archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #141
found5dollar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 964
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Insomnia last night had me realizing I have never seen a full map of all of the air rights parcels drawn out. After a bit of sleuthing I found this 2000 document from when they drewout all of the parecls and numbered them. the first full map denoting each parcel is on pg 14 followed by breakdowns of each section starting on pg 23.

I figured some others on this form would be interested in this.

http://www.nabbonline.com/files/Turn...vic_Vision.pdf
found5dollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #142
617
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 860
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by found5dollar View Post
Insomnia last night had me realizing I have never seen a full map of all of the air rights parcels drawn out. After a bit of sleuthing I found this 2000 document from when they drewout all of the parecls and numbered them. the first full map denoting each parcel is on pg 14 followed by breakdowns of each section starting on pg 23.

I figured some others on this form would be interested in this.

http://www.nabbonline.com/files/Turn...vic_Vision.pdf
Very cool hope I live to see it...(im 35)
617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #143
TomOfBoston
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 775
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617 View Post
Very cool hope I live to see it...(im 35)
I'm 67 and I'm still waiting for the Blue Line extension to Lynn that was proposed in the 1960's! I don't think I'll make it.
TomOfBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #144
Boston02124
Senior Member
 
Boston02124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dorchester/Boston
Posts: 5,901
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

I have that book
Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #145
elemenoh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 250
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Lol. I went to a lot of the meetings that resulted in that lovely PDF. Nice ideas, but unlikely to be very relevant with the current mayor and the BPDA. I'm sure they'd want to do a new study rather than follow a 20-year-old report.

It's a lot like the Seaport Public Realm Plan (a contemporary to the pike report), which had no teeth and therefore we are not getting built what was planned.

When they don't make these plans part of the zoning for the city, they're just a lot of meetings resulting in nice ideas that go nowhere.
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #146
awood91
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 233
Send a message via AIM to awood91
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoh View Post
Lol. I went to a lot of the meetings that resulted in that lovely PDF. Nice ideas, but unlikely to be very relevant with the current mayor and the BPDA. I'm sure they'd want to do a new study rather than follow a 20-year-old report.

It's a lot like the Seaport Public Realm Plan (a contemporary to the pike report), which had no teeth and therefore we are not getting built what was planned.

When they don't make these plans part of the zoning for the city, they're just a lot of meetings resulting in nice ideas that go nowhere.
Right, it's actual rezoning processes that matter.
awood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #147
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,591
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

i must remain reluctantly optimistic. They upzoned the Harbor Garage, Garden Garage and possibly the Pierce? Three..... nevermind: last night i arrived on a flight to San Franciso; we are terrible.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #148
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,435
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
I'm 67 and I'm still waiting for the Blue Line extension to Lynn that was proposed in the 1960's! I don't think I'll make it.
I have more faith in the private sector than I do with public sector transit projects. If Boston real estate continues growing like it has, i'd be surprised if pike air rights parcels aren't built on.

Other than pike air rights, there's also the possibility of air rights over North Station tracks.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #149
HelloBostonHi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 246
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by found5dollar View Post
Quote:
The large gaps in the Back Bay grid at the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Boylston Street make travelling along these streets very unpleasant. An unsightly bus shelter at the 400- foot gap along Massachusetts Avenue provides inadequate protection from wind, noise, and exhaust fumes. Boylston Street, with a mix of large- and small-scale buildings, is the commercial spine of the Back Bay. The gap created by the Prudential Center, the Hynes Convention Center, and the Turnpike has created a long inactive zone along the streets and has isolated the block of small commercial stores west of Massachusetts Avenue.
Even early 2000s Boston knew how miserable it was.
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #150
type001
Senior Member
 
type001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Winchester
Posts: 1,513
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
I'm 67 and I'm still waiting for the Blue Line extension to Lynn that was proposed in the 1960's! I don't think I'll make it.
Such a shame that they never extended it to Lynn. It just makes so much sense, especially back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
we are terrible.
Just you.
type001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #151
found5dollar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 964
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoh View Post
Lol. I went to a lot of the meetings that resulted in that lovely PDF. Nice ideas, but unlikely to be very relevant with the current mayor and the BPDA. I'm sure they'd want to do a new study rather than follow a 20-year-old report.

It's a lot like the Seaport Public Realm Plan (a contemporary to the pike report), which had no teeth and therefore we are not getting built what was planned.

When they don't make these plans part of the zoning for the city, they're just a lot of meetings resulting in nice ideas that go nowhere.
The one concrete thing that did come out of this process was dividing the air rights into parcels. Those numbers are still used today and are what I was interested in.
found5dollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #152
ccole
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 21
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

DPIR: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...b-b62c421175df

Up for review with the BCDC next Tuesday, May 14th.
ccole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #153
theSil
Member
 
theSil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 67
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

BCDC Presentation: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...9-82d0b6351fcd

I canít detect any differences other than the extremely subtle change to the massing.
theSil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #154
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,936
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSil View Post
BCDC Presentation: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...9-82d0b6351fcd

I canít detect any differences other than the extremely subtle change to the massing.
Compare slides 10 and 18 of that presentation. Yes, there have been some slight changes to the massings, but also:
  • The color is gone from both towers(!)
  • The "flying buttress"-like stilts under the plaza are gone and replaced with generic horizontal trusses
  • The undulating "wave" form of the plaza over the pike is diminished

Here were my first two reactions when this design was released a few months ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Absolutely. I love the prominent stilts. I love the color.
Also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Along with the undulating glass on the plaza, this creates an almost "city gate" like those of yore. It'd be easy to put a building here that just "backs up" to the highway; this design does not do that.
Other than the plaza itself, they've removed the project's best design elements.

At first I thought the new white buildings were just massing models, but no, they're full renders. The updates are just the original design, stripped of color and personality. Who on earth would think this is better?

Ugh.

Last edited by JumboBuc; 06-14-2019 at 10:12 AM.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #155
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,087
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Oh geez, did they really remove the colors? The bold coloring was the best part!
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #156
stick n move
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorchester
Posts: 5,681
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

The pike entrance is changed but definitely isnt value engineered. Look at the terraced landscaping on the right with the red brick background color and diagonal wood cross bracing then that flowing landscaping on the left. Those other columns were never going to stay they were decorative.



stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #157
JSic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 606
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

The green is gone?!? This project went from awesome to slightly above mediocre.
JSic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #158
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,591
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

God, that update is terrible. The green was epic.
Nimby Tom Menino would have been all over this.
i'm wondering if Boston has the best BCDC it can have.
659' to 496' at Hub on Causeway LOSE
750' to 601' at GCG LOSE
Winthrop Square Twin Towers WIN
31' off the East Tower at Winthrop Square. LOSE
627' down to 544' (83' shaved off) at 1000 Boylston LOSE
91' off both Tremont Crossing, leaving the City w/ 2 turds LOSE
BU Computer Science Bldg LOSE
Kenmore North LOSE
Dock Square LOSE
Losing the Green trim off these LOSE
oh, and just once i want the BCDC to ask a developer
Ladies and gentlemen, CAN YOU PLEASE BUILD THAT TALLER?
on another topic, what is the time table on the VIOLA?

Last edited by odurandina; 06-14-2019 at 11:23 AM.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #159
BosDevelop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,172
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Those buildings are awesome..... when used in SimCity circa 1991.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #160
KentXie
Senior Member
 
KentXie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Brighton
Posts: 3,823
Re: Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
God, that update is terrible. The green was epic.
Nimby Tom Menino would have been all over this.
i'm wondering if Boston has the best BCDC it can have.
659' to 496' at Hub on Causeway LOSE
750' to 601' at GCG LOSE
Winthrop Square Twin Towers WIN
31' off the East Tower at Winthrop Square. LOSE
627' down to 544' (83' shaved off) at 1000 Boylston LOSE
91' off both Tremont Crossing, leaving the City w/ 2 turds LOSE
BU Computer Science Bldg LOSE
Kenmore North LOSE
Dock Square LOSE
Losing the Green trim off these LOSE
oh, and just once i want the BCDC to ask a developer
Ladies and gentlemen, CAN YOU PLEASE BUILD THAT TALLER?
on another topic, what is the time table on the VIOLA?
I need some cheese with this...
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1000 Boylston Street | MassDOT Parcel 15 | Back Bay Justin7 Development Projects 75 Yesterday 10:08 AM
Shreve, Crump & Low Redevelopment | 334-364 Boylston Street | Back Bay statler Development Projects 766 02-09-2019 12:01 PM
Public Alley 444 | 939 Boylston Street | Back Bay Hutchison Development Projects 17 09-03-2018 09:51 AM
Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay Rick Development Projects 1176 06-24-2018 12:22 PM
Star Market (former Gulf) parcel | 1380-1420 Boylston Street | Fenway dshoost88 Development Projects 28 03-19-2017 09:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.