archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #21
jl326

Re: MassMutual | 10 Fan Pier Blvd | Fan Pier Parcel E | Seaport

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator4 View Post

I am pissed off that this project is not going to have end up having a hotel. This was originally pitched as having a Grand Hyatt as the centerpiece. These office buildings and condos are not mixed use! A project of this size and importance should have more benefits than tiny green spaces and the private ICA.
The ICA is not private.. I understand your snark about events being held there from time to time (which include weddings), but c'mon.. it's not private and you know it. Also, offices + condos + restaurants + retail + yoga studio + virtually free civic space rent @ 50 Liberty + Bright Horizon's childcare = mixed use.

On a whole separate note, I guess there are plans to really crowd that marina with as many slips as possible based on that illustration. Some of those slips depicted are definitely not there today. It'll be a little sad to have it so cluttered.
jl326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #22
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Yup, One Harbor Shore Drive should be a hotel. Excuse my ignorance, but how does the Seaport Hotel fit into this hierarchy? Wouldn't it be above Renaissance and Envoy?
Forgot about the Seaport Hotel. In my opinion, equivalent to, maybe slightly better than the Renaissance but neither can be compared to the Envoy as they're such different types of properties catering to different demographics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl326 View Post
On a whole separate note, I guess there are plans to really crowd that marina with as many slips as possible based on that illustration. Some of those slips depicted are definitely not there today. It'll be a little sad to have it so cluttered.
That's probably the plan. This same company singlehandedly destroyed Provincetown harbor with the new Provincetown Marina catering nearly exclusively to the tacky and obnoxious power yacht crowd. It's almost indistinguishable from Nantucket now.

Last edited by kmp1284; 06-06-2018 at 08:30 PM.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #23
elemenoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
This same company singlehandedly destroyed Provincetown harbor with the new Provincetown Marina catering nearly exclusively to the tacky and obnoxious power yacht crowd. It's almost indistinguishable from Nantucket now.
I don't get it when people complain about boats in a harbor. The Provincetown Marina folks have taken a disintegrating, underused pier and turned it into a nice harborfront marina:
http://ptownmarina.com/

Both Boston and Provincetown have waterfronts with a huge amount of non-water-dependent uses (condos in Ptown and offices in Boston). Ptown used to have over 70 piers, and now it just has three!
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #24
JANAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoh View Post
I don't get it when people complain about boats in a harbor. The Provincetown Marina folks have taken a disintegrating, underused pier and turned it into a nice harborfront marina:
http://ptownmarina.com/

Both Boston and Provincetown have waterfronts with a huge amount of non-water-dependent uses (condos in Ptown and offices in Boston). Ptown used to have over 70 piers, and now it just has three!
Well said. The horror, boats in a marina.... power boats no less!! FFS.
JANAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #25
kmp1284

Its more of a commentary on the clientele and the degradation of Provincetown itself into another cookie cutter Disneyfied seaside community devoid of any character like Nantucket or much of Newport. I have no problem with boats in a harbor. Ive been sailing the waters of New England my entire life but Id rather have the crowd that comes in on classy and traditional 40 to 60 foot sailboats than the type of people who gravitate towards things like Azimuts and Sea Rays. You would too if you had to spend any time around them.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #26
statler
Administrator

Just take out the pier directly below the ICA.

I can't find the quote now but the idea for the giant window facing down on the water was to showcase and frame the way the light hits the harbor at different times of the day & year.

That pier wrecks that.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #27
JANAM

Quote:
Its more of a commentary on the clientele and the degradation of Provincetown itself into another cookie cutter Disneyfied seaside community devoid of any character like Nantucket or much of Newport. I have no problem with boats in a harbor. Ive been sailing the waters of New England my entire life but Id rather have the crowd that comes in on classy and traditional 40 to 60 foot sailboats than the type of people who gravitate towards things like Azimuts and Sea Rays. You would too if you had to spend any time around them.
Hmmm....I guess I should take my 350 Sundancer elsewhere then.

What a snob!
Old 06-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #28
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANAM View Post
Hmmm....I guess I should take my 350 Sundancer elsewhere then.

What a snob!
Go trade it in for an Eastbay 38.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #29
JANAM

Quote:
Go trade it in for an Eastbay 38.
Immediately Commodore!
Old 06-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #30
BeeLine

No action yet, but I thought we needed a couple of before shots.

]

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial, elkus, mixed-use, office, retail