archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #1241
jl326

Re: What's Happening With Project X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
I actually agree with you Rifleman on the seaport, it is its own little rich white enclave over there. And honestly, its like fuck it I dont have to go over there if I dont want to. And fuck them they dont deserve heavy rail they wouldnt appreciate it anyway.

My biggest pet peeve is that I have to get off the silver line and walk across the street and down into south station to get over to the seaport. How difficult or costly could it possibly have been to have a portal to make it one singular journey? Doesnt seem impossible or really overly expensive to get that done. They did really cheap out on public transit over there and it is on the city and state. They dropped the ball BIG time
The transit problems in the Seaport are on the city and state as you say. I don't get the "fuck them" [those in the Seaport] part of your statement though. We're going through the same difficulties of going out and back in with all the congestion and there are vocal groups who attend public meetings to express the need for improvements. I can tell you that transit solutions are very important would be greatly appreciated by the stakeholders here.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #1242
KentXie

Honestly, with how wide the roads are in the Seaport, why hasn't anyone thought of putting surface level trolleys running through the area? I just came back from Melbourne and Sydney and they do an amazing job integrating trolleys with surface traffic and if there's one place to have them in Boston, it's the seaport since it's pretty gridded. Have them run from Aquarium and South Station. And yes I know the Silver Line runs from South Station but the Silver Line is a sorry excuse of a "public transit line"
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #1243
jklo

You do have the 7 bus which runs right down Summer. Given how wide it is, yeah, it might be tough to beat that with a trolley.

What the Seaport really needs is a subway tunnel, obviously that's not going to happen.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #1244
type001

I still fail to see why they can't run more Silverline buses and call it a day.
type001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #1245
DZH22

Obviously the solution is to just put up some giant nets and shoot people out of cannons to and from South Station. Very fast for the survivors, less traffic for everybody else. Problem solved.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #1246
jl326

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
Honestly, with how wide the roads are in the Seaport, why hasn't anyone thought of putting surface level trolleys running through the area? I just came back from Melbourne and Sydney and they do an amazing job integrating trolleys with surface traffic and if there's one place to have them in Boston, it's the seaport since it's pretty gridded. Have them run from Aquarium and South Station. And yes I know the Silver Line runs from South Station but the Silver Line is a sorry excuse of a "public transit line"
Unless you're talking about dedicated trolley lane which wouldn't integrate with surface traffic, I'm not sure what the benefit of that is over buses. Also, going from Aquarium to South Station would just be through Atlantic Ave, not the Seaport (assuming you meant the direct straight-shot route).
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #1247
KentXie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl326 View Post
Unless you're talking about dedicated trolley lane which wouldn't integrate with surface traffic, I'm not sure what the benefit of that is over buses. Also, going from Aquarium to South Station would just be through Atlantic Ave, not the Seaport (assuming you meant the direct straight-shot route).
Yes, dedicated trolley lanes. Melbourne has them running throughout downtown with car lanes restricted to one lane on each side. And no, I'm talking about a circuitous route, South Station to Seaport to Aquarium to South Station, running up and down Atlantic Ave, Summer St and Seaport Blvd. Given how wide Atlantic Ave is, you can also run the trolley all the way to North Station instead of Aquarium.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #1248
CSTH

If there's enough room for on street parking, there's enough room for a separated trolley ROW...
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #1249
Suffolk 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl326 View Post
The transit problems in the Seaport are on the city and state as you say. I don't get the "fuck them" [those in the Seaport] part of your statement though. We're going through the same difficulties of going out and back in with all the congestion and there are vocal groups who attend public meetings to express the need for improvements. I can tell you that transit solutions are very important would be greatly appreciated by the stakeholders here.
I was saying fuck them to the people who choose to live down there because people paying that much probably think the T is beneath them anyway. I do feel for the businesses and workers in the seaport but the businesses chose to be there.
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #1250
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by type001 View Post
I still fail to see why they can't run more Silverline buses and call it a day.
Not enough special dual mode busses available?
Old 12-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #1251
jl326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
I was saying fuck them to the people who choose to live down there because people paying that much probably think the T is beneath them anyway. I do feel for the businesses and workers in the seaport but the businesses chose to be there.
I donít think thatís quite accurate, but considering that stuff like THIS happens on the T (from yesterday), hard to blame Ďem.

Shitty people are making the T shitty in part by taking shits on the T.

Edit: I know this isnít really on topic, but too good to pass up.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #1252
TheRifleman

Solution for Traffic and affordable housing:

What if a developer along with the MBTA propose a Mega development condo/family complex located on a MBTA transit line in and around downtown Worcester that can get into Boston in 15-20 min direct shot. Rapid Transit

This would help build up Worcester as a community and possibly relieve traffic.
Instead of everybody building ontop of everything in and around Boston.

The development could be shaped like an Assembly row along with being in and close to Worcester downtown to help revitalize the area in a positive way.

Maybe even think of the concept for Springfield MA also.

Its just getting groups of people in and out of Boston efficiently. Then nobody would really care about living close to the city.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #1253
TheRifleman

Was on the Greenway last weekend and love the overall area but Harbor Garage and the entire Aquarium looks like Dog shit compared to the overall area.

Its a disgrace the groups that continue to fight the developer on changing this area for the better.

That part of the Greenway really SUCKS---
Also saw the Seals swimming in the Fiberglass window back and forth. Awesome for them.

The Aquarium either needs a major overhaul or needs to move from this prime property.
The Imax needs to be knocked down. The area is depressing--
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #1254
stick n move

286-290 tremont says start date dec 31. Any word?

stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #1255
statler

Does anyone know if the 2014 massive makeover plan for Quincy Market is dead or still in the planning process?

The Sephora building is obviously complete, but I haven't heard anything else about the plan to turn the Central Market into a bar/lounge.
statler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #1256
ngb_anim8

Whatever happened to the proposal for the corner of Atlantic Ave and Seaport Blvd? I thought that was shaping up as a good one, and on a lot that could really use some love.
ngb_anim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #1257
odurandina

edit; oops my bad.....

88 Seaport has been on my mind. i was going to include "88" in a post along with many other projects yesterday. But i accidentally closed the page before posting.

With a recession appearing exceedingly likely to break before the end of the year, 490,000 square feet seems a lot of space to add in the late market cycle.

i wonder if it gets recycled and comes back as a pair of residential towers.

Last edited by odurandina; 01-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #1258
FitchburgLine

There's earth being moved on the site, but it seems to be for resurfacing the parking lot :/
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #1259
ngb_anim8

The James Hook lot. I'm assuming it's the address you're referring to. If so - Boo.
ngb_anim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #1260
BeeLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngb_anim8 View Post
The James Hook lot. I'm assuming it's the address you're referring to. If so - Boo.
You are correct (James Hook). They are talking about Seaport parcel D (88 Seaport Blvd).

Sorry but I have the same question as you. What's UP.?
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote