archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #81
markhb

Re: Jetport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portlander View Post
^ A renovation project to improve the lower level prior to baggage claim will remove the current escalator and add a new one further west to shorten the route from the upper concourse. Sorry, people mover not in any future improvement budgets : )
Well, if not having a people mover gets us closer to a real ICE port of entry facility, I'll surrender .
Old 04-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #82
Portlander

Cosakita, don't forget JetBlue's E190 and Delta's MD 88/90 mainline aircraft. Where did you find the CY 2017 emplacements for PWM and MHT? The FAA normally doesn't release the official numbers until October of the following year.

Last edited by Portlander; 04-15-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #83
Portlander

Frontier Airlines is implementing new service (November) to Tampa and Fort Myers from Portland in addition to Orlando which began last week. American is also adding a third daily flight to Charlotte.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #84
TC_zoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosakita18 View Post
It looks like PWM already snubbed Manchester as the 4th busiest in New England, with 1.8 million passengers in 2017, compared to 1.63 million for MHT

The primary reason Manchester had more passengers was because of discount carrier, Southwest (before it was in Portland). It was such an irritant using that airport if living in the Portland area because of the lack of bus and other travel options. Soon Portland will double the passenger count of Manchester. 37 million people visited Maine last year and the number will continue to climb. Also, now that airfares in Logan have gone down a bit, less incentive for people in southern New Hampshire to use Manchester. And Manchester only an hour's drive from Boston. Why use Manchester when you have more options in Boston?
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #85
CSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_zoid View Post
Why use Manchester when you have more options in Boston?
Well...to be a little pedantic, at the end of the day people only need one flight from among all the options available to them, and in some cases that 'best option' flight will leave from manchester.
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #86
TC_zoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
Well...to be a little pedantic, at the end of the day people only need one flight from among all the options available to them, and in some cases that 'best option' flight will leave from manchester.
And if that one flight is cancelled, or you miss it, the options pale in comparison to what Boston has.
TC_zoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:32 AM   #87
markhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_zoid View Post
And if that one flight is cancelled, or you miss it, the options pale in comparison to what Boston has.
As a Portlander, I'll take that risk and fly out of PWM if the price difference is reasonable, as a key point to me is not having that 2-hour ride home (from ether MHT, which I've never flown out of, or BOS) when I return.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #88
Portlander

I don't know of anyone that flies out of MHT from the Portland area anymore, the leakage has long stopped. There was a period when Southwest was still direct to Phoenix and Las Vegas (maybe Houston?) where it may have made sense if that was your final destination. There are more airlines, more destinations and more mainline aircraft out of PWM. And i agree with markhb, that 2 hour journey from Boston or Manchester on your return home is painful! That said, the airline business is can be unpredictable and bragging rights can change quickly if PWM were to lose an airline and MHT were to gain one.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #89
mainejeff

PWM losing Jet Blue year round service. Ugh.

Looks like I will be flying out of Boston now.
mainejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #90
Portlander

They will still serve Portland from Memorial through Labor Day so it's not a total loss. Delta will probably pick up the slack to JFK and Frontier has also added more service to Florida destinations which is where most JetBlue passengers travel to out of PWM. Would be more concerned if they were totally abandoning Maine and this allows them to restore year round service in the future if desired.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 AM   #91
mainejeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portlander View Post
They will still serve Portland from Memorial through Labor Day so it's not a total loss. Delta will probably pick up the slack to JFK and Frontier has also added more service to Florida destinations which is where most JetBlue passengers travel to out of PWM. Would be more concerned if they were totally abandoning Maine and this allows them to restore year round service in the future if desired.
This is still troublesome. Frontier is no jet Blue....neither is Delta for that matter. I'd argue that this hurts Mainers more than tourists. More Mainers fly out of Maine from Labor Day to Memorial Day.

Burlington was not touched and still has a bunch of daily Jet Blue flights. I think that this is a shortsighted move by Jet Blue considering what is happening in Portland....pop growth, business growth and year round tourism growth.
mainejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #92
Dr. StrangeHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
Burlington was not touched and still has a bunch of daily Jet Blue flights. I think that this is a shortsighted move by Jet Blue considering what is happening in Portland....pop growth, business growth and year round tourism growth.
This probably has more to do with competition, from both airlines and other airports, than anything.

Airlines Serving Burlington:
American
Delta
Frontier
JetBlue
United

Airlines Serving Portland:
American
Delta
Elite
Frontier
JetBlue
Southwest
United

Distance to Next Major Airport from Burlington:
Montreal = 104 miles (plus a border crossing)
Manchester = 171 miles
Boston = 218 miles

Distance to Next Major Airport from Portland:
Manchester = 95 miles
Boston = 105 miles
TF Green = 168 miles
Dr. StrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #93
Portlander

Nice research Dr. Strangehat. JetBlue operates 3 daily flights out of BTV to JFK, which is one less than Portland. JetBlue has decided to put more emphasis into Boston as a focus city which has impacted PWM and PVD and has prevented new service into MHT. PWM can be impacted by decisions in BOS where Burlington is kind of in it's own orbit similar to Bangor.

Burlington is more connected to Montreal as the good Dr. pointed out. It is actually dealing with local competition from Plattsburgh, NY which has landed Spirit Airlines and recently completed a major expansion of it's terminal. The airline business is cutthroat and based on profit and available aircraft and very few airports are totally immune to constant changing market needs.

PWM should continue to grow despite the recent JetBlue announcement primarily due to the positive points that mainejeff brought up. The Jetport has moved past Manchester in enplanements and is now the 4th busiest airport in New England after BOS, BDL and PVD.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #94
Portlander

Renovations (terrazzo flooring, signage, carpet, etc) to the Gate 1 through 6 portion of the concourse begins on December 3rd. This includes removing the current escalators and adding new ones further west in order to open up the area and improve the flow to baggage claim. A new glass elevator will be added along with new restrooms in the gate section.

A large crane will be installed inside the terminal to accomplish this project and the completion date is planned for April. Passengers will be inconvenienced for a period by having to walk outside in order to access baggage claim. The goal is to match the older part of the concourse with the newer and give Gates 1-6 a more modern appearance.