archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #141
tmac9wr

Re: Canvas - Mixed Use Tower (old Felt location) | 533 Washington St | Downtown Cross

Oh those comments are so good. So so so so good. My favorite part is that whenever there is a pro-development commenter, people accuse them of being a spy for a developer, or on the take somehow.

Are any of you guys Tosh33? He's very, very popular on that site.
tmac9wr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #142
Lrfox

Re: Canvas - Mixed Use Tower (old Felt location) | 533 Washington St | Downtown Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Oh those comments are so good. So so so so good. My favorite part is that whenever there is a pro-development commenter, people accuse them of being a spy for a developer, or on the take somehow.

Are any of you guys Tosh33? He's very, very popular on that site.
He's posted here before. I forget whether he used a different name or what, but someone has acknowledged on AB that they are Tosh33.

*edit*
It's Odurandina.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #143
tmac9wr

^^ Thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #144
odurandina

i took a good whooping yesterday from the Globe nimby/s. i responded to one of my critics with an editorial on new story comparing Boston to San Francisco which is often done ad nauseum on City Data;

i used part from an old edit from last winter... scribbling it as quickly as i could before i clean up and head over to City Hall.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20....html#comments

Oh, and check out this fine post from 'Parks Lover...' i brought up Bill McCabe because he's the most solid, visionary, absolutely incredible human being i've ever known (i'm understating). Nice response i got.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...NUL/story.html
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #145
tmac9wr

Yea, ParksLover appears to be one of the main harassers on that site. Funny that he called you a "geezer with foggy thinking"...geezers usually aren't too pro-development as far as I know.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #146
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by underground View Post
And yet they manage to write in complete sentences with proper grammar, punctuation, and formatting. Try using a period.
Underground -- Didn't anyone learn you not to start a sentence with AND

OK -- Let's get back to discussing: the building; the DTX; the suroundings; its impact on shaddows; its impact on NIMBY's; etc. -- We can then relegate the comments about the skill or lack there-of in communicating via the written word to some other place.
whighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #147
DBM

I cannot find this proposal anymore on the BPDA developments page for downtown but of course welcome anyone else to try to hopefully prove me wrong:

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/...=dev&viewall=1

Poor proposal... it wasn't even able to make it to the two-year mark before (apparently?) dying the proverbial quiet unremarked death in the corner of the misguided development proposals room.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 AM   #148
odurandina

this pdf is still up.... http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...2-94f48ff31ef2

why is it a bad proposal? ...it's not a shadow maker (thanks to Tremont on the Common). in an election year it may get put aside for a minute, then reappear.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #149
DBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
this pdf is still up.... http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...2-94f48ff31ef2

why is it a bad proposal? ...it's not a shadow maker (thanks to Tremont on the Common). in an election year it may get put aside for a minute, then reappear.
No bad per se, just terribly impractical in the face of the abutting theaters' extreme angst re: how it would disrupt their logistics. I just don't see how the developer can solve those issues...
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 PM   #150
BeeLine

According to the bldup website permits have been pulled to remodel and add a floor to the existing building. No more 30 story tower.

http://www.bldup.com/projects/533-washington-st

533-washington-street-holdings
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #151
jpdivola

jpdivola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #152
JumboBuc

I consider this a win.

The "pencil tower" here was never going to happen. The existing building is a quality one, it just needs a little TLC; a renovation and one floor addition will be just that. The ground floor restaurant and upstairs co-working space will be a great use for this site and this building.

I'd much rather see tenants move in and the space be activated than watch such a prime location sit vacant in development hell for years.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #153
odurandina

So sad.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:42 AM   #154
meddlepal

Quote:
So sad.
So sad we're keeping a pleasant and interesting facade, reactivating a portion of the street and not building a glass and steel monument to the rich with a private lobby nobody is allowed to use and is dead most of the day.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #155
type001

Can you specify where you read that 171 Tremont is no longer happening? Is this one in the same?
type001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #156
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by type001 View Post
Can you specify where you read that 171 Tremont is no longer happening? Is this one in the same?
Not the same. This building is on Washington Street among the theatres.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #157
DZH22

Re: Mixed Use Tower (former Felt location) | 533 Washington St | Downtown Crossing

A reminder of what bit the dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #158
dshoost88

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post
So sad we're keeping a pleasant and interesting facade, reactivating a portion of the street and not building a glass and steel monument to the rich with a private lobby nobody is allowed to use and is dead most of the day.
IIRC, developer not only wanted to preserve the existing Felt facade, but also wanted to include a 2-story restaurant, 2-3 additional floors of innovation office space, and then the residential tower... + 0 parking.

It was an excellent, ambitious proposal, particularly of note because the developer is only 28 years old. I was inspired, anyway.
dshoost88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #159
dwash59

Eh, other projects by Rafi Properties have had good renderings and turned out not so great. See 124-126 Salem Street for instance. I'd rather a developer with a better track record and more experience.
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #160
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshoost88 View Post
IIRC, developer not only wanted to preserve the existing Felt facade, but also wanted to include a 2-story restaurant, 2-3 additional floors of innovation office space, and then the residential tower... + 0 parking.

It was an excellent, ambitious proposal, particularly of note because the developer is only 28 years old. I was inspired, anyway.
My constructive take:

Boston needs outsiders / creative / ambitious / think-outside-the-box developers to break the monotony of this city's insider's club development scene of the past...oh...century.

That said, this proposal probably was never going to fly. Yet I appreciated its attempt.

Take-away: I hope that Rafi Properties learns from this, builds more experience about the Boston scene, then proposes something even better somewhere else in this city. In a sense, I'm rooting for this developer to not leave, but to stay, and try to break in with a great project.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote