archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

View Poll Results: Do you support a move to a new forum?
Yes 59 93.65%
No 2 3.17%
Other - I'll Explain Below 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
statler

Should we stay or should we go?

As most members are aware this forum has been running with just two moderators, neither of whom have true admin privileges. This has led to a few problems with the forum that have been discussed elsewhere and don't need to be rehashed here.

While we are all hopeful for Briv's return, we need to face the reality that the current situation is probably unsustainable in the long term.

Moving to a new forum presents a few challenges as well, some of which may be easily resolved and some may be more difficult.

So, before we start making plans to migrate to a new home, we wanted to give members a chance to voice their support or opposition to a move. Please take the time to vote as we want to make sure we have a majority of member support before we start moving forward.

You can use this thread to make a case to move or stay, but please try keep any other new forum related discussion to this thread.

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
JeffDowntown

Re: Should we stay or should we go?

I support the move assuming that the majority of historical content can be moved successfully.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
Hubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
I support the move assuming that the majority of historical content can be moved successfully.
+1
Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
tysmith95

I think it's worth moving even if new threads will need to be created, as long as there is a way to link back to the historical site.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
BarbaricManchurian

Even if the site goes down we can try to recover important posts using Google cache or archive.org. I'm leaning towards a "best of" series of top-quality posts that can maybe be refined as blog articles. Can help develop this place as a repository of the best regional literature on development by anonymous contributors lol. Seriously, it can help us get press and political attention, which obviously has to be decided by consensus whether that's a legitimate goal of ours or not.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
This an important thing to clarify: without admin access to this site, this does not appear to be possible. If we had admin access, we wouldn't need to move.

This site would remain for as long as Briv keeps it up, with all of its content but no ability to make new posts. The site could also be scraped and stored in a static archive without formatting. However, any new site would be starting from scratch.

As BarbaricManchurian points out, the authors of some of the more creative, innovative, or informative content here could/would/should be invited to recreate and refine that content on the new site, hopefully in a persistently-promoted format.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
This an important thing to clarify: without admin access to this site, this does not appear to be possible. If we had admin access, we wouldn't need to move.

This site would remain for as long as Briv keeps it up, with all of its content but no ability to make new posts. The site could also be scraped and stored in a static archive without formatting. However, any new site would be starting from scratch.

As BarbaricManchurian points out, the authors of some of the more creative, innovative, or informative content here could/would/should be invited to recreate and refine that content on the new site, hopefully in a persistently-promoted format.
Yep this.

I think we could take some time to recreate all of the active projects in a new form, but some of the older stuff wouldn't really migrate over (except of course as a static archive).
Old 04-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Arlington

Scrape and store the old thing as an archive for the new thing.

Archboston is a fabulous historical resource, and the threads are great.

But let's be honest, how often does anyone *actually* read back more than a page or two in a thread in order to participate in the "live" part of the thread?

The archive should be preserved *somewhere* but as long as Google can find it is 90% as effective as actually being "in thread"

Mostly, I'd say the new forum just needs to have thread for any topic that's been active in the last 18 month (and ideally the same usernames?)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
ant8904

The only I really really want to make sure we keep is the GLX thread. Mostly because that thread started in 2006, it's old title was "Green Line to Medford to start in 2011" and now in 2019 with true, real GLX construction happening, I want to see that thread reach to the end. I want to see that thread gets its photo montage of its opening, posts blogging our ride experiences, even the inevitable rants complaining about something, then finally gets that thread lock per procedure for the project is truly, finally completed.

There's a few other threads I kinda care and want around for nostalgic reasons. But that GLX thread, if there's a thread I want to make sure it survives, it's that thread.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
Shepard

62 votes counted... 93.55% in support. I'd venture to say this looks to be as unanimous as these things can ever be.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:41 AM   #11
Jouhou

I don't know! It's looking a bit like an inevitability with Briv not being present.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:12 AM   #12
palindrome

I voted yes. At this point there will come a day when this site no longer works and it would be better to prempt.

Once the new site is set and agreed upon we should add the link to all our signatures to try and capture more attention of current casual members along with those who have tried to register for here but in purgatory. Ultimately it will be content that drives the migration.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #13
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
I voted yes. At this point there will come a day when this site no longer works and it would be better to prempt.

Once the new site is set and agreed upon we should add the link to all our signatures to try and capture more attention of current casual members along with those who have tried to register for here but in purgatory. Ultimately it will be content that drives the migration.
Agreed. I don't think any of us want to move, but we've voiced our concerns over Briv's absence for years and no change has occurred. Therefore the only other option to ensure the continued success of this form is to move.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #14
bobthebuilder

Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
jass

Now that briv is confirmed alive, I vote we stay, assuming he grants more admin roles
Closed Thread