archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Design a Better Boston

Design a Better Boston Are you disappointed with the state of Boston's current architecture/development? Think you have a better idea? Post it here.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 AM   #61
dwash59

Re: Housing a Changing City: Boston 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
No numbers, but you will need to be a bit patient for GenX to move out of the burbs. By burbs I mean outside of 128. Don't know how millennial/(what's after millennials?) would be able to live there without a car.
Lots of towns outside 128 are building more housing and growing. Billerica, Bedford, and Chelmsford all show growth between the 2010 census and the 2016 5-year ACS estimates.

The notion of GenX people moving out of the burbs is also weird. Ignoring that the youngest members of that generation are still in their 30's and have young kids, even the older ones are expected to age in place, similar to whate the baby boomers are doing today.
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #62
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
No numbers, but you will need to be a bit patient for GenX to move out of the burbs. By burbs I mean outside of 128. Don't know how millennial/(what's after millennials?) would be able to live there without a car.
A lot of us Gen-x folks never moved to the burbs, but friends of mine who did aren't all that interested in coming back to the city. They are accustomed to where they are, and see the city as an expensive option. Those of us who have always remained in Boston aren't likely to leave, but either way, I don't see Gen-X doing much to impact urban vs suburban population growth rates any time soon.
HenryAlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #63
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
A lot of us Gen-x folks never moved to the burbs, but friends of mine who did aren't all that interested in coming back to the city. They are accustomed to where they are, and see the city as an expensive option. Those of us who have always remained in Boston aren't likely to leave, but either way, I don't see Gen-X doing much to impact urban vs suburban population growth rates any time soon.
Maybe not this historic urban core, but what about "new urban" developments, and higher density suburban living? I feel like those options might be pretty popular with long-time suburbanites who no longer need 2500+ square feet (in fact, that size might actually be a burden for some), but don't want to move into the city, but would still like some of the convenience of having everything accessible on foot (or very nearby by car)?
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #64
fattony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Maybe not this historic urban core, but what about "new urban" developments, and higher density suburban living? I feel like those options might be pretty popular with long-time suburbanites who no longer need 2500+ square feet (in fact, that size might actually be a burden for some), but don't want to move into the city, but would still like some of the convenience of having everything accessible on foot (or very nearby by car)?
I believe you are describing a "town" and they do seem pretty popular throughout New England.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #65
SeamusMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
I believe you are describing a "town" and they do seem pretty popular throughout New England.
Nope. Your snark misses.
Maybe it's a description of what a town "should be", but in general, not what they are.
Our small cities don't live up to what Lrfox is describing, so our towns in general don't come close.
SeamusMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:46 AM   #66
whittle

Here's a nice video on how to maximize housing from an engineering perspective; as in maximizing usable floor area at the lowest cost. Though one of his suggestions is prefab buildings which definitely would not fly here.

whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #67
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle View Post
Here's a nice video on how to maximize housing from an engineering perspective; as in maximizing usable floor area at the lowest cost. Though one of his suggestions is prefab buildings which definitely would not fly here.
There are several recent examples of modular construction for apartments in Boston, like this one in Charlestown.

https://boston.curbed.com/boston-dev...ng-development

Not sure why you think it won't fly here?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #68
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
There are several recent examples of modular construction for apartments in Boston, like this one in Charlestown.

https://boston.curbed.com/boston-dev...ng-development

Not sure why you think it won't fly here?
I would guess they are referring to the unions here being against them, like when a prefab was proposed in Westie and that the zoning board nixed it with support from the Carpenter's union.

https://www.universalhub.com/2016/la...-rejects-condo

bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #69
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
I would guess they are referring to the unions here being against them, like when a prefab was proposed in Westie and that the zoning board nixed it with support from the Carpenter's union.

I'm not sure that's exactly what happened there. My recollection from the time was that NIMBYs didn't want higher density structures of any kind at that location. There is at least one modular building in West Roxbury that had no approval issues.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2866...2!8i6656?hl=en
Old 05-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #70
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I'm not sure that's exactly what happened there. My recollection from the time was that NIMBYs didn't want higher density structures of any kind at that location. There is at least one modular building in West Roxbury that had no approval issues.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2866...2!8i6656?hl=en
I definitely think that is part of it, but, it was shot down by board and had a specific comment from the head of the carpenter's union (who is on the board) about not wanting to take away jobs. As for the building you linked - the owner of Lord's and Lady's next door was the one to build it, and I am fairly certain he has a bit of clout in the neighborhood. I was unaware it was pre-fab, though.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #71
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
I was unaware it was pre-fab, though.
The first floor isn't, but then they brought in sections by truck to stack on top of it. I only know this because I usually pass through there a few times a week, so I saw it going up. Pretty impressive how quickly they were able to build using that technique, and overall, it doesn't look any better/worse than most of the other newish 20-40 unit buildings going up elsewhere in Boston. It definitely could be an element of how we might build quickly. At a guess, though, many of our lots are not shaped quite the right way for pre-fabrication. This location was unique in that it could take a standard footprint and there was plenty of space along side for staging.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #72
34f34f

Here's an article on modular housing in the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/b...r-housing.html

Interesting take on the labor side of things:

Quote:
Jay Bradshaw, director of organizing for the carpenters’ council representing Factory OS workers, said that would be impractical. Think back to that first station, where four people worked above and below the floor. In Mr. Mazzola’s world, a plumbers’ union would represent the workers installing pipes, while other unions would represent the workers up top.

“It would never work to have upward of 10 or 15 labor organizations at a single employer in a factory setting,” Mr. Bradshaw said.

For Mr. Bradshaw, the real fight isn’t defending job titles but making sure construction workers remain part of a union at all. A short drive from Factory OS, at a carpenters’ training center, the union is developing a program to train housing-factory workers — something that, it hopes, will prepare more people for an industry that it has come to see as inevitable.

“It sure blows the hell out of building in China,” he said.
34f34f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #73
odurandina

Globe; Amid housing crunch, Bostonians seeking affordable apartments face delays, bureaucracy....

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...03O/story.html
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote