archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #3321
jass

Re: Biking in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
I'm sorry you feel the law and the official road marking guidelines don't make sense. Write your congressman. In the meantime, do you think you can dispense with the threadshit?
It's not the law. Hence the problem. It is engineer discretion.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #3322
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
It's not the law. Hence the problem. It is engineer discretion.
Right. Boston has both this and this.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #3323
cden4

I love the new separated bike lanes through the Casey Arborway project, but I think they really screwed up the transitions at the intersections. Instead of keeping peds and bikes separate with clear crossing points, they just kind of threw up their hands and put in these weird mixing zones. But they kept the ped and bike crossings separate as I would expect. It's just bizarre.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #3324
Randomgear

RE Casey mixing zones: MassDOT decided to meet partway between a protected intersection like arrangement (advocated by BCU) and the mixing zones as done in the remainder of the SWCP path. It's awkward, but by and large its setup to slow cyclists down where people on foot and bikes meet.
Randomgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #3325
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomgear View Post
RE Casey mixing zones: MassDOT decided to meet partway between a protected intersection like arrangement (advocated by BCU) and the mixing zones as done in the remainder of the SWCP path. It's awkward, but by and large its setup to slow cyclists down where people on foot and bikes meet.
The mixing zones along the SWC don't force pedestrians and cyclists to cross over each other's paths at every intersection. On the new Arborway, you have the bike lane along the roadway and then the sidewalk outside of that. At the intersections, they force the two routes to weave so that the pedestrian route is closest to the roadway and then on the other side they switch back. It's unclear why they decided to introduce additional conflict points. The shortest and most convenient route is for both pedestrians and cyclists to just go straight and use the wrong ramps and crossings and that's actually what they're doing.

https://goo.gl/maps/QSTPNDqCLJT2
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #3326
HenryAlan

Interesting -- I haven't ridden on the Morton St. section yet, so I can't really comment on the configuration there, but most of the sections I have ridden do have the pedestrian path between the street and the bike path. That is the configuration approaching the South/Washington/Arborway intersection, for example. And at all four corners everybody does just go straight without crossing anybody else's path (unless turning).
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #3327
Randomgear

Crossposted from the Development forum, Kenmore Square redesign.

http://www.bu.edu/today/2019/reimagi...enmore-square/

Big improvements with curb separated bike lanes on the west side of Kenmore Sq. while only done within the general area of the new development, it demonstrates how to fix the rest of the square to make biking safe, convenient and far less stressful than today.
Randomgear is offline   Reply With Quote