archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #61
F-Line to Dudley

Re: North Station, Charles River Draw, & Tower A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Refresh my memory: was Spaulding built on a ground lease? (hard to believe anybody'd have sold it fee simple)

If NO, what are MassDOT's plans for eminent domain?

If YES, how many years before the land reverts to the B&M (and who is the B&M's successor as owner of the underlying land?)

Spaulding pre-dates New Garden by a couple years. As for land-taking, that's complicated because Jerry Jacobs has his finger in the proceedings too. The T is successor to all B&M properties per the 1976 bankruptcy asset sale, so I don't think Pan Am inherited anything at NS-proper as that would've been divested (save for any term-of-contract expirations they wouldn't be touching in any way) well before they acquired B&M.

All I've been able to glean is that the Spaulding landlords are only renting to transient tenants because they expect to be razed in the next decade. Hence MGH just stuffing it full of non-patient admin overflow at pennies-on-dollar shortie lease.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #62
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
Spaulding pre-dates New Garden by a couple years. As for land-taking, that's complicated because Jerry Jacobs has his finger in the proceedings too. The T is successor to all B&M properties per the 1976 bankruptcy asset sale, so I don't think Pan Am inherited anything at NS-proper as that would've been divested (save for any term-of-contract expirations they wouldn't be touching in any way) well before they acquired B&M.

All I've been able to glean is that the Spaulding landlords are only renting to transient tenants because they expect to be razed in the next decade. Hence MGH just stuffing it full of non-patient admin overflow at pennies-on-dollar shortie lease.
The Boston Parcel Map says the property is owned by "The General Hospital Corp", which I assume is a function of MGH.
Equilibria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #63
F-Line to Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
The Boston Parcel Map says the property is owned by "The General Hospital Corp", which I assume is a function of MGH.

Umbrella co. for all MGH holdings.

Probably doesn't say much about the easement situation here because building vs. land it sits on likely have very divergent paper trails.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #64
Roxxma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
If its tenancy is the result of a long term lease and recorded at the Registry of Deeds, the City will usually list the lessee as the owner.
Roxxma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #65
BostonUrbEx

I highly doubt the B&M or any successor would be the land owner, anyway. The property was shed when the railroad was flailing to escape bankruptcy and rid itself of as much property taxes as possible.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #66
BostonUrbEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
The T still needs to pick itself up off the procurement floor and order another 125+ bi-levels to replace the rapidly aging 29-32 year old Bombardier fleet of flats
The T is planning on ordering more flats for the next order. Their reasoning is that it is better for ADA mobility throughout the train, particularly in an emergency. The benefit that they haven't even considered is that flats have better dwell times.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #67
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonUrbEx View Post
I highly doubt the B&M or any successor would be the land owner, anyway. The property was shed when the railroad was flailing to escape bankruptcy and rid itself of as much property taxes as possible.
My hope was that the MBTA would (already) be the B&M's successor by virtue of having bought so much of the B&M's "under the rails" real estate.