archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Design a Better Boston

Design a Better Boston Are you disappointed with the state of Boston's current architecture/development? Think you have a better idea? Post it here.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
FK4

Kendall Square

I'm starting this thread as a general discussion on what the Kendall Square area needs - really an overall forum to encompass retail, housing, architecture, urban design, and transportation infrastructure but, regarding the latter, major discussions on public transit improvements or urban ring fantasies should stay in their respective, existing threads.

My take on Kendall as it is right now is that it retains a cold, institutional and corporate vibe, somewhere between a CBD and an office park. It's far too desolate than it ought to be outside of M-F 9-5. It remains like this for many reasons: housing is still limited and also housing that exists appeals to a very narrow demographic, transportation is limited (yes, RL stop, but why would one stop here when they could keep going into Boston or further out to Central or Hvd?), and the architecture is very monotonous and there's very little wayfinding or noteworthy landmarks, which makes it difficult to navigate.

This isn't to say there haven't been meaningful improvements, and significantly so: Third Street has become a new commercial corridor, as has Broad Canal Way. Binney Street, despite its shortcomings, has at least filled in. Plenty of new housing is rolling in now and in the next few years. And MIT is looking to revitalize the entire dead zone between Mem Drive and Main Street.

So: what do you think the area needs? This is for general as well as specific issues. Would be interested to hear from others...
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
FK4

Re: Kendall Square

Not to double post, but here's something specific: Binney Street in general, and even more specifically, the intersection of Galileo and Broadway: all four corners of that intersection are rounded and the pavement area is huge. Shoring up the corners and narrowing the lanes would really help.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
Not to double post, but here's something specific: Binney Street in general, and even more specifically, the intersection of Galileo and Broadway: all four corners of that intersection are rounded and the pavement area is huge. Shoring up the corners and narrowing the lanes would really help.
CRA is solving that problem:

http://www.cambridgeredevelopment.or...scape-redesign

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...land-Color.pdf
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
FK4

Chmeee that's awesome, thanks. I knew there were plans for a cycle track and I thought I'd even seen some, but that was a while ago. I definitely was not aware they had planned such a significant reduction in road width.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
SeamusMcFly

Very happy about that. This is my least favorite intersection in the area. The lights and walking dude lights are some of the least well timed that I know of. And, I walk this area constantly.
SeamusMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #6
odurandina

Globe story.... i'll just put it here.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/...JqK/story.html
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote