archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #141
hockey92

Re: Back Bay Garage Tower (Dartmouth and Stuart)

I like it but could jump another 50' to really stand out
hockey92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #142
Coyote137

Send a message via AIM to Coyote137

I like it in and of itself, but not necessarily that close to the Hancock.
Coyote137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #143
Proposition Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by type001 View Post
Did anyone notice in the 6th picture that the bar area is somehow taller than the JHT? How'd they do that?
I think they might have taken pictures from the top of the Prudential and used those in the rendering?
Proposition Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #144
meddlepal

I like it... but I don't love it. It will definitely be better than what's there right now. Also, pretty sure this is in the wrong thread?
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #145
czsz

This is becoming a very nice visit back to AB after a few days' absence. Thumbs up!
czsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #146
Czervik.Construction

I think this looks a lot nicer than the Clarendon, which is ok, but kind of a snooze fest. Aside from the curvy part, I think it looks a lot like The Helena in NYC.

Czervik.Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #147
PaulC

New address to planning study:

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...t-street-study

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...FDP/story.html

Quote:
The owner of the John Hancock Tower in Boston is negotiating with Governor Deval Patrickís administration to renovate and manage the MBTAís Back Bay Station in exchange for the right to build a towering complex of residences, stores, and offices, state officials said Tuesday.

A deal could eventually allow developer Boston Properties Inc. to construct a skyscraper and at least one other building above the rehabilitated station, which would get a new retail arcade, ventilation upgrades, and a glass facade along Dartmouth Street. City officials would also have to approve the new buildings.

Quote:
The full-scale restoration by Boston Properties, expected to cost at least $25 million, would not begin until fall 2015, but smaller upgrades could start within months. Simon is expected to outline the framework of the deal at a board meeting of the Massachusetts Transportation Department scheduled for Wednesday. Once the final details are negotiated, the board would be asked to vote on the deal later this year.
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #148
JohnAKeith

Did I just hear Ned Flaherty cry out in pain?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #149
type001

That is some bonus news right there to supplement all the great things going on right now. Even the timing is good!
type001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #150
meddlepal

This would be a great place for Boston's new tallest... of course the South End would throw a nutty.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #151
lynqueezy

Boston just keeps getting better with all of these developments planned/uc, in the next few years maybe 2017 we'll finally look like a "world-class" city.
lynqueezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #152
tmac9wr

Wow, this would be the perfect place for another iconic tower. When I was working in the Hancock Tower I would often jump on the Orange Line to get to South Station and would always think about how great this area would look if that garage was developed into a tower.

A situation like this is win-win for the city since it would reduce costs for maintenance of a station & provide free renovations while simultaneously increasing tax revenue.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 06-18-2014 at 08:14 AM.
tmac9wr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #153
underground

Back Bay Station could definitely use a renovation. It's got great bones, but it's just so fucking dark and musty in there. Even doing something incredibly simple like a paint job would turn it into a totally different place.

Bonus points on this project if Ned throws a fit, and gets shut down by Patrick/Walsh.
underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #154
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground View Post
Bonus points on this project if Ned throws a fit, and gets shut down by Patrick/Walsh.
I've been as entertained by him as anyone, but why would he throw a fit if the overall amount of decked-over Turnpike isn't changing? At most they'd be replacing a garage over the highway with buildings, and the article implies that the skyscraper would be over the new concourse on the current plaza, not on new air rights.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #155
underground

Because Ned's problem wasn't the decking. Ned's problem is he's a class-A complain-at-all-costs NIMBY. If he wasn't complaining about the deck, he'd find some other Bogey Man to complain about.
underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #156
mcus29

I've been commuting through Back Bay Station for about 20 years and I swear it's probably taken that many off my life expectancy. It's the dirtiest air in Boston, that I know of anyways. Perfect place for development and sounds like that garage right next store would go too, thank God. It's only common sense to build there, surprised it's taken this long. All this development kinda has a snowball effect.
mcus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #157
bobthebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcus29 View Post
I've been commuting through Back Bay Station for about 20 years and I swear it's probably taken that many off my life expectancy. It's the dirtiest air in Boston, that I know of anyways. Perfect place for development and sounds like that garage right next store would go too, thank God. It's only common sense to build there, surprised it's taken this long. All this development kinda has a snowball effect.
Hopefully it'll snowball into a couple more air rights projects along the pike in that area.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #158
Deetroyt

Very exciting stuff, even if any potential tower wouldn't be coming along for several years.

As for my personal top ten list of projects I'd like to see get off the ground this year (not that anyone asked, and in no particular order):

1. CSC/Four Seasons
2. Copley Tower
3. North Station Tower
4. MassDOT Parcel 12/15
5. Fenway Center
6. Fenway Burger King/Skanksa
7. Nashua Street Residences
8. Lovejoy Wharf Condo Portion
9. Congress St. Towers
10. The Point

And if we could slide Harbor Garage and Winthrop Sq. towers into next year, i'd be quite happy with that
Deetroyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #159
choo

Since we know little, and aimless speculation is what most of this is about, Is this an opportunity for a new tallest? There are some tall luxury units going up so i don't know if Boston could support an 800'+ condo in addition to all the other ones going on (maybe i'm wrong, who knows). But the Back Bay has very low office vacancies and this is about as prime a location as you can get.

Think we could get a new mixed use, tallest building? Dare I say a spire would be great point to break the height too!
choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #160
briv
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to briv

Back Bay station needs some serious maintenance. The roof leaks like a sieve, but more pressing is the air quality issue. One many days the air inside the station is almost opaque with exhaust. It's been this way for years and it's astonishing that the MBTA hasn't been forced to address this. Repairs to the station's ventilation systems were supposed to be paid for by the developers of Columbus Center as part of their mitigation package. When that project fell apart I guess the MBTA didn't have a plan-B to pay for the required work to the station.

The desperate state of the station could help speed a new tower proposal through.
briv is offline   Reply With Quote