archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Design a Better Boston

Design a Better Boston Are you disappointed with the state of Boston's current architecture/development? Think you have a better idea? Post it here.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #3241
DominusNovus

Re: Crazy Transit Pitches

Hereís a different idea:

https://www.siemens.com/global/en/ho.../ehighway.html

Siemens is currently building out a system of catenary wires for trucks equipped with a new style of pantograph, sort of a middle ground between traditional semis and proper trains.

So, my crazy pitch is to use this for trucks around the city, particularly in the more industrial areas or areas that still have their trackless trolleys (Iíd suggest more, but I know a lot of people donít like how the catenary wires look). Possibly some of the highways, too, like in Siemensí design here. The MBTA could basically license out the right to use their lines, for a source of revenue. The vehicles would need to be either hybrid or have good sized batteries, for times when they hop offf the wires, possibly to go down side streets.

Assuming for the moment that we had enough of these in residential areas, imagine if, say, your garbage truck or UPS truck was an electric vehicle, running silently, instead of a noisy and smelly diesel (though you cant avoid the garbe smell!).
Old 11-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #3242
mcus29

I feel like we live in a time where we should be removing wires and not adding more. It's more prevalent in the suburbs. There are so many places that would be so much more pleasant without wires stretching from every structure everywhere you look. I know this is more for highways but just saying.
mcus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #3243
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcus29 View Post
I feel like we live in a time where we should be removing wires and not adding more. It's more prevalent in the suburbs. There are so many places that would be so much more pleasant without wires stretching from every structure everywhere you look. I know this is more for highways but just saying.
Never understood the hate for wires, but, even in this day and age we can barely do internet/TV over wireless (and it is much worse than over say fiberoptics), that I doubt you will see wires go anytime soon. Even cell sites need a ton of fiber back haul to work.
bakgwailo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #3244
mcus29

There's a lot of beauty to see up in the sky but gets ruined by wires, that's all.
mcus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #3245
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcus29 View Post
There's a lot of beauty to see up in the sky but gets ruined by wires, that's all.
Thats why the real version of this concept is pn highways and industrial areas.