archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #281
bigpicture7

Re: Landmark Center Expansion | Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetcarl View Post
I'm gonna start calling that move the Boston window. It's the architectural equivalent of your mom telling the person at the ticket counter you were still 9 so you could get children's prices even though you were clearly in middle school.
The juxtaposition with the Landmark's central tower is fascinating (middle renders) - that tower is actually not that tall, but its architecture has the opposite effect: making it seem much taller and grander than it really is. We'll soon have two opposite effects right next to each other.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #282
odurandina

This box is pretty lame. We're gonna have a wall of 200 foot midrises here too?. Every neighborhood in Boston is a poster child of awesomeness and pc squat planning.

How did that god-damned neighborhood supertall (Harry Agganis) ever slip thru at 339'?

Last edited by odurandina; 03-21-2018 at 02:47 PM.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 PM   #283
mdd

Why is everything about height with you?
mdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #284
odurandina

Cuz squat planning renders an incredibly butt ugly aestetic from all points of view. Every city seems to understand this reality -- but 1 continues to lag. An appropriate variety of heght is years overdue. By trying to be perfect, we end up with ugly.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #285
bakgwailo

How many super talls (or even over 200') are they building over in your suburb? The height and density in the Fenway area is great now, especially compared to what it was before. But, someone better tell Paris or even Tokyo they need to build taller, too, to become a great city.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #286
odurandina

Ok, the dull box is fine.

Sign here.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #287
coleslaw

This looks better than most of the taller buildings going up in boston. I also think the fetish on height is bizarre. I would much rather have better activated and more walkable streets and more consistent density than I would have one or two giant buildings.
coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #288
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
The juxtaposition with the Landmark's central tower is fascinating (middle renders) - that tower is actually not that tall, but its architecture has the opposite effect: making it seem much taller and grander than it really is. We'll soon have two opposite effects right next to each other.
^ to clarify: my comment had nothing to do whatsoever with height fetishizing or height advocacy. I merely meant to point out the coincidence of two contrasting optical illusion effects being positioned right next to each other (one that makes a building seem taller; one that makes a building seem shorter).
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #289
cca

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Cuz squat planning renders an incredibly butt ugly aestetic from all points of view. Every city seems to understand this reality -- but 1 continues to lag. An appropriate variety of heght is years overdue. By trying to be perfect, we end up with ugly.
Point 1 = opinion
Point 2 = opinion
Point 3 = assumption
Point 4 = opinion
Point 5 = wacky hypothesis

Tall does not always equal beautiful. You can have lots of tall ugly things. Some of the most beloved urban environments in the world are ones where there is a low datum with special moments popping up. The super-tall environments of Shanghai ... Dubai .. Hong Kong ... and Singapore are not what one would consider model urban environments. Yet .. tall they are.
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #290
stick n move

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
Looks very nice. Love the nod to industrial windows.

Interesting to notice how the design - at first glance - makes the floor number look like half of what it actually is due to the window divisions only every other floor.
Yea youll see that a lot around here if you look. Theyre even doing it on 115 winthrop. Its an attempt to make a building look shorter than it really is. Its actually 14 stories tall even though they attempt to hide it here (not including the roof).

To the people who dont like this, I do, and I think its appropriate for the area.

Its also much different than anything in the area and its very industrial looking. I think they do a good job here of making it look rugged, they also hide the height well, which is a bad thing for many people on here, but I think in this situation it works.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #291
citylover94

I have to agree with Stick on this one. I think this is a well done design.
citylover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #292
odurandina

Manhattan's upper East Side has had a huge influence on my love for an increased dissimilarity in height, and emphasizing slender building... Some projects going up between 140 and 200' such as can be found on the New York Streets, Fenway, and Allston/Brighton along the Pike Wall, Harvard Campus, Train Yards, Longwood Medical Campus, Dot Ave, Mission Hill, Roxbury etc, could benefit to have a bit more variance, and simply being less fat imo.

Take the changes to the Flower Exchange main tower. Nice change; but why not go even less fat, and get a bit narrower and taller?

The day is coming when we will be so scarce with land, that we may (HOLY CHRIST) begin to actually do this. Take Brookline Ave near John Henry Park; Why not start now?

Last edited by odurandina; 03-22-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #293
stick n move

Theres plenty of land. Theres also plenty of crap to replace once we do run out (not in our lifetimes).
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #294
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
How many super talls (or even over 200') are they building over in your suburb?
This should have been the end of the discussion.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #295
DZH22

The windows and material of this one look awesome. However, I absolutely understand lamenting the wall-effect. For instance, this building is going to completely block the old Landmark Center tower from both the river and Fenway. If it was turned on its side (ie went more vertical) there would be more space around it to maintain views of the rest of the older building. Instead, many of these huge wall buildings proposed in Boston are going to be acting more as barriers to the rest of the city, rather than melding in seamlessly.

Another good example is the stacked cube building proposed for the Back Bay Garage. If it went taller and thinner, it would also maintain more view on either side of it. Instead it will completely block the Hancock from a ton of angles, and overwhelm the area with its girth.

I feel like from too many angles, we are allowing single monstrous buildings to wall off the rest of the city. It throws everything out of scale for me, and almost isolates the areas by not being able to see around these gigantic barriers to the rest of the city. My least favorite building in Boston is probably Tremont on the Common, and too many buildings seem to be emulating the general shape of it, if not the atrocious design.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brookline ave, fenway, landmark center, steve samuels