archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #141
citylover94

Re: How Tall Are Boston's Buildings and Should They Be Taller?

I wish I could help with the diagrams but I started working a second job and there is a lot happening this month that I have to coordinate for that so at least for now I don't have time to work much on adding buildings, but once things are a little calmer you may start to see me adding things.
citylover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #142
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Add Austin to the list of cities ready to eclipse the Hancock in height. But hey, well deserved right? A tiny city like Boston has nothing on the likes of Austin, Denver, Oklahoma City, Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Edmonton, Calgary, Minneapolis... I will say that I think the design is pretty lame anyway. It's like the typical garbage Austin has been churning out lately, only at twice the height.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2019384
Eh, let those places have their taller ego project. Boston is leaps and bounds ahead of every city on that list by far more meaningful metrics than a single building's height relative to the Hancock. Be glad that a tall skyscraper isn't required for Boston's numerous virtues to stand out.

A city with nothing else will try to build something like that. Let them. If we build taller, let it be because we need to, not because we're desperate to appear as though we need it.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:54 PM   #143
DZH22

Detroit's proposal just grew over 800'. It's hideous but seriously, DETROIT?!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=208634&page=5

This is getting ridiculous. When the Prudential was built, it was the tallest building in North America outside NYC. Now 50+ years later and and there are over 20 North American cities that have eclipsed Boston from a height standpoint. It's a very disappointing turn of events. Hopefully Walsh puts this on the agenda for his second term. Sour grapes or not, we deserve better than Detroit, Oklahoma City, Austin, Edmonton, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Charlotte, Calgary, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and every other lesser/cesspool city that has out-built us over the years.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #144
odurandina

We could use a few more 200m buildings for purely economic reasons. If we had a few more permitted in the West End, we'd likely have a better chance at winning the Amazon bid. ...The residential tower at TD Garden was originally planned for 659' (201m) at the top of its very flat roof. Common sense was cut by 164' at 1 of our major transit hubs.

We don't have the land to be squandering what precious few (actual real true parcels for building very tall) we have left. ...To the naysayers, there's a big difference in 'could we' vs 'will we.' We can build 800' at the Garden Garage. Except that we're not going to build 800' at the Garden Garage–despite that the economics would very likely support that scale of height.

When you bring a letter of intent in Los Angeles for a 740' tower, the City comes back and says, 'sure you can't build it 940'? And they've got plenty of land.

To go along with Amazon's signature skyscraper, the accessory 500' office buildings should all come with 280' of condo's on top.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 AM   #145
DZH22

It looks like Denver is going over 1000'. So many lesser cities continue to blow by Boston. At least our sports teams have been good.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...50&postcount=9
Old 09-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #146
Justin7

o·ver·com·pen·sate
ˌōvərˈkämpənˌsāt
verb
gerund or present participle: overcompensating
take excessive measures in attempting to correct or make amends for an error, weakness, or problem.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #147
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
o·ver·com·pen·sate
ˌōvərˈkämpənˌsāt
verb
gerund or present participle: overcompensating
take excessive measures in attempting to correct or make amends for an error, weakness, or problem.
What makes Boston so great that it can under-compensate? We have 2 of the world's top universities, yet can't keep the vast majority of the those students post-graduation. Without Harvard and MIT, Boston would just be another Baltimore.

It seems like a lot of posters here would be satisfied with a never ending stream of 5 over 1's built from a combination of cardboard and feces, as long as there is a Starbucks and bike racks. Personally, I would like to be able to take as much pride in Boston's future architecture as I do in the past. Without the height to back it up, most of our new buildings continue to get overshadowed by the 70's boxes. In today's climate, the John Hancock Tower would never be able to get built.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #148
Hubman

Pathetic cities with nothing going for them try to build massive, one-shot edifices in the hope of making themselves look great. Sure, I would love to see a massive building in Boston, but I just want to remind everyone here how ridiculous these rust-belt/silicon prairie ego-trips are. No one would even compare Cleveland to Boston. Or even Austin.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote