archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 AM   #621
cybah

Re: Silver Line to Chelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Are the stations pre-paid, controlled access, all door boarding, or do you pay on boarding (pre-paid is gold standard)?
It's on board fare collection. Machines will be at stations to sell tickets, but its not pre-payment. And no, controlled access to stations. (more due to cost & location. A few stations are a VERY tight fit)

Quote:
Platinum Standard includes dual station stops with all door exit, all door boarding, first stop for exiting, the second stop for boarding, both elevated, level with the interior (no steps).
I was asking gold, not platinum. All door exit, yes.

All-door boarding should come with AFC 2.0, but not currently upon opening of this line in a few months. (I believe AFC 2.0 is whiles away)

Quote:
Are the signals triggered for the buses, or do they have to wait at street crossings (signal priority is gold standard).
I would assume so, wouldn't make sense to have signals that randomly change if the buses aren't there, especially at busy intersections like Everett Ave. But to answer truthfully.. I can't answer that definitively. I'll add it to my list of questions I want to ask when I get my tour (which is coming soon btw..)
cybah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #622
JeffDowntown

Well, look at it this way, you have a really good dedicated busway.

As long as demand is not too high (which would be demand like the Silver Line Washington Street, where bunching is endemic), single door boarding probably won't mess up headway too much. Waiting for people to enter and pay through a single door really slows things down (even prepaid Charlie Tickets process slower than a Charlie Card tap).
Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #623
cybah

Hey All-

Well it's been some time since the last update and considering the next week or so weather-wise has it looking dull and grey. I decided to seize the moment and take some updated shots.

Like before, things are 'moving along'.. little things here and there are done. Traffic lights now at Everett Ave & Spruce Street. And now at the Broadway Bridge. Today it looks like they are getting ready to setup the forms and what not for the Bellingham Sq station canopies.

I think alot of the more noticable stuff will happen from here on out, as it gets warmer out.

But it's all coming together, very very quietly.

If you'd like to see the previous photo sets they can be found here by clicking on the links below:

Pics from 4/25/15
Pics from 6/20/15
Pics from 8/1/15
Pics from 9/19/15
Pics from 10/31/15
Pics from 1/9/16
Pics from 3/12/16
Pics from 4/16/16
Pics from 5/15/16
Pics from 6/26/16
Pics from 8/13/16
Pics from 10/5/16
Pics from 11/10/16
Pics from 12/14/16
Pics from 2/2/17

And if you'd like to see the ALL of NEW photos, you can click here

Now for the highlights..

Finished canopies at Eastern Ave Station, as seen from Eastern Ave

----

Another view of the finished canopies at Eastern Ave Station, as seen from Eastern Ave

----

Looking into the busway from the Bellingham Street Bridge toward Box District Station

----

Looking toward the Bellingham Street Bridge from Willow Street

----

Looking toward Box District Station near Library Street

----

Looking toward Bellingham Street Bridge from near Library Steet.

----

Box District Station

----

The grading for the shared use path with new signal in background near the Broadway Bridge

----

Shared use path from Broadway (no idea what is being built.. power hut?)

----

Looking toward Box Distrct Station from the Broadway Bridge

----

Looking toward Bellingham Sq Station from the Broadway Bridge

----

Looking toward the Broadway Bridge from the Washington Ave Bridge

----

Work being done at Bellingham Sq Station

---

New traffic signal poles at the Spruce Street Crossing

---

Finishing up the canopies at Chelsea Station

----

That's all for now. Probably more pics late April, unless big changes happen. And as always, let me know what you think!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #624
JeffDowntown

Any idea why there are traffic lights on the busway around the Broadway bridge? Is the busway under the bridge too narrow, resulting in one-way traffic that needs to be managed?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #625
cybah

Quote:
Any idea why there are traffic lights on the busway around the Broadway bridge? Is the busway under the bridge too narrow, resulting in one-way traffic that needs to be managed?
It's too narrow for 2 full sized lanes. So the traffic light will tell when its clear to enter under the bridge.

The bridge was built in 1988 so it's 'fairly new' and isn't slated to get redone for a long time, so they had this workaround.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #626
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybah View Post
It's too narrow for 2 full sized lanes. So the traffic light will tell when its clear to enter under the bridge.

The bridge was built in 1988 so it's 'fairly new' and isn't slated to get redone for a long time, so they had this workaround.
Thanks -- makes sense.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #627
whittle

This thought just occurred to me, and apologize if this has been brought up before. If the SL6 is priced like the subway (as the other lines using the silver line tunnel are) will there be any issues in allowing the Charliecard to have a free transfer between the SL6 and Blue Line at Airport?
whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #628
millerm277

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle View Post
This thought just occurred to me, and apologize if this has been brought up before. If the SL6 is priced like the subway (as the other lines using the silver line tunnel are) will there be any issues in allowing the Charliecard to have a free transfer between the SL6 and Blue Line at Airport?
Don't see why there would be, those kinds of transfers already exist don't they? Ex: SL5 @ Chinatown.
millerm277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #629
whittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Don't see why there would be, those kinds of transfers already exist don't they? Ex: SL5 @ Chinatown.
I believe SL5 has a local bus fare so it gets a transfer to subway like every local bus. But SL1&2 (and presumably SL6) have a subway fare and since all legitimate subway to subway transfers currently don't require you to leave the paid fare zone, there is no discounted/free transfer for subway to subway.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #630
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle View Post
I believe SL5 has a local bus fare so it gets a transfer to subway like every local bus. But SL1&2 (and presumably SL6) have a subway fare and since all legitimate subway to subway transfers currently don't require you to leave the paid fare zone, there is no discounted/free transfer for subway to subway.
You are correct. SL4-5 carry an upcharge transferring to the subway. You get the bus fare credit, but not a subway fare equivalent.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #631
scorpio02150

Glass was installed about 2 weeks ago at the station at the Market Basket location.
scorpio02150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #632
cybah

Quote:
You are correct. SL4-5 carry an upcharge transferring to the subway. You get the bus fare credit, but not a subway fare equivalent.
Yeah I'm curious to know this also.

Here's the current pay scale of the SL series of buses.

I'm not sure how they can do that. They *may* be able to adjust the system to allow transfers from SLG to the Blue Line.

If not, it probably will happen with AFC 2.0.

Last edited by cybah; 04-18-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #633
cybah

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio02150 View Post
Glass was installed about 2 weeks ago at the station at the Market Basket location.
Yup. I noticed that too. The plot is being cleaned up too. Probably getting ready for pavement soon. The only station that does not have concrete canopies yet is Bellingham Square station.... so no glass. But the forms are up for one canopy, soon for the other one.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #634
odurandina

i'm intrigued by the possible effective use of narrow guage trains (re; Asia). i get you can't cross the Ted Williams tunnel, added to the untenable issue of paying for and locating a new maintenance shop. But, we're not talking about a lot of distance. i think (danger) some type of agile, light, mini-train or DFW-style tram would be highly effective for the Seaport and Chelsea routes.... if only a solution could be found for sending the buses through to Logan without interference with the faster trains.

sigh.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #635
whittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybah View Post
I'm not sure how they can do that. They *may* be able to adjust the system to allow transfers from SLG to the Blue Line.
That's been my thought. It depends on what the technical limitations of the current system are, and also potentially in the T's willingness to implement a system that might be open to abuse. If they can limit transfers to specific stations and lines, this won't be an issue; though based on how bus transfers currently work, I doubt this is a possibility. If they can add a new fare class to the system, I can think of few potential work-arounds. The one that sounds best in my head is to put a few Charliecard readers on posts somewhere between the Airport busway and fare gates; the card readers would charge some dummy fare class that costs the same as the subway, gets a free transfer from the subway, and gives a free transfer to the subway.

Though I don't actually know what the CharlieCard's technical limitations are, so this all just spitballing.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #636
jass

Am I crazy or wasnt a subway-to-subway above ground transfer offered before? Something with Mass Ave and Hynes?
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #637
CS

There is a free transfer from the Mattapan Trolley to the Red Line at Ashmont, I assume the same will be done at Airport.
Would be nice if there was some way to have the Silver Line Airport stop in fare control...
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #638
cybah

So some exciting news!!!

I was finally able to secure a meetup and walk thru with the engineer for this project, which happened yesterday! It was a long time coming, as I had pull a few favors to get this, but I was able get one!

I also was assured I would be able to do this again, and all I needed to do was contact the engineer directly again for a tour (since now I have clearance by the folks at Park Plaza to do so, providing that schedule it and do it with the engineer). So plan on seeing similar updates in the future.

I'm thinking I may do one again in the early fall and again just before it opens next year. I'd LOVE to do one every month, however I would need to do this on a weekday, during business hours, and my schedule just doesn't allow for me to do so currently, so I'll try to do it once a quarter at least. (along with my regular semi-monthly updates of pictures I take on the weekends from public ways)

So pictures will follow next week sometime.. there's a delay due to my schedule the next few days (just no real time to edit photos until Sunday plus I started a new job recently soooo yeah, super busy lately). There's also another reason for a delay, but you'll have to privately message me on social media to find out. (Nothing bad, and out of my control really)

I also will do a write up in detail, as I was able to ask the engineer so many questions about the project. There's actually several changes to the project that I was unaware of, nor are documented anywhere online.

But I can say, it's on target to open Spring 2018. (I know I said 2017, but I was clearly incorrect, and the website now reflects it). The project engineer did correct me and state that they are on schedule and I was just simply wrong. Oops :-)

Anyways so better pictures and a decent update to come in a week or so!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #639
FitchburgLine

Can't wait! Hopefully the changes don't interfere with the basic plan, since the online design looks solid (although it seems like a pretty long timeline to completion. How hard can paving the ROW be?)
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #640
Blackdog

I eagerly await the update! Sounds like you got some great information us.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote