archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #41
Justin7

Re: Briv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
He must still be caring enough to pay the hosting bills and what not, though.
Hosting is very cheap if you know what you're doing. And if this is on a multi-site plan with some other website(s) he has it is essentially free.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:15 AM   #42
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Hosting is very cheap if you know what you're doing. And if this is on a multi-site plan with some other website(s) he has it is essentially free.
Would be good to know for sure. Is there anyway to get his contact info from whoever hosts this site?
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #43
Justin7

I'm not going to post that here, but it is publicly available.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Old 04-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #44
BarbaricManchurian

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=archboston.org
BarbaricManchurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #45
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I'm not going to post that here, but it is publicly available.
Yeah, to be clear, this is only to help ensure the sites continuation and briv should be thanked for making this site happen. I didnít even know there was another site, but now that I think of it Iíve hadnít google retrieve AB results that were on pages with a different format, so maybe thatís what those were.

Anyway, maybe there could be a small group of people who are actually interested in helping to comanage the site (statler, van, data come to mind) who could try to get in touch some way offline about this.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #46
datadyne007

Įl_(ツ)_/Į
Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #47
meddlepal

For what it is worth this domain expires (archboston.org) 2018-06-10 and (archboston.com) on 2018-07-29. The loss of the domain is problematic for access, but this site is really the database behind it and we have no way to get that or easily restore it. Keep in mind this forum runs on a ten year old proprietary forum software (vBulletin)... migration to something else would be painful and tedious even if we had the data. I have no idea if vB 3.7.x can even be legally acquired at this point.

I have technical experience dealing with this kind of stuff so if someone wants to poke my brain feel free to ping.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #48
Justin7

^ Domains are most often auto-renewed on a yearly basis. It's certainly possible Briv chooses to stop renewing it, but I wouldn't read much into that date.

For what it's worth, I'd be willing to help migrate the forum to new software if Briv were willing to hand over backend access.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #49
BarbaricManchurian

I mean if it really comes to it, I have enough clout to get a dedicated Boston section set up on SkyscraperCity. I mean, only if there's enough demand for it, which will only happen if this site disappears.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:42 AM   #50
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
I mean if it really comes to it, I have enough clout to get a dedicated Boston section set up on SkyscraperCity. I mean, only if there's enough demand for it, which will only happen if this site disappears.
I always thought it was kind of odd that Boston (or at least New England) didn't have a dedicated section there , but Buffalo does.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #51
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
I always thought it was kind of odd that Boston (or at least New England) didn't have a dedicated section there , but Buffalo does.
It just goes to show how special of a place we've established here which makes it even that much more of a shame that it is being neglected at the top. As I've stated previously aB could be so much more with the proper user engagement and retention strategies. It could be a true resource for Boston development with better organization rather than a jumble of threads.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #52
BarbaricManchurian

Well it's based on the amount of user activity. A New Jersey section was set up a few years ago and the NYC section was massively expanded. The quality of discussion isn't much different either. The Seattle section is probably the closest to what we would want in terms of discussion level, very comprehensive section about basically everything and lots of discussion about the urban realm (as opposed to just projects in isolation). We set up a Green Bay section but recently folded it back into the general Midwest section and are holding off on a Detroit section until there's enough activity. So really, it's based on user demand. This site is great but the lack of approving new accounts is going to catch up to us sooner or later.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #53
itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
It just goes to show how special of a place we've established here
Agree. It makes me think of the old Wired New York architecture forum (thoughtful, interesting) vs. the current Skyscraperpage New York forum (fairly obtuse, priapic about skyscrapers, no matter their design or what they eliminate to get built), which is where most of WiredNY seems to have migrated to after WiredNY faded away for no real reason.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #54
KentXie

Let this forum die. The previous forum, skyscraperguy.com, died because the host went through a difficult period, the ads were rampant, and there were a couple of racist bigots posting on the site.

Archboston.org already suffers from two of the factors so maybe a complete purification is needed.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #55
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
Let this forum die. The previous forum, skyscraperguy.com, died because the host went through a difficult period, the ads were rampant, and there were a couple of racist bigots posting on the site.

Archboston.org already suffers from two of the factors so maybe a complete purification is needed.
The data & information here is too valuable to let die & move on. I truly see archBoston as a fantastic resource for people of all interests: spectators, enthusiasts, researchers & design professionals alike. The collective hive mind and deep range of information of Boston development on here is unlike anything else.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #56
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post

I can't really think of racist bigots on this site. Sure there are certain people, ones with a type of firearm at the beginning of their name, that repeat the same tired political arguments over and over again but there are also lots of great posters on this site. I love checking up on it to see BeeLines posts for example.

There's also the tired Boston needs to build TALL crowd, but again there is really only one poster who goes overboard with that.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #57
CBCArch61

While this site is good, there are others. I agree though that the information on this site is invaluable. For me personally it has been an amazing resource and connection to Boston developments.

UrbanPlanet is also a site that I have been following recently due to my relocation out of the New England area. There is a Boston section, but it has not been touched in quite some time (last post was in 2011).
CBCArch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #58
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
The data & information here is too valuable to let die & move on. I truly see archBoston as a fantastic resource for people of all interests: spectators, enthusiasts, researchers & design professionals alike. The collective hive mind and deep range of information of Boston development on here is unlike anything else.
Agreed. I "went to school" on this forum and its predecessors, rolling back to the late 90s. Before I got publicly involved in matters of preservation and policy, I lurked; if someone mentioned a book I hadn't read, I sought it out. I'm a better advocate for the built environment for the time I've spent here, and I'm grateful to have the space to connect with the like minded, and pick at issues big and small.

On a personal note, I've had the chance to meet Briv on a few occasions; he's a person of deep thought and good humor. I wish him well in meeting all of life's challenges.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #59
Justin7

If this forum ever does actually vanish I should be able to throw something up at archboston.NET within a week or so.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #60
KentXie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I can't really think of racist bigots on this site. Sure there are certain people, ones with a type of firearm at the beginning of their name, that repeat the same tired political arguments over and over again but there are also lots of great posters on this site. I love checking up on it to see BeeLines posts for example.

There's also the tired Boston needs to build TALL crowd, but again there is really only one poster who goes overboard with that.
Sorry let me clarify. The original forum had racist bigots. This one, we have general bigotry (homophobic, transphobic, etc)
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote