archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #41
FK4

Re: Archboston revamp

I wouldn't get cynical yet. The preference on most people's part was always to stay. So... Certainly frustrating, but not unfixable.

Last edited by FK4; 06-05-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #42
datadyne007

I know I said we've all seen and heard this before, but in the spirit of objectivity, I'm giving this a week before I wade further into this stay/go decision. If major changes are on the way "in the coming days," that signals to me we should have at least an outline of the proposed changes within a week.

Last edited by datadyne007; 06-06-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #43
FK4

Thanks data. Perhaps Iím giving into a little hysteria of my own making. Sounds reasonable.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #44
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
nobody is leaving the site that he created.
Tell me about it - even people who were explicitly banned don't seem to leave
Old 06-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #45
tysmith95

Looks like Briv changed his name to archBOSTON.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #46
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
I do not post much, mostly due to the responses I see which are pretty harsh towards each other a lot of the time...
I take no pleasure in reading posts like this because they're emblematic of two different but interrelated obstacles to valuable discourse on aB:
  1. Hearing new voices and ideas to broaden a conversation;
  2. Fostering a culture that can welcome new voices (i.e.writers, academics, filmmakers, activists, non-profit leaders, and public officials)

I think there's a growing need to elevate our discourse and further broaden the conversation, while retaining aB "lifers." As some suggested a decade ago, we can really get something done for the quality of Greater Boston's built environment, for historic preservation, and to get "civilians" excited about at least some of what we talk about here. Enhancing the potential impact of our collective knowledge is something I think we should always be talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
...(I)n the spirit of objectivity, I'm giving this week before I wade further into this stay/go decision. If major changes are on the way "in the coming days," that signals to me we should have at least an outline of the proposed changes within a week.
Evolution takes time. Clearly, there are some frustrated voices among us. There are also some individuals who want to help move things forward with technical knowledge and skills, or "tone-setting" in the different pillars of the forum. From my participation in these discussions, I can say this is more about sharing the burden of responsibility with briv & statler, giving them both time back to live their "real lives," and not some sort of hostile takeover.

(To those who have suggested otherwise, you do understand this is an internet discussion group, not a multinational corporation, organized crime family, or nation-state, right?)

briv & statler -- how can we help? Hollah!

~ Justin7
Old 06-07-2019, 03:49 AM   #47
meddlepal

I've finished a preliminary version of the forum scraper if we need to go that route. There's a few kinks to work out but it can properly traverse all forums, threads, and posts over many pages.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #48
ulrichomega

Is it possible to import it into a new forum? Or will we have a static page for old archives versus a new, active forum?
Old 06-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #49
SkyriseCities
Administrator

Time for this thread to close.

Please check this thread.

http://www.archboston.org/community/...ead.php?t=5824
Closed Thread