archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #2721
FitchburgLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 238
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

They made expansion across the Mystic River significantly harder (since the station is literally sitting at Rt. 16 at grade), in exchange for a much cheaper and simpler project, which seems reasonable to me.
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #2722
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,240
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchburgLine View Post
They made expansion across the Mystic River significantly harder (since the station is literally sitting at Rt. 16 at grade), in exchange for a much cheaper and simpler project, which seems reasonable to me.
Me too.

I'm also convinced that the Green Line was never getting across the Mystic: The bridge work on the two spans (over the parkway and over the Mystic) was going to be too expensive.

If West Medford is ever going to get frequent transit, the money will be better spent on whatever it takes to put a 3-track tunnel under Route 60 for two side "NSRL" platforms and a center freight-clearance and express track. I don't see how you'd ever squeeze that and a two track GLX into West Medford Square.

And if there's going to be a NSRL-to-GLX transfer station somewhere, it seems like Tufts or Gilman or Washington St are better places.
Beyond that, for at least the useful life of the MVP station (til, what, 2065?) there are going to be more-deserving, more-receptive places to run a green line branch to places not slated for NSRL service, like beyond Riverside, or on the Urban Ring to Chelsea.
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #2723
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,853
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
So they have, in fact, delivered on the planning for 2017, delivering a [url="https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hubspot-sales/oiiaigjnkhngdbnoookogelabohpglmd?hl=en"]
Correct link: http://greenlineextension.eot.state....ctober2017.pdf

p.95 for diagrams.

I hadn't realized until now that this station will technically be in Somerville. Huh.
Equilibria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #2724
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,240
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Correct link: http://greenlineextension.eot.state....ctober2017.pdf

p.95 for diagrams.

I hadn't realized until now that this station will technically be in Somerville. Huh.
Thanks for correcting the link! (I went back to fix it in the original)

And I've always suspected that part of what's kept the MVP station alive is that it sought political asylum on a tiny little peninsula of Somerville (and owned by Tufts) surrounded on 3 sides by a skeptical Medford.
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #2725
Charlie_mta
Senior Member
 
Charlie_mta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,094
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I don't think the proposed at-grade station would preclude future extension to West Medford all that much. The major cost will be the new viaduct across the Mystic River and Parkway. The at-grade station will be relatively inexpensive to build and be a small sunk cost in a future extension project.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #2726
FitchburgLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 238
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Thanks for correcting the link! (I went back to fix it in the original)

And I've always suspected that part of what's kept the MVP station alive is that it sought political asylum on a tiny little peninsula of Somerville (and owned by Tufts) surrounded on 3 sides by a skeptical Medford.
My prediction is by 2026 the new Medford will be pissed at themselves for killing an extension in 2005, in the same way that Arlington feels dumb for turning down the subway. Nevertheless, lots of high-frequency bus feeders to MVP are a pretty huge upgrade over hourly Commuter Rail anyway, and should be a workable solution until Regional Rail.
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #2727
ceo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 97
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

They were never going to cross 60 with the GLX; the plan was to put the station just south of it. I'm glad to see the plan includes a pedestrian walkway to West Medford Square; it's otherwise a long and indirect walk between the two.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #2728
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,240
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo View Post
They were never going to cross 60 with the GLX; the plan was to put the station just south of it. I'm glad to see the plan includes a pedestrian walkway to West Medford Square; it's otherwise a long and indirect walk between the two.
That's MGNA's Bridge (a neighborhood group), not, so far an official thing (though it should be)

I would say West Medford already regrets not getting the GLX (just like Arlington Center does)

On Railroad.net F-Line discussed possible bus impacts, such as less commitment to CR as Frequencies at MVP beat speed from WMed particularly given GLXs access to the central subway.

A mix of walk/bike locals voting with their feet, and fthe 80 and 94 see an boost, and a new route develops Davis Sq-College Ave-Boston Ave-WMed-Playstead-Winthrop St-WnchCtr.

It would be similar to how the impulse to extend beyond Alewife is lessened by the way the Minuteman and 77 have bloomed into a "good enough" "next stop" solution (and the prospect of nuking the Minuteman at people's back fences in order to tunnel the Red looks like a double loss).

If a bridge and path do connect the MVP to WMed, and the 80, 94 get upgrades, and a new bus runs Davis-GLXWMed-Wegemere, I think folks will be happy enough.
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #2729
whittle
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 77
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo View Post
They were never going to cross 60 with the GLX; the plan was to put the station just south of it. I'm glad to see the plan includes a pedestrian walkway to West Medford Square; it's otherwise a long and indirect walk between the two.
The are two existing crossings 500 feet on each side from where the pedestrian crossing would be.
whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #2730
vanshnookenraggen
Moderator
 
vanshnookenraggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 6,071
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchburgLine View Post
My prediction is by 2026 the new Medford will be pissed at themselves for killing an extension in 2005, in the same way that Arlington feels dumb for turning down the subway. Nevertheless, lots of high-frequency bus feeders to MVP are a pretty huge upgrade over hourly Commuter Rail anyway, and should be a workable solution until Regional Rail.
I mean growing up there I never felt like Arlingtonians thought it was dumb to stop the Red Line. But keep in mind the Arlington of 1980 and the Arlington of 2000 are very different. Still most people liked the quiet suburban feel with the small town vibe.

West Medford isn't much of a place the same way Medford Center is so I doubt there will be much through given to the loss. And it's not like they are removing the CR station so things will pretty much stay the same... which is probably how they like it.
__________________
http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com | http://futurembta.com | http://hyperrealcartography.tumblr.com
brivx: well, my philosophy is: as designers, we make a good theater, we dont direct the play
vanshnookenraggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #2731
ceo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 97
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle View Post
The are two existing crossings 500 feet on each side from where the pedestrian crossing would be.
Yes, but either one is a much longer walk from West Medford Square, due to the street layout. (I used to live near there.)
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #2732
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,853
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

https://d3044s2alrsxog.cloudfront.ne...-extension.pdf

Bid prices will be opened on Friday. That includes additive items, so we should know at that point which of the value engineered stuff (platform canopies, bike path segments, etc) will make it in. Construction set to resume 12/11.
Equilibria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #2733
ryblogs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somerville
Posts: 12
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Getting anxious! Hopefully good things this Friday!
ryblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #2734
Ruairi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 176
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryblogs View Post
Getting anxious! Hopefully good things this Friday!
Yup, hopefully.
Seems like the height of shortsightedness not to connect the somerville community path to the top of north point.
How expensive could it be to run a dedicated path along Joy st, from the new East Somerville station. Around the brickbottom artists buildings, bridge the tracks there and back on the ground behind Zinc? Or just run it under the viaduct for the green line in Cambridge.
Seems nuts that theres going to be a huge new employment center in north point which only has Somerville pedestrian/bike access along McGrath highway/McCarthy overpass.
Ruairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #2735
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 594
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
Yup, hopefully.
Seems like the height of shortsightedness not to connect the somerville community path to the top of north point.
How expensive could it be to run a dedicated path along Joy st, from the new East Somerville station. Around the brickbottom artists buildings, bridge the tracks there and back on the ground behind Zinc? Or just run it under the viaduct for the green line in Cambridge.
Seems nuts that theres going to be a huge new employment center in north point which only has Somerville pedestrian/bike access along McGrath highway/McCarthy overpass.
I personally think it seems nuts to lump in community path/etc costs in with the GLX at all. I agree it should be connected, but don't think it should be on the GLX books to fund it.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #2736
Ruairi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 176
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
I personally think it seems nuts to lump in community path/etc costs in with the GLX at all. I agree it should be connected, but don't think it should be on the GLX books to fund it.
Yea, it is strange but far stranger tying 80% of it to the GLX project, the only section missing would link a few major community paths.
Ruairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #2737
ryblogs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somerville
Posts: 12
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
Yup, hopefully.
Seems like the height of shortsightedness not to connect the somerville community path to the top of north point.
How expensive could it be to run a dedicated path along Joy st, from the new East Somerville station. Around the brickbottom artists buildings, bridge the tracks there and back on the ground behind Zinc? Or just run it under the viaduct for the green line in Cambridge.
Seems nuts that theres going to be a huge new employment center in north point which only has Somerville pedestrian/bike access along McGrath highway/McCarthy overpass.
It seems like such a no brainer to close this link, that I feel it will get funded one way or another, if not included in the GLX. However, stupider things have happened...
ryblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #2738
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 664
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
I personally think it seems nuts to lump in community path/etc costs in with the GLX at all. I agree it should be connected, but don't think it should be on the GLX books to fund it.
It's a path alongside the tracks... That's like saying the MBTA shouldn't be fixing any of the roads that its construction impacts.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #2739
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,240
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
It's a path alongside the tracks... That's like saying the MBTA shouldn't be fixing any of the roads that its construction impacts.
In this case, though, the segment in question does not exist and never has, so there's not a path being impacted, only a Crazy Bike Pitch being deferred (similar to MVP terminus being deferred)

It really (for those 1000' or so of path that the T does not want to build) is asking the MBTA to build something entirely new, not to restore a thing that they've impacted.

Don't get me wrong: I think a continuous path is a great idea and would be of huge use to me and many, many people. But the GLX and a mostly-continuous path are both a huge boon in an of themselves, and suspect that someplace else in the state there's a bike facility (Mass Central Rail Trail? Bike to the Sea?) that would deliver a better bang for the same buck. that some want spent in Somerville.

I don't see that building this as part of the GLX is good and fair, especially since McGrath will soon be grounded and pathed along a similar route.
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #2740
ryblogs
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somerville
Posts: 12
Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
In this case, though, the segment in question does not exist and never has, so there's not a path being impacted, only a Crazy Bike Pitch being deferred (similar to MVP terminus being deferred)

It really (for those 1000' or so of path that the T does not want to build) is asking the MBTA to build something entirely new, not to restore a thing that they've impacted.

Don't get me wrong: I think a continuous path is a great idea and would be of huge use to me and many, many people. But the GLX and a mostly-continuous path are both a huge boon in an of themselves, and suspect that someplace else in the state there's a bike facility (Mass Central Rail Trail? Bike to the Sea?) that would deliver a better bang for the same buck. that some want spent in Somerville.

I don't see that building this as part of the GLX is good and fair, especially since McGrath will soon be grounded and pathed along a similar route.
McGrath soon grounded?

Isn't that scheduled for 2026 - 2029?

I'd hardly call that "soon".
ryblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Line extension to Lynn PaulC Transit and Infrastructure 244 07-23-2017 03:13 PM
"We want a Blue Line extension to Lynn-Salem" BostonUrbEx Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events 0 12-05-2012 11:20 AM
Green Line extension Newton to Needham choo Transit and Infrastructure 12 10-10-2012 10:07 AM
Mock Green Line Extension Groundbreaking! BostonUrbEx Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events 12 10-21-2011 03:15 PM
Fitchburg Line Extension pharmerdave Transit and Infrastructure 61 12-20-2010 04:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.