archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #21
Arlington

Re: Forum Move: Rules, Governance & Funding

RR.net is moderated like a 1994 Usenet where posts in your subscribed topics would be copied to your email (and hence needed to be very on topic). They don't quite get that contributors are content creators. Also that Bus is the Mode Who Must Not Be Named.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
fattony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAKeith View Post
It seems to me we're too quick to ban people. I dunno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
For the record, since Briv started the forum in 2006 we have banned 3 active users, 1 sock puppet account, 1 SEO bot account and 6 spammers from 1800+ members who have signed up.
No, you dunno, do you John? I cannot disagree with you more strongly. I think Statler's numbers clearly show that essentially don't ban anyone ever. We tolerate a lot of nonsense on this forum. Far too much in my opinion.

I'm not advocating being trigger happy with bans, but we could do it a lot sooner than it with, e.g., TheRifleman.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:47 AM   #23
F-Line to Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
RR.net is moderated like a 1994 Usenet where posts in your subscribed topics would be copied to your email (and hence needed to be very on topic). They don't quite get that contributors are content creators. Also that Bus is the Mode Who Must Not Be Named.

Considering the average age of the most prolific posters is well north of AARP membership, that is about as surprising as beige.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #24
Equilibria

One thing to consider in terms of rules would be setting up threads to discuss topics like affordable housing, developer tax breaks, transportation funding/pricing, etc. and having a quick trigger on redirecting conversation to those threads on the development threads (as opposed to banning or taking other punitive action).

I don't oppose people hashing through these things, but I don't like development threads repeatedly veering off.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #25
TheMagicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
One thing to consider in terms of rules would be setting up threads to discuss topics like affordable housing, developer tax breaks, transportation funding/pricing, etc. and having a quick trigger on redirecting conversation to those threads on the development threads (as opposed to banning or taking other punitive action).

I don't oppose people hashing through these things, but I don't like development threads repeatedly veering off.
I would like to put in an official complaint to the moderator.

Where do these types of comments belong concerning forum rules, governance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdude78 View Post
SHUT UP and go away. This is a idiotic discussion to have. STOP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Indeed... Don't feed the trolls

I feel threatened to even posts my thoughts now. I hope the new website doesn't allow people to threaten or ridicule each other.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #26
Equilibria

Without engaging directly with a current situation, I think there are some tools we can have in our toolbox on the new site:

- Enough moderators that resolving situations with PMs is possible when needed. The only engagement that folks get shouldn't be in an open forum (this may already be happening in this case out of my view, but it of course would be easier with more mods).

- Wikis, FYI articles, Read This First posts, etc. that allow questions like "why can't we build 1,200 everywhere" to be resolved without the need to ask. There are some issues that don't have "right answers" and that can be reconsidered or rediscussed from time-to-time, ideally on dedicated threads. There are other questions that have answers, and we should be informative on those points.

- A quick trigger on diverting or ending discussion when it becomes oppressive, confusing to a casual visitor (as in 10 pages of spirited exchange on a project thread of a general issue, a community issue, or another project) or offensive (Statler and Van do what they can on this, but again, it's just the two of them right now).

The much thornier issue that I don't think we can solve is identification. We ban so rarely that we have no institutional memory of what happens afterward or if that person "returns", and we value anonymity so we all end up in a Catch-22.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:59 AM   #27
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
I would like to put in an official complaint to the moderator.
Rifle, if you keep drawing attention to your new account it is going to get banned as well.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #28
TheMagicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Rifle, if you keep drawing attention to your new account it is going to get banned as well.
I'm not Rifle for the 3rd time concerning the harassment on this site.

I'm just curious what did Rifleman get banned for? Did he attack other posters like this?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #29
fattony

Quote:
I'm not Rifle for the 3rd time concerning the harassment on this site.

I'm just curious what did Rifleman get banned for? Did he attack other posters like this?
I cannot speak to what crossed the threshold to getting him banned, but I can tell you what he did to disrupt our community. He posted imaginary things that aren't remotely grounded in reality, completely derailing discussions. He failed to read any of the preceding parts of any thread and just posted what was on his mind at the moment, often in direct contradiction to recent posts. He posted the same irrelevant things over and over in many threads. His posts were usually angry and often difficult to understand.

With respect, some of your posts share characteristics with his. Specifically in the South Station Tower thread, you seem to not have read any information about the project. You've proposed a very unusual scheme for the tower when firm plans already exist. And you've been quick to get angry. You don't write exactly the same way as TheRifleman, but you have an unusual style that is similar. I think that is why some posters have been rude to you, because you remind them of TheRifleman.

I think we would all like you to participate in the forum, but your recent posts have been more disruptive than constructive. Maybe tone it down a little, read more of the old posts, and try to keep your anger in check.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #30
TheMagicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
I cannot speak to what crossed the threshold to getting him banned, but I can tell you what he did to disrupt our community. He posted imaginary things that aren't remotely grounded in reality, completely derailing discussions. He failed to read any of the preceding parts of any thread and just posted what was on his mind at the moment, often in direct contradiction to recent posts. He posted the same irrelevant things over and over in many threads. His posts were usually angry and often difficult to understand.

With respect, some of your posts share characteristics with his. Specifically in the South Station Tower thread, you seem to not have read any information about the project. You've proposed a very unusual scheme for the tower when firm plans already exist. And you've been quick to get angry. You don't write exactly the same way as TheRifleman, but you have an unusual style that is similar. I think that is why some posters have been rude to you, because you remind them of TheRifleman.

I think we would all like you to participate in the forum, but your recent posts have been more disruptive than constructive. Maybe tone it down a little, read more of the old posts, and try to keep your anger in check.

Hopefully theMagicman has the right tools to fit into this community.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #31
Hubman

Quote:
I believe he sent some rather offensive PMs to people.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #32
Justin7

Quote:
The final nail for me was the victimization complex on display above. I think it is fairly clear that this is the same person. I don't think this is the place for this discussion though. Statler will decide how to handle this.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #33
TheMagicMan

Quote:
He failed to read any of the preceding parts of any thread and just posted what was on his mind at the moment, often in direct contradiction to recent posts. He posted the same irrelevant things over and over in many threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
I believe he sent some rather offensive PMs to people.
So therifleman took the time to send private offensive PM's to users only to never read the threads?

Quote:
The final nail for me was the victimization complex on display above. I think it is fairly clear that this is the same person. I don't think this is the place for this discussion though. Statler will decide how to handle this.
Now this Justin 7 claims that TheMagicman is the Rifleman?
Wow. I should have never posted on this site. Good luck with your community.

If anything I have been getting harassed on this site. Nice. Please copy and paste the comments that I deserved this type of reaction from fellow members.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by TheMagicMan; 05-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #34
TheMagicMan

Quote:

Don't worry about an apology. I'm a person of compassion for others. Themagicman loves Magic * Poof* I just disappeared.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #35
FK4

I hesitate to wade in here, but I did not know he had been banned and I hope there was something nastier in private messaging that I did not know about... the visceral reactions he generated on this forum were one of the major influences on my concerns I raised earlier in this thread about knee jerk reactions and banning people for political reasons... yes, he was unhinged, but countless times, it was very clear that the "unhinged-ness" was used as a cover for knee jerk reactions to the conservative political streak behind many of his posts, which is anathema for a lot of people on this forum (and in Boston). I again would raise these concerns, and am generally glad that very few people have been banned on this forum... and hope that flexibility and reasonableness continue on the new site.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #36
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
I hesitate to wade in here, but I did not know he had been banned and I hope there was something nastier in private messaging that I did not know about... the visceral reactions he generated on this forum were one of the major influences on my concerns I raised earlier in this thread about knee jerk reactions and banning people for political reasons... yes, he was unhinged, but countless times, it was very clear that the "unhinged-ness" was used as a cover for knee jerk reactions to the conservative political streak behind many of his posts, which is anathema for a lot of people on this forum (and in Boston). I again would raise these concerns, and am generally glad that very few people have been banned on this forum... and hope that flexibility and reasonableness continue on the new site.
The ban was announced by Statler in February: http://www.archboston.org/community/...ead.php?t=5769
Old 05-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #37
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
The issue for me is not the viewpoint, it's the derailing of threads, something we've all been guilty of at one time or another. I repeat my call for strong issue-based threads where these thing can be fought out without confusing people who come to learn about developments.