archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:34 PM   #61
shmessy

Re: BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
Would anyone be too upset if I just left it at BU Central? It not a traditional neighborhood but I think it is the clearest option.

BTW none of this matters but figuring out where neighborhood boundaries are is a fun discussion.
I'm in full agreement. That makes complete sense - - that's where it is!

"Kenmore Square" put images in peoples' minds that really didn't jibe with the location of this project. And, when discussing the building's context with the surroundings, it certainly did matter.
shmessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #62
Justin7

So now I'm curious how people differentiate BU Central and BU East. I've always just looked at the campus as East and West, separated by the large dead area/pike/bridge.

I know there is a Central T stop, but if we're going by that this lot is actually further east than the BU East T stop.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #63
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
So now I'm curious how people differentiate BU Central and BU East. I've always just looked at the campus as East and West, separated by the large dead area/pike/bridge.

I know there is a Central T stop, but if we're going by that this lot is actually further east than the BU East T stop.
Hmmm...I'd say once you get to the CAS building up to the BU Bridge you're in Central Campus, so that would include Warren Towers, the Dugout, GSU, law school, etc. That would leave South Campus as anything on the other side of the Pike down to Beacon St. West Campus is BU Bridge out to Babcock/sports complex while East is Myles and the BU Bookstore area up to where this building is being proposed to be built.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #64
TomOfBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Hmmm...I'd say once you get to the CAS building up to the BU Bridge you're in Central Campus, so that would include Warren Towers, the Dugout, GSU, law school, etc. That would leave South Campus as anything on the other side of the Pike down to Beacon St. West Campus is BU Bridge out to Babcock/sports complex while East is Myles and the BU Bookstore area up to where this building is being proposed to be built.
You ae all operating on the false assumption that BU actually has a "campus".
TomOfBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #65
bdurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
This is pretty much how they layout the campus on the maps.
bdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #66
bdurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post

There was discussion about eliminating BU East and combining it with BU Central at one point. I always felt this would have been a good idea to keep the Green Line moving more efficiently through the Central campus area and getting people into Kenmore quicker. Not sure why that planned stalled out.
bdurden is offline   Reply With Quote