archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #121
Arlington

Re: Connected/Automated vehicles and infrastructure in Boston

In which we see AVs exploiting the mispricing of parking spaces:
Tesla Owner Uses 'Summon' to Remotely Move His Car to Avoid Parking Tickets
Old 12-04-2018, 08:58 AM   #122
Arlington

In which we see AVs exploiting the mispricing of rush hour roads:

Self driving mobile-billboard trucks will be an obvious early and widespread commercial application of autonomous vehicles, particularly in rush hours, when they can be seen by a maximum number of high-income people.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 AM   #123
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Self driving mobile-billboard trucks will be an obvious early and widespread commercial application of autonomous vehicles, particularly in rush hours, when they can be seen by a maximum number of high-income people.
Are mobile-billboards specially taxed in any way? If not, they should be. Or banned.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #124
bigpicture7

Really interesting inside look at Uber's attempt at self-driving cars (about to resume after taking a hiatus following the death of a pedestrian).

Anyone interested in this should read this - it is not confidence inspiring. It speaks both to total dysfunction within Uber, as well as to the technological challenges.

The engineer in me, though, can appreciate that it is possible to do a much better job with this than Uber has been.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-10-1027740254
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #125
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Really interesting inside look at Uber's attempt at self-driving cars (about to resume after taking a hiatus following the death of a pedestrian).

Anyone interested in this should read this - it is not confidence inspiring. It speaks both to total dysfunction within Uber, as well as to the technological challenges.

The engineer in me, though, can appreciate that it is possible to do a much better job with this than Uber has been.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-10-1027740254
Wow - that is completely terrifying. How have they not gotten in a lot more trouble, and why would they be allowed to get back into automated car testing on public roads.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 PM   #126
Arlington

I was at Assembly Square this week, which, between trader Joe's and Christmas Tree See was a zoo.

So of course the plan was that I would circle the block while my wife went in and shopped. I can only imagine that everyone will want to put their car into "circle the block" mode when there are no parking spots.

I will admit that my behavior was personally rational and value maximizing, but imposed high social costs (even worse traffic).

It is going to be a gridlock disaster unless we get both dynamic congestion pricing and parking pricing.