr. Lecter tells us, "We covet what we see." The current HGTV trend has homeowners thinking about blowing walls out of Victorians to create open concept spaces, an approach that seems more like taxidermy than design. Maybe it's best to consider the architect's intentions before we pick up a sledgehammer or reciprocating saw.

~ Justin7
Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #4573
statler

I have all but given up on HGTV at this point. The only two shows I still watch are Rehab Addict which lately has abandoned it's original premise and has come down with a bad case of HGTV-itis (actual restoration vs gut and rebuild), and Maine Cabin Masters which is every bit as fake and insipid as every other reality show, but it's my one guilty pleasure.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #4574
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
I have all but given up on HGTV at this point.
I watch in the Nietzschean spirit of "Love your enemies because they bring out the best in you."

It's fascinating (and often a bit sad) to see some older homes, often left as time-capsules. And depending on the property that's selected, I may move along before demo, or stay tuned to see the home's structure (I'm a bit of a carpentry geek).

I think most of us here have better taste than the smiling folks on television.

~ Justin7
Old 08-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #4575
statler

Even This Old House is mostly gut and rebuild nowadays. (And in one sad case, a complete tear down & new build.) But in fairness, they are working under the direction of the homeowner, which is usually not the case in HGTVland. And their carpentry is far superior.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #4576
CSTH

The best architecture on TV is TreeHouse Masters, and we all know it.
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #4577
Beton Brut

As I've aged, this Japanese concept has become central to my perception.

A couple of years ago, my ladyfriend and I considered purchasing a vacation/rental property in Western Mass. We visited a home in Stockbridge, very close to the gates of Tanglewood. It was built at midcentury and had been occupied by an elderly couple until they both passed. A moment inside told us that it had been a well-loved place for a family. I was moved and shaken at the site of grandchildren's toys, games, and puzzles, all slowly acquiring a veneer of dust.

Time and money could have tugged this modest mid-mod cottage into the 21st century, but neither of us could get our hearts around erasing its history. I honestly didn't feel right about being on that property. I imagine someone else will bulldoze it without thinking twice.

~ Justin7
Old 08-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #4578
statler

^^
Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #4579
Beton Brut

^^ Precisely.

~ Justin7
Old 08-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #4580
TheRifleman

I actually miss the 1970's and 80's character of North Station and Kenmore Square.
Tough, hungry and unique.
Coming in on the Green-L Train. I miss the upper deck portion of the Train in the area.

Going to the Garden for old Celts or Bruins games you knew the battles were brewing.
Walking to Fenway Park all the sidewalk deals and vendors trying to sell you stuff was awesome.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote