archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

View Poll Results: Which domain do we want to ArchBoston too?
archboston.net 22 88.00%
archboston.city 2 8.00%
Other - I'll Explain Below 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
statler

New Forum Domain Poll

There was (as expected) an overwhelming agreement to move to a new forum at a new domain.

The next step will be to pick which domain we want to move to.

DrFreewind has registered archboston.city and Justin7 has registered archboston.net.

At this point, I am going to be completely honest and admit I don't know what happens after this is decided.

While I will still be here and helping out where I can from this end, anything regarding the new forum will initially be handled by whomever handles the domain we choose.

But first we need to choose.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
tysmith95

Re: New Forum Domain Poll

I don't think it needs to be one versus the other. Preferably it would be nice to see Justin and DrFreewind work together, maybe even combine the 2 domains into one site. This site has multiple domains, so the new site could too.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
datadyne007

Primary should be net. Novelty domains never really caught on. City can redirect.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
BarbaricManchurian

Arch.boston
Old 05-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Equilibria

Obviously development should be cooperative between these two users, as well as whoever else ends up as an admin. Both domains should lead to the same place. That said... .net is much more standard than .city and makes the community sound more professional.

Ideally we can someday reacquire archboston.com and archboston.org and move the site to archboston.com. For now, .net is the way to go.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I don't think it needs to be one versus the other. Preferably it would be nice to see Justin and DrFreewind work together, maybe even combine the 2 domains into one site. This site has multiple domains, so the new site could too.
This.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Obviously development should be cooperative between these two users, as well as whoever else ends up as an admin. Both domains should lead to the same place. That said... .net is much more standard than .city and makes the community sound more professional.

Ideally we can someday reacquire archboston.com and archboston.org and move the site to archboston.com. For now, .net is the way to go.
Bingo.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
DrFreewind

Would you guys be interested in arch-boston.com? that is available right now, and then we can remove the - when archboston.com becomes available
Old 05-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFreewind View Post
Would you guys be interested in arch-boston.com? that is available right now, and then we can remove the - when archboston.com becomes available
No, because I think that a google search for "archboston" will bring up archboston.net more readily than arch-boston.com.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #10
briv
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to briv

Sorry, I just saw this.

You guys just want to take over this site?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #11
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by briv View Post
Sorry, I just saw this.

You guys just want to take over this site?
Thank you. Yes! First step is just naming more admins and getting the administration of the site back on track. Theming, migration, content curation/user retention strategies can follow.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
briv
Administrator

OK, we can do that. PM me some details and we can get rolling.

Sorry Ive been out of the loop so long.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #13
Equilibria

Quote:
OK, we can do that. PM me some details and we can get rolling.

Sorry Ive been out of the loop so long.
A thousand times, thank you!!!

I agree with Data. Seems like our priority now is selecting admins.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #14
tysmith95

Glad you're alive and (hopefully) well Briv. Yes we want multiple administrators, so we can continue to approve new members and keep this site up and running.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #15
BarbaricManchurian

Fucking finally. If we really do get full access, we should strongly consider starting a blog page and a map of geotagged photos and projects. And still change the forum software and set up a donation option (Patreon). First priority is obviously clearing the assuredly massive backlog of new users needing approval. Now DrFreewind has said he wants to make an image hoster, but it can be built into the forum software itself if we’re willing to pay for the hosting space (will be much larger than for a forum with externally hosted images).
Old 05-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #16
briv
Administrator

Those are good ideas, BM. Hosting images would be ideal. This was never implemented before mainly because of the added cost of hosting huge amounts of photos. It would have been substantial. Also, hosting images on the site adds a layer of additional complexity and required maintenance/management/moderation. It was too much to handle alone, but could work with committed team of volunteers and steady donations. Even still, IMO, it's something that should be considered carefully before implementing.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #17
Equilibria

Quote:
Those are good ideas, BM. Hosting images would be ideal. This was never implemented before mainly because of the added cost of hosting huge amounts of photos. It would have been substantial. Also, hosting images on the site adds a layer of additional complexity and required maintenance/management/moderation. It was too much to handle alone, but could work with committed team of volunteers and steady donations. Even still, IMO, it's something that should be considered carefully before implementing.
All good points. I think what we've found through discussions over the past months is that we have an appetite in the community to both commit time and support the site financially. That said, I also think we should consider our moves on hosting carefully. Once AB becomes a photo archive, we need to pay to maintain it essentially forever. There may be options short of our own server that make more sense (e.g., a favored third party hosting site).

Personally, I'd place the photo hosting a little lower on the list of priorities. For now, I think we need to decide who should be moderators and admins, resolve the membership backlog (whatever it looks like at the moment), and work on modernizing the appearance and function of the forum, as we've been discussing on this and other threads.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #18
tysmith95

Although the cost of cloud storage to host images in this site is much lower than it was 10-15 years ago when this site was built.

But anyway, the biggest reason we're considering building a new site is the lack of approval for new members, and no succession plan if something were to happen to Briv. We were worried that the site might suddenly go down because of no admin being present. This did happen for a week last year.
Closed Thread