archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #21
ryblogs

Re: Briv

"criminal neglect"? Give me a break. The guy just has other things going on in his life. Unfortunate? Of course. Frustrating? Extremely so. But people change.

Anyways , hope we can work together and renew this community with new admin. Happy to help in any way I can. I don't have Facebook so I can't participate in the offline conversation unfortunately
ryblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #22
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
From the Facebook group there may be people skilled enough to migrate the posts to a new platform.
Without admin access to this forum?
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
Justin7

Re: Outage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchburgLine View Post
Great! However, we discussed in the group that any new group must have multiple admins, to avoid the risk of another briv scenario. Would that be something youd be willing to accommodate?
Yes, of course.

I have forum up using NodeBB now over at https://forum.archboston.net

Note: I have no nodebb experience but everything I've read seems to suggest it is "THE FUTURE" so I figure it is worth a shot. (Also gave me an excuse to devote some time to the forum as I need to get familiar with node.js)

Anyway, it's raw and definitely only suited for testing right now, but I am out of time for now. If anyone wants to register and play around you are welcome.

If we need to start fresh it may also be a good idea to discuss category organization.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Old 07-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #24
odurandina

Every effort must be made that the aB archive will live on....

i'll happily pay yearly dues. Something between $30-50 seems fair.

Hopefully that'll cover our (award-worthy) photo contributors like Beeline, Boston02124, Golden Retrievers, DZ that they be awarded as (gratis) lifetime members.

It's the least i can do.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #25
kz1000ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryblogs View Post
"criminal neglect"? Give me a break. The guy just has other things going on in his life. Unfortunate? Of course. Frustrating? Extremely so. But people change.
Like I said, "excuse the hysterics"

But in all seriousness, the fact that he's had multiple opportunities to pass the admin banner to someone else and hasn't really leaves me wondering. Signs of him neglecting this place were obvious by 2013 when he never set up a "Best of 2013" voting sub-forum, and to this day we haven't had a proper poll since 2012.

My point is that given how much sheer time he's had to shift duties and hasn't is just... weird. And I say all this having met the guy--hung out and drank beers at a backyard summer party in Allston 10 years ago--and having gotten to know him as a three-dimensional human being.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #26
DominusNovus

Im a fan of XenForo.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #27
KriterionBOS

I finally got approved for posting...so whoever pushed it through, THANKS!
KriterionBOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #28
brucepf

This might be a dumb question, not sure how these sites function. Why was site down and how did it get back up(and for how long)?
brucepf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #29
bakgwailo

Maybe we can scrape all the old post data here and import it into the a new forum? If someone had admin/server access it would probably be trivial.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #30
DrFreewind

someone has also started a subreddit (if you dont have/like facebook) as a backup to communicate a new site in case this one goes down again www.reddit.com/r/ArchBOSTON
DrFreewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #31
whittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Maybe we can scrape all the old post data here and import it into the a new forum? If someone had admin/server access it would probably be trivial.
If someone had admin access, we wouldn't need to move.
whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #32
stellarfun

The site was never completely down. I could access and read the five 'Boston' forums, but the others were not visible. The site recognized my sigh-in name. I did not try posting, though I thought others may have successfully posted.

The issue seemed to have been server-related, as if the server lost the path to certain parts of the forum database.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #33
Justin7

Can we merge this with the outage thread and title it something that makes it clear we are discussing the future of aB and what to do?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:00 AM   #34
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominusNovus View Post
Im a fan of XenForo.
This is absolutely the go-to platform these days.

Forums as a concept are mostly dead, so there's limited choice in software that is updated and fits modern needs (ie, mobile friendly)
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:28 AM   #35
Justin7

XenForo is essentially an up-to-date vbulletin. Same devs and all. My first impressions of nodeBB are good. Fast / updates in real time / easy to customize the look. If you're curious: https://forum.archboston.net
Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #36
Blackdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Yes, of course.

I have forum up using NodeBB now over at https://forum.archboston.net

Note: I have no nodebb experience but everything I've read seems to suggest it is "THE FUTURE" so I figure it is worth a shot. (Also gave me an excuse to devote some time to the forum as I need to get familiar with node.js)

Anyway, it's raw and definitely only suited for testing right now, but I am out of time for now. If anyone wants to register and play around you are welcome.

If we need to start fresh it may also be a good idea to discuss category organization.
Thanks for taking the initiative, I was actually thinking about starting one up myself but I was busy this weekend getting a new car.

Let me know if you need any help with forum, I went to college for computer science and currently working in that field right now. I signed up to your forum under the name 'Blackdog'
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #37
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
XenForo is essentially an up-to-date vbulletin. Same devs and all. My first impressions of nodeBB are good. Fast / updates in real time / easy to customize the look. If you're curious: https://forum.archboston.net
Thanks for doing this. I see that it has a vote up down function, similar to Reddit. I wonder if this would be helpful as sort of a community monitor, maybe hiding posts with -5 or below or something along those lines. Could prevent some of the complaints we've had on this site about poor discourse from the height fetishists or the random political points that come up.

I wish Briv would pitch in on this or relinquish control. The archboston.com site has a strong community, I worry about loosing some of that under a different domain until everyone migrates over.

Last edited by tysmith95; 07-23-2018 at 04:26 PM.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #38
TomOfBoston

Did anyone ever volunteer to briv to become co-administrator? Or was everyone just satisfied to let the forum diminish?
TomOfBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #39
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
Did anyone ever volunteer to briv to become co-administrator? Or was everyone just satisfied to let the forum diminish?
We did make a thread about Briv and how he should add another admin last year, but he never responded. There were a couple of people willing to take over admin privileges. I'd be willing to do it, although admittedly I don't have much site hosting experience.

I'd rather see Archboston.org (or archboston.com) survive. However Briv has been slow to communicate or hand over privileges.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #40
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
Plenty of times.