archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #21
Pierce

Re: Casey Overpass

I agree-- and it would help suppress the highway mentality of drivers on the Jamaicaway.
Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #22
Digital_Islandboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Why not an elevated green line extension on a modern concrete elevated rail bed over the streets?
Boston just spent millions getting rid of the last of its El at North Station. If they're going to put anything overhead it should be a monorail. Heavy/light rail's shadow area turns streets below it into perpetual night. Monorail would at least let light through but I doubt homes along South St. would want fast moving trains flying past their 3rd storey windows.

~D.I.
Digital_Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #23
gooseberry

You have to consider that people go this route because they are going to and from places where taking the T isn't really an option because of the amount of time it would take.
gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #24
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
You have to consider that people go this route because they are going to and from places where taking the T isn't really an option because of the amount of time it would take.
Yep, which is why I'm not sure the cars would simply go elsewhere. It is the only crosstown route connecting Dot/Mattapan/Rozzie/JP/Brookline. There is no alternative option for many of these trips.

Again, I'd like to see some real data, but my own perception is that the people who use the overpass our traveling within these communities, not heading downtown. The people who use the J-Way to get downtown are starting off on the west side of Forest Hills. People on the East side use Blue Hill/Columbus to get downtown.

As for the surface roads, as I've stated, they are already quite congested, primarily due to buses and trucks. If you extended the Orange Line, thereby getting rid of most of the buses, then the surface routes might be able to handle additional car traffic.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #25
statler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
If you extended the Orange Line, thereby getting rid of most of the buses, then the surface routes might be able to handle additional car traffic.
Oh look, a simple (albeit expensive) solution to the problem...
statler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #26
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
Oh look, a simple (albeit expensive) solution to the problem...
I bet it would cost less than a new bridge. The ROW is there, waiting to be used, and a 1 mile extension to Roslindale Square would be sufficient to eliminate the buses.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #27
belmont square

The problem with that idea is that less than 1/3 of the bus trips in and out of Forest Hills are heading south on Washington Street towards Roslindale. The majority of trips in and out of Forest Hills either cross under the overpass in both directions (37, 38, 39) or on their inbound trip (16, 21, 31) and Forest Hills seems like the logical terminus for most of these routes. And the 32 alone runs almost as many trips down Hyde Park Ave as all of the Roslindale routes combined and would likely continue to connect to Forest Hills.

So, a relatively small portion of the current bus traffic would be eliminated from the area, and the elimination of the overpass could have negative impacts on the performance of the routes that remain (among which are three of the T's busiest--31, 32, and 39).
belmont square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #28
Charlie_mta

Turn the existing Casey Overpass into an elevated park, similar to the High Line project in Manhatten. That would reconnect the Emerald Necklace.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #29
palindrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_mta View Post
Turn the existing Casey Overpass into an elevated park, similar to the High Line project in Manhatten. That would reconnect the Emerald Necklace.

i think its too beyond repair even for that.
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #30
Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_mta View Post
I think that's a really great idea, actually. Excellent skyline views, T access, and right between the Arboretum and Franklin Park. I honestly think this idea should be explored further.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #31
Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
i think its too beyond repair even for that.
Hmmmm.... This is a bridge near my hometown, a dilapidated, earth and concrete bridge that used to carry an interurban trolley line. It has been deteriorating and overgrown for at least the 33 years I have been around. And of course a haven for teenagers--the original High Line!

Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #32
Charlie_mta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Why not an elevated green line extension on a modern concrete elevated rail bed over the streets?
Centre Street is probably too narrow for a modern elevated rail line. Wide throroghfares, such as Commonwealth Ave in the BU area, would be suitable for a modern elevated of this type from Vancouver BC, which uses Blue Line size cars:

Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #33
Lurker

I was actually suggesting running the Green Line over the Arbor and J-Ways. Reducing the parkways from four lanes with an emphasis on maintaining the trees of course. A reasonably quiet and elegant elevated view of the Emerald Necklace would be quite lovely.

"And please, I wear my Harvard Yard shorts a seersucker with crimson whales when I ghost-ride the limozine with my mangy fat cats." -Kennedy

Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
F-Line to Dudley

http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2011/...rrows-choices/

Study team's narrowed the Casey replacement options to 2: low-profile overpass with no added frills, or at-grade intersection that prohibits lefts at the lights but incorporates U-turns right after the intersection to make all turns happen as rights (a la Park Drive @ Brookline Ave.). Overpass plan eliminates the multi-use path suggested on the now discarded more expensive plan because it's just too cost-prohibitive.

Given those conditions, I think at-grade's looking the better option if the surface ped crossings are still gonna be kind of mediocre with ramps or road. U'ies keep the roadway from having so many turn lanes it's too daunting to cross and parkways aren't supposed to be expressways with full-on interstate ramps in the first place. I think this could work if the U-turns are well designed.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #35
HenryAlan

MassDOT has decided in favor of an at grade solution:

http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2012/...treet-network/

I haven't been able to decide which option I preferred from the stand point of what's best for the most people. But I do prefer this option for my own personal needs.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #36
George_Apley

2013 to 2016?? Why on Earth does it take THREE YEARS to tear down a dilapidated bridge and widen an intersection??
George_Apley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #37
HenryAlan

I made the same comment at Universal Hub. It's astonishingly confounding. Also, like I said, the grade level solution is better for me personally, but I do have some reservations about it. Six lanes is too wide for New Washington St., and a "Copley Square" sized plaza is far too big for the entrance to Forest Hills Station. I'd like to see six replaced with four, and plaza replaced with "first phase of TOD project."
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #38
vanshnookenraggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I made the same comment at Universal Hub. It's astonishingly confounding. Also, like I said, the grade level solution is better for me personally, but I do have some reservations about it. Six lanes is too wide for New Washington St., and a "Copley Square" sized plaza is far too big for the entrance to Forest Hills Station. I'd like to see six replaced with four, and plaza replaced with "first phase of TOD project."
I think a TOD project will be more appealing after the overpass is removed.

The 6 laner could be OK if they add a wide landscaped median. This is the Arborway afterall.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #39
Lurker

Liz Malia is working overtime to to screw over her urban constituents in favor of suburban ones. Her and Capuano seem to be harboring a 1950s love affair with anti-urban highway infrastructure.

"And please, I wear my Harvard Yard shorts a seersucker with crimson whales when I ghost-ride the limozine with my mangy fat cats." -Kennedy

Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #40
HenryAlan

Globe story:

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/...e_alterna.html

Renderings:

http://app1.massdot.state.ma.us/Case...renderings.pdf